[RPG]Project ETL

Show us your works in progress and request feedback

Post » Tue Sep 30, 2014 3:17 am

Well, I took a break from this project because I was looking forward to dissecting the Dungeon Buster Open Source, found here. I figured this would be a great learning experience and I could cross reference some of my techniques with what other people were doing. Well... that was supposed to be released May 31st and it is now September 29th. I think I'll stop waiting.

I spent the past few months enjoying the summer with the family and worked on a few smaller games in my spare time. I didn't learn too many new things as far as logic and game design go, but, I was able to focus on art styles, animation, and colour theory; which I believe is vital to have a successful game.

As for Project ETL, this has now been moved to the front of the queue. Computer jokes :P Stay tuned for future updates.
B
S
G

Post » Tue Sep 30, 2014 5:40 am

Wow I like the fact that the GUI looks like a hand held console! Great idea!
B
S
G

Post » Wed Oct 01, 2014 9:00 am

Thank you! @DuckfaceNinja

One thing I despise in mobile games, is having to move my hands all around the screen. Sure, it's "the focus" of mobile gaming but it doesn't belong in an action RPG. The player should be focused on the game and not have to worry about how to hold up their heavy tablet with one hand and cut down monsters with the other.

Sticking with movement and information control to the left hand and leaving actions/spells in the right hand, I will be giving players a familiar sense of control without having to explain a thing.
B
S
G

Post » Sat Oct 11, 2014 10:50 am

Here are some swords I made the other night. Probably spent about two - three hours on this.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
B
S
G

Post » Tue Jan 27, 2015 5:35 pm

Christmas vacation... oh how I miss you!

One advantage of learning how to make a game, while you make it, is that you get to learn how to make a game!! This has a negative side effect unfortunately. As you learn more, you realize everything that you have already made is complete garbage. Your events are weak and prone to bugs. Art assets are way too big and there are way too many of them. Performance is bogged down by memory leaks and unwarranted collision detection. Thankfully, most of us learn from our mistakes and use that knowledge to grow ourselves and our product. That is what I have been doing for the past month so here is a list of what has changed "under the hood".

-Removed nearly 100 events.
-300kb removed.
-Removed 30+ collision detections.
-Taught myself to use a debugger. (Very important)
-Most events are now controlled with Functions.
-Switched to a Global Layer for the GUI.

So that is what has been going on since my last update. I have also reinstated my sister for art creation. Let's hope that doesn't turn into a headache. :)
B
S
G

Previous

Return to Works in Progress/Feedback Requests