Sale for Developers Looking for Vector Software

Discussion of tools and resources for game developers

Post » Wed Oct 01, 2014 1:55 am

Flash is no doubt universal, while spriter is new kid on the block. I came to know about it only on scirra forums. I believe spriter has a plugin only for construct. In that way it is very limited. I am anyway working with it right now to understand its pros and cons.

I have no disrespect for the software or the developers, nor I am saying it is not worth it, who knows it might be even better than Flash.

I did mentioned above : "Use Adobe Flash if you are going Adobe route". Spriter is not included in Adobe route :)

I have worked with all major 2D animation software including toonboomstudio. I am also currently writing a book on games and would definitely include Spriter in it if it is worth it. That is why I am testing it right now.

I did send them an email a month back, no response till date. Anyway no hard feelings man, I do hope spriter can pass the test and actually beat flash. I hate Adobe's new cc model.
B
S
G

Post » Wed Oct 01, 2014 2:42 am

famekrafts wrote:I hate Adobe's new cc model.

Completely agree, I hate the cloud idea, regardless of my net being shaky at times I like to actually run the software on my PC, not through a restrictive connection. So, I bought CS6 through EBay and it'll be my last ever Adobe purchase as the suite has everything I'd ever need. Besides, the features they roll out through each new version are barely worth an upgrade cost, they're that inconsequential to many. Their monopoly on the graphics market hasn't been good.
Founder of Jadelight Studio, Developer of Libertas Aedifex, regular C2 Help contributor and fan of ambient music and Star Wars.
B
S

Post » Fri Oct 03, 2014 3:13 am

Serif DrawPlus is a very good vector software, that everyone interested in making vector art should try out. I use it many times (i use inkscape, too, but for a beginner serif is better in my opinion).
B
S

Post » Fri Oct 03, 2014 1:47 pm

@famekrafts No problem brother :)

Actually on the main serif.com site save 50% on everything today and tomorrow.

FYI::ALSO as I told people that want to use paypal they have to use Australia side when you decide to upgrade you have to be on that side for it to recognize any purchases you do it on the US side it will say it can't find your purchases.
B
S
G

Post » Sat Oct 04, 2014 12:20 am

I am actually liking the spriter tuts a lot. The only problem I find is that it is a bit unstable but that can change once the first version comes out.

I had a talk with mike at their forums and he told me I can sell the animations even with the free version of spriter. So for my next animation packs, I am going to include either graphics ready for spriter or animated in it, including the flash files.
B
S
G

Post » Sat Oct 04, 2014 8:48 am

The current version of Flash is a disaster: no motion graph, no IK bones, the object level undo removed, And the drawing tools have not been touched in ages by the devs - instead we LOST drawing tools like the deco tool.

For game asset creation and animation a bone tool and a proper motion graph are crucial. Without these I would not even touch Flash.

Spriter and Anime Studio are the way to go.
Win7 64- i7 [email protected], p6t Deluxe v1, 48gb, ATI 7970 3gb, EVGA 590 3GB, Revodrive X2 240gb, e-mu 1820. Screens: 2 x Samsung s27a850ds 2560x1440, HP 1920x1200 in portrait mode
B
S
G

Post » Sat Oct 04, 2014 8:58 am

Use old version of flash, I am using cs 4 and it works well. Because it is vector, you do not necessarily need bones or motion graph, a lot can be done with frame to frame animation.

Animestudio has one big problem, its locked bones creates jerking effect. That is why I moved back to flash, not sure they have fixed that now.

Spriter also has some jerks, as I was testing it right now, but it can be smoothed out.

Anyways you have to get a vector software, because spriter is not a design tool and trust me if someone has learned flash or illustrator, they will never go back to inckscape or other vector software, which are no where in comparison.

Spriter is looking good to me and affordable for now, but it will take me a week or more to completely test it.
B
S
G

Post » Sat Oct 04, 2014 7:18 pm

I may have been a bit harsh sounding (it was late). Flash is a good tool, although I never got along with its bone tools, and the severely handicapped motion graph editor: I like having full motion graph control as an animator. The motion graph and bone implementation in Flash was rather half-hearted at best, unworkable at worst.

And Adobe's ridiculous treatment of Flash has caused it to become a shadow of what it could have been in the animation market. Really, such a shame. They pretty much left the animation market open for Toonboom and other competitors.

I can't remember having seen the jerky effect in AS - although I only really begun to animate with it two years ago.

But the great thing is that we do not have to limit ourselves to only one or two applications! Use whatever works best in your situation and for your project. I use C4D, Blender, Lightwave, InkScape, Photoline, Anime Studio, Sketchup, Xara Designer Pro, a bit of GIMP (as a plugin to Photoline), and so on.

For more complex vector work I use Xara, while for most other vector work a combination of Photoline and InkScape works just fine (Photoline has a nice app link that allows me to do round-trip editing between the two).

I have used all Adobe software professionally since Photoshop 3.5(!). I still own a license of CS6, but I removed Adobe software for the most part out of my workflow in the last two years. Good riddance, I say. It's a personal choice: I just do not like Adobe as a company anymore. Subscription only is a no-go for me.

Yes, Illustrator is nice and all (although it has a lot of idiosyncrasies as well), but I just do not wish to deal with that company anymore.
Win7 64- i7 [email protected], p6t Deluxe v1, 48gb, ATI 7970 3gb, EVGA 590 3GB, Revodrive X2 240gb, e-mu 1820. Screens: 2 x Samsung s27a850ds 2560x1440, HP 1920x1200 in portrait mode
B
S
G

Post » Sat Oct 04, 2014 7:56 pm

For the new adobe cc you don't need a consistent connection through the net. Being online once a month is enough.
Check out our start-up and configure your own helmet in true 3D.
B
S
G

Post » Sat Oct 04, 2014 8:00 pm

Ohh and i would never ever use something else than Illustrator & photoshop anymore. Can't imagine a workflow without smart objects anymore. That saves hundreds of hours.
Check out our start-up and configure your own helmet in true 3D.
B
S
G

PreviousNext

Return to Tools and Resources