Save & Load : LIST OF PROBLEMS

For questions about using Classic.

Post » Sun Jan 09, 2011 4:12 pm

I realize it's frustrating to discover a bug such as the ones in the built in saving system, so let's all take a deep breath and calm down before anyone gets any angrier.

First, construct is in beta, which means all the bugs haven't been ironed out. No feature in the entire program should be considered to be 'advertised' as entirely bug free because of this.

Second, learning how to stay calm when encountering a bug such as this is an important and valuable lesson. Bugs exist even in professional development tools, so learning how to work around them when possible is also an important thing to learn how to do. In this case, using a custom saving system like newt suggested is the solution.

The devs are working to improve construct. However, construct is quite a complex application developed by volunteers in their spare time. Patience.

Irbis, it may be due to the langauage barrier, but comments like this:

[quote="irbis":148kss56]seriously instead of that biased Construct trailer, someone should make a list of messed up features in Construct.[/quote:148kss56]

...tend to be inflammatory. There isn't anything wrong with or biased about the trailer, it shows what can be done with construct in its current form, bugs and all. That said, a 'beta users guide' might not be a bad idea.
B
S
G

Post » Sun Jan 09, 2011 6:05 pm

i understand everything but my questions are still left unansweared.
i cant find a walkaround as long as i dont have enough information about the obstacle.
which i dont.
i belive those"
[quote:3qn2ac2k]Whats wrong exactly with save/load?
Why and how behaviours colides with save/load?
What are the effects of this collision?
How to avoid problems with this issue?
What and if there are any alternatives for save/load?
and why a broken feature is NOT disabled??? [/quote:3qn2ac2k]

are still valid
ImageImageImageImage
B
S
G

Post » Sun Jan 09, 2011 8:46 pm

Hello happy constructors,

[quote:2zzihyss]Whats wrong exactly with save/load?
Why and how behaviours colides with save/load?
What are the effects of this collision?[/quote:2zzihyss]
Each object/behavior has code in it to handle saving and loading of it's state when using the Save\Load action. I'm pretty sure the issues that come up with Save\Load action is because many of the object/behaviors don't save and load all of their state. The question is which plugins/behaviors?

Irbis you identified two:
[list:2zzihyss]1. Sine behavior: The source code isn't avaliable so I can only speculate that it's not saving the state of it's angle or opacity at all so with repeated Loads the angle and opacity will change.[/list:u:2zzihyss]
[list:2zzihyss]2. Bone behavior: I looked at the source and it does no saving/loading so when you use the Load action the bone behavior is reverting to it's original state.[/list:u:2zzihyss]

Also be advised that many 3rd party plugins don't save/load their state, my "Resource Plugin" included. So issues with them going back to their original state when Loading can be a problem.

[quote:2zzihyss]How to avoid problems with this issue?[/quote:2zzihyss]
For objects that you don't want to save\load you can give the "No Serialize" attribute in the editor.

[quote:2zzihyss]and why a broken feature is NOT disabled???[/quote:2zzihyss]
It works quite well with many objects such as sprites.

-cheers
B
S
G

Post » Sun Jan 09, 2011 9:18 pm

thank you for your detailed response to my problems, but there remains one last problem that is still unexplained in my opinion the most important as regards the Behavior problems can be solved by cons on that one day my backup running and the day after my application no longer works by f1 and f2 to save and load, can not be corrected by the user! So it's a real problem, tomorrow I will retry my project and tell you what it is.
B
G

Post » Sun Jan 09, 2011 9:26 pm

R0J0hound. Why are you not a part of Scierra dev team? or at least some kind of official "community supporter".
Thank you champ =) i just hope more people woud be like you
ImageImageImageImage
B
S
G

Post » Mon Jan 10, 2011 12:28 am

Even if Save/Load worked perfectly, I wouldn't want to use it for actually saving a game. It is much better to use .ini. New users normally think Save/Load is a good feature, but then find it has bugs or doesn't work like they think. Other methods (like using .ini) are just plain better methods, whether Save/Load has bugs or not, at least as far as I understand how Save/Load works.
B
S
G

Post » Mon Jan 10, 2011 9:02 am

Personnally i just use a HashTable, and store variables as keys with their values. And then save it to a file in AppData when i need.

For now it works really well, but i just hope noe bugs will show up later :\
B
S
G

Post » Mon Jan 10, 2011 9:44 am

I think i wil really use INI files but its very bad for beginner to can't save and load easily, i will continue to post in bug tracker the problems , hope that's resolve in the next construct ^^
B
G

Previous

Return to Help & Support using Construct Classic