'S' update as of 4/12/11

New releases and general discussions.

Post » Wed Oct 28, 2009 8:44 pm

ok, I got home
it definitely works with the new version, I'll update the links

[url:90pfkz7e]http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/1013446/s/s2.rar[/url:90pfkz7e]

(for anyone just getting here, the new tutorial is on the previous page)

UPDATE:: if you downloaded this earlier than 8:45 pm est, then it's not up to date. I uploaded the wrong version. please redownload
Spriter Dev
B
S
G

Post » Thu Oct 29, 2009 9:16 am

.... Now when I have almost finished my level editor / loader which is very complex and so you DO SOMETHING LIKE THIS!?!??!?! Not fun really-.- this is so much simpler and just more cool....

Oh well I think I have to start again
B
S
G

Post » Thu Oct 29, 2009 5:55 pm

Lol, my first serious cap was map-generator :) I'm still working on it it and guess that I'm in the dead end (too complex code, too many small bugs). Thanks to you, now I know how to make it better. Right now I don't want to copy your tutorial, but it helped me very much! To understand.
B
G

Post » Mon Nov 02, 2009 5:05 am

Hey again everyone. Thank you everyone who's been testing and giving feedback.

I have to wake up in 3 hours, so I'll keep this brief.
The main reason (from what I can gather) that python is "broken" is because it doesn't work with the picking system. Anything you do to an object is done to the first instance of that object type, regardless of what object or objects are picked. So, basically, picking doesn't work. And picking is central to what makes construct awesome.

I'll go into greater detail tomorrow. But for now, yes, there are new functions in 's' that "fix" python. And it will now be usable with the SOL picking system.

Stay tuned!
Spriter Dev
B
S
G

Post » Mon Nov 02, 2009 11:49 am

Really? :P I thought David was working on/had completed something to do with picking integration in Python. He's Mr. Python though, so would have to comment himself.
Scirra Founder
B
S
G

Post » Mon Nov 02, 2009 6:14 pm

[quote="Ashley":2c40i8ir]Really? :P I thought David was working on/had completed something to do with picking integration in Python. He's Mr. Python though, so would have to comment himself.[/quote:2c40i8ir]

yup. exciting times.

i guess if davids done it, there'll be something to hold over until then. there isnt much extra you have to do to the python with s. so it wont be any trouble to start some scripts the 's' way, and then continue the project with the integrated python.

also, for anyone whos wondering. you dont need to learn 's, to use the python. the python stuff does not depend on any of the other functions
Spriter Dev
B
S
G

Post » Tue Nov 03, 2009 3:21 am

Great stuff Lucid! I want to use S to make a simple inventory system for the adventure tutorial and the other game I'm working on. The latest version breaks the older tutorials.

I don't want you to have to redo everything, but can you give me a quick idea on what syntax is updated or no longer valid in the old tuts? I want to somehow combine the drag n drop feature with S to have an inventory system where you have collected items and then equipped items. I figure S is the perfect thing for this.
B
S
G

Post » Tue Nov 03, 2009 3:32 am

sci
basically, you still do everything the same way
it's just that the Actions Conditions and Expressions are in a different order
so when you load caps made with the older version they load the wrong actions and conditions
or it just crashes
I definitely need to go back and remake those caps
but all the syntax is still valid

if you're interested in trying the caps in the meantime
the original post has the older version of s that still works with the caps for download
then when you get to the level editor tut, or start working on your own you can download the new version again

also, feel free to ask specifics on your inventory thing if you run into trouble, and I'll be glad to help
it'll also help me figure out which things are most confusing and rework or tutorialize those features.
Spriter Dev
B
S
G

Post » Sun Nov 22, 2009 1:56 pm

It has been nearly twenty days since the last post. What is the status of S plugin? Is it considered finished? Can it be used for some serious stuff now?
B
S
G

Post » Wed Dec 02, 2009 9:29 pm

sorry for the delayed response
it can be used for serious stuff, if you don't mind it's current feature set
I realized recently, I will never finish my game if I don't start on it, so sorry if I've left anyone hanging, but as the game develops I will continue to add features to 's'
and so the timeline is indefinite for now
I will try to get teh python stuff out in a reasonable amount of time
along with a tutorial, but I really need to focus on my game before my job alters my position or hours and I have no more time to develop it

on a happier not,
here's another future feature of 's':
fluid dynamics!:
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=5123
Spriter Dev
B
S
G

PreviousNext

Return to Construct Classic Discussion