Sad and disappointed :(

Discussion and feedback on Construct 2

Post » Tue Jul 08, 2014 1:33 pm

There is a flappy clone in c2 examples. Could you try to compile it and try to see if it works really slow as well? I personally am having a great time and constant 60 fps with a collection of around 300 sprites, some of them as large as 1000x1000, many hand crafted bone-based animations and even particles. I use cocoonjs for export to apk and get very nice results beyond s3 and newer devices. On iphone 4s and an ipad2 I have 50 stable fps, I am pretty sure somethin is wrong with either

1-) the device you are testing on (may be a very old device?)
2-) the code (maybe you are missing something and doing something every tick when you only have to do it once? maybe you are spawning thousands of objects every second? maybe you are using text objects and updating their text every frame instead of using spritefonts?)
3-)the export method (maybe you are just running on stock browser of the device instead of using intel xdk or cocoonjs to export to apk first? maybe you have disabled webgl?)

Please do not get disappointed with the product before making sure you are not skipping something. C2 is really wonderfull to use once you get to know how to use it and what you can do with it. You can be sure that you can easily make a nice flappy clone with it which runs great on %90 of the current market devices. Basically, anything newer than s3 and iphone 4. Devices before these have some problems handling html5 and games with constant movement.

Hope you figure it out.
B
S
G

Post » Tue Jul 08, 2014 8:21 pm

@ashley i used this, found at this post
apk-creator_t93585
Maybe is wrong...
B
S

Post » Tue Jul 08, 2014 8:38 pm

@winwalker
The smartphone is a Mediatek quadcore Mt6582 based device. It's our brand phone :)
I decided to test on that because it's a mid-range phone (not too low not too high)

About first game will make treasure of all suggestion and i think will get something good with experience (hope so)
I can confirm that the c2 flappy bird runs normally on that phone

I'm much more worried about tilt controls... should be a pity to give up with the idea of using it :(
B
S

Post » Wed Jul 09, 2014 12:03 am

That's not an officially supported exporter. You should try using one of the officially supported ones for Android devices (Crosswalk or CocoonJS).
Scirra Founder
B
S
G

Post » Wed Jul 09, 2014 1:42 pm

pcprice76 wrote:@ashley i used this, found at this post
apk-creator_t93585
Maybe is wrong...

wow. Why did you use this one. Besides ashley's terse correct comment. The bundle contains an old version of android chrome. Also your GPU might be black listed. So Chrome that may have no WebGL and or a Black Listed GPu. Also we haven't seen any sample of code that i've seen as of this post. One of the huge mistakes beginners make is numerous collision checks.

Also apk-creator path is mostly for those with more tech saavy. Like Ashley I really suggest you use the official Android Export and XDK. however I also suggest checking up on using the remote downloading of games through Android. Rathert han having to push the games to XDK regularly :\
B
S
G

Post » Wed Jul 09, 2014 5:51 pm

@jayderyu
" however I also suggest checking up on using the remote downloading of games through Android"
Emh... can you explain me this last part? Ehehe
Or even a link to a resource could be fine... didn't understand it :D
Thanks!
B
S

Post » Sun Jul 13, 2014 2:32 pm

Ok, it seemd that i got it!
Seems that on mediatek devices there are many problems running games exported in crosswalk
I tried in fact the preview in chrome on my mobile (a mediatek MT6592 octacore) and the result was terrible, the game runs in slow motion.
Then tried with the cocoonjs preview app and not only it runs at 60fps but also tilt was working!!
:)
B
S

Post » Sun Jul 13, 2014 4:23 pm

This is not good news. If Crosswalk is that bad on certain cpus & gpus whilst coocoon works fine, then the problem is not the device but crosswalk :(
B
S
G

Post » Mon Jul 14, 2014 2:51 am

bjadams wrote:This is not good news. If Crosswalk is that bad on certain cpus & gpus whilst coocoon works fine, then the problem is not the device but crosswalk :(

Crosswalk blacklist a lot of GPUs based on the Google Chrome blacklist, so thats why they run poorly. They are updating it so you can choose to ignore the blacklist and your game will be GPU accelerated.
B
S
G

Post » Mon Jul 14, 2014 1:12 pm

I'm also fairly sure that preview in chrome is slower than running it natively for e.g. through the official XDK app (Intel App Preview)
B
S
G

Previous

Return to Construct 2 General