Save System in Construct 2

Discussion and feedback on Construct 2

Post » Sat Jul 28, 2012 12:38 pm

Complete save system idea for a good RPG:

Quicksaves are accumulating: any time the player presses Quicksave, it is stored on disk on an external location like:
C:\Documents\MyGames\Good_RPG\Savegame\quick_01.sav
then at next Quicksave-hotkey press as quick_02.sav .. 20.

The quick saved games are timestamped in the game maybe with a thumbnail of the current area where the player is and any one of them can be loaded back at any time.

If a maximum of ~20 quicksaves are reached the oldest quicksave is getting overwritten: rotating save system.

The player is also able to save game normally to a file
C:\Documents\MyGames\Good_RPG\Savegame\game_01.sav ..02...game_20.sav , etc..

The number of these savegames is unlimited.
B
S
G

Post » Sun Jul 29, 2012 8:15 am

I checked out Construct 2 alternatives - wikipedia 2D/3D game engines list - tried and found that currently no one is doing it better. Construct 2 is - and here i wish to banish Javascript file-access restrictions from this Reality - the best if you do NOT wan't to waste time with coding the whole game in C++ and coding the toolset.

Webstorage, local storage shall remain the only routes.

The best solution is COMPLETE STATE STORAGE, saving the whole game application with its save states and everything. This might give the advantage to encrypt the saved data - making it harder to crack the game.

Piracy seems to be battled best by frequent game updates and how Blizzard did it with Diablo, that large part of the game resides on their server - inaccessible - and the server is sending out only tiny parts of new data to the game client when the player enters a new dungeon or levels up, mission is progressed, loot is found, etc..

mercy2012-07-29 08:16:11
B
S
G

Post » Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:50 pm

i am doing an rpg game,
and i barely have any motivation to continue to expand the game
if i dun have a reliable save system.

(webstorage and local storage)
if i use my ccleaner, all data is gone.
i dun feel safe at all with webstorage and local storage for
an long rpg game.

is the following possible?
a- save the entire game into a gameslot like offline computer game, which i guess will requires a text file to be generated as well.

b- make it like other games in the internet, make user accounts and
    passwords?
    (i like and want this, but i have no idea how to do it.)

(i might currently switch to a new game which is like arcade fighting
with comboes as it dun really requires a save system.)foxrain42013-01-31 15:04:02
B
S
G

Post » Thu Feb 14, 2013 4:59 pm

Ashley, you know more about this feature?
I also work on an RPG and I begin to doubt able to go through without this backup system ...
Create a backup for the inventory with WebStorage is extremely fastideux, if not impossible in some cases.
B
S
G

Post » Thu Feb 14, 2013 6:49 pm

I too will be needing, down the road, a save/load system. But I was thinking if there was a way to export values to a .txt file and then have the system on load read those values in some way, you could then save to the local drive.

But I have no idea if C2 is capable of out-putting to a text file.
MOO
B
S
G

Post » Thu Feb 14, 2013 7:44 pm

[QUOTE=Stomphoof] I too will be needing, down the road, a save/load system. But I was thinking if there was a way to export values to a .txt file and then have the system on load read those values in some way, you could then save to the local drive.

But I have no idea if C2 is capable of out-putting to a text file.[/QUOTE]

This + a lil ol' encryption, would be extremely useful!Jase002013-02-14 19:45:06
B
S
G

Post » Thu Feb 14, 2013 8:25 pm

Hey guys -- I'm back

I'm thinking of making something along these lines as a temporary solution until this is figured out.

My idea would be a "game data object". It would provide the following:

Multiple arrays
Add object (would add a type of object to be saved later on) to save list
Save arrays to string
Load arrays from string
Save objects to string (would save x,y,angle,animation / frame,variables)
Load objects from string
Save objects AND arrays to string
Load objects AND arrays from string

So then to save with this, we could:
- Add "player" to save list
- "Save objects AND array to string"

For a map editor type thing, we could:
- Add "rock" to save list
- Add "tree" to save list
- Add "player_start_point" to save list
etc. - then save

Now -- it's been about a year or two since my last plugins -- and I'm not sure if this is completely possible, but if it is, I'll try to figure it out. I'm working on an RTS myself, and so this would be useful.
B
S
G

Post » Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:15 pm

[QUOTE=Jase00] [QUOTE=Stomphoof] I too will be needing, down the road, a save/load system. But I was thinking if there was a way to export values to a .txt file and then have the system on load read those values in some way, you could then save to the local drive.

But I have no idea if C2 is capable of out-putting to a text file.[/QUOTE]

This + a lil ol' encryption, would be extremely useful![/QUOTE]

Sadly I am a complete noob when it comes to Construct 2 or programming in general, so I got nothing haha.

But it was an idea I had.
MOO
B
S
G

Post » Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:10 pm

No answer ? Ashley ?
B
S
G

Post » Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:19 pm

@jessejoh

I had made this plugin before.

It will be a lot of effort to save/load ALL properties of instances (and their behaviors), especial there had many 3rd plugins.

I though it is better to define an interface in plugn SDK to support this save/load (serialize/deserialize) feature officially, so that all of things could be saved/loaded in one touch.rexrainbow2013-02-18 23:28:32
B
S
G

PreviousNext

Return to Construct 2 General