Save System in Construct 2

Discussion and feedback on Construct 2

Post » Thu Nov 03, 2011 10:30 pm

Ditto. Anticipating this highly.
B
S
G

Post » Thu Nov 03, 2011 10:57 pm

I'm afraid it's a very complicated feature to implement and is not currently high on the list of priorities (it will be done eventually of course).

Currently I think the best solution is simply to use Web Storage - obviously it's a pain to try and save the state of an entire layout, but you can very easily save the current level/stage they have reached, in between separate levels.

For an RPG I suppose your best bet for now is to try that with extra stuff like your inventory/experience/etc. saved to web storage as well. So you can do it yourself via WebStorage, if you save at points between levels.
Scirra Founder
B
S
G

Post » Fri Nov 04, 2011 8:28 pm

[QUOTE=Ashley] I'm afraid it's a very complicated feature to implement and is not currently high on the list of priorities (it will be done eventually of course).

Currently I think the best solution is simply to use Web Storage - obviously it's a pain to try and save the state of an entire layout, but you can very easily save the current level/stage they have reached, in between separate levels.

For an RPG I suppose your best bet for now is to try that with extra stuff like your inventory/experience/etc. saved to web storage as well. So you can do it yourself via WebStorage, if you save at points between levels.[/QUOTE]

A tutorial on this would be great. I don't think I understand much about saving in web storage yet. =\

If there's a tut, I haven't seen it yet.
B
S
G

Post » Sat Nov 05, 2011 8:43 am

I imagine saving entire arrays would be a massive pain in the ass, though, since there doesn't seem to be any method to saving a whole array to webstorage in one action.
B
S
G

Post » Fri Dec 16, 2011 1:34 am

I know this thread is relatively old but is there really anyone who can explain how to use web storage for this or is there any prediction on when this save feature would be added. I ran into this problem of how to save on a current project I am working on.
Sorry for the flash back to the past though.
B
S
G

Post » Fri Dec 16, 2011 1:36 am

@ZakkiOrichalcum: check the "how do I FAQ" there is an example of level editor that uses webstorage, and other examples in the section "Webstorage".

It might help you out.
New to Construct ? Where to start

Image Image
Image Image

Please attach a capx to any help request or bug report !
B
S
G

Post » Fri Dec 16, 2011 1:52 am

Oh, thanks Kyatric. Much obliged.
B
S
G

Post » Tue Jan 03, 2012 9:32 am

Hi, not to bump an old thread...

But what if I am making a game to be downloaded? Basically, what I'm planning on doing, is using Construct 2 to make the game, and then maybe use a wrapper to make it executable. HTML5 with Construct 2, but downloaded and installed and run to play.

The only thing I'm having problems with is coming up with a way to save data. I'm making a Hidden Object Game. So I'd like to be able to have player profiles, to which they can save their progress.

I'd prefer to keep this all done offline, so that a user doesn't have to be connected to the internet to save. Is there SOMETHING that can be done?

People have mentioned WebStorage, but I'm not sure if that's something that would work in the situation I'd be in? :)Nathanial2012-01-03 09:35:03
B
G

Post » Tue Jan 03, 2012 12:03 pm

Good question, I'm interested in this too.

Is there some way to invoke "external" javascript from within Construct 2? So that if I embed a browser control in an executable and use some Interop API to create JS objects on the browser, I could e.g. call "javascript: save (level, exp, inventory)" from within Construct 2, and get a callback in my (C#, Java etc) code? - from there I can save to disk "the old way".

Thanks.
B
S
G

Post » Tue Jan 03, 2012 1:30 pm

@Geo: There is the Call javascript custom plugin that allows to call external js.

@Nathanial: I think wrappers should handle webstorage as basicly it is an embedded browser.
Check this topic. The last pages turns around the wrapping subject. You might get some useful informations there.
New to Construct ? Where to start

Image Image
Image Image

Please attach a capx to any help request or bug report !
B
S
G

PreviousNext

Return to Construct 2 General