Scale Behavior

New releases and general discussions.

Post » Sat Feb 20, 2010 5:33 pm

That is really nice looking =)
B
S
G

Post » Sun Feb 21, 2010 3:36 am

I'll have time to work on this come Tuesday, but it would be helpful if you could pull together a list of actions that you'd like to see before then. It would also be helpful if you could be as descriptive as possible about each one that way I don't make the plugin in a way that seems fine to me but odd to others. :P
B
S
G

Post » Sun Feb 21, 2010 6:15 am

Id say you'd want a setting for min, and max, as well as starting increment, you know up, or down.
The question is are you going to make it like sine, so that it can work as a wave, or will it just be one cycle?
Also are you just going to do size, or do you want to include angle, opacity, x, and y, etc?
Image Image
B
S
G

Post » Sun Feb 21, 2010 8:43 am

[quote="linkman2004":16ucrgfi]I'll have time to work on this come Tuesday, but it would be helpful if you could pull together a list of actions that you'd like to see before then. It would also be helpful if you could be as descriptive as possible about each one that way I don't make the plugin in a way that seems fine to me but odd to others. :P[/quote:16ucrgfi]

Ok, I'll give it a shot - surely others may have ideas as well, but here's how I'd see it (having taken a big knife to the initial description and trimmed off all the fat):

I'll use a mockup of how it may look in the editor, seems to help with describing it. So Anyhow:

Basically like the Fade behavior, but for Scaling. Let's go over the options:

Activate at startup - same as Fade.

Scale over time - if this is greater than 0 then it's an animated scale and you set the time in ms to go from current size to the new one.

Horizontal Scale (px or %) and Vertical Scale (px or %) - this would be the meat and potatoes right here - if it could understand % then there's no need for a separate proportional scale behavior - just set both Horizontal and Vertical Scale to, say, 150% and you get proportional scaling.

Set the size in pixels and it scales to that (up or down, as needed).

Destroy afterwards - same as Fade. So you could have it scale to 1 px and then disappear. Or combine with Fade, scale to 200% or more and get some nice puffs of smoke.

Show in Layout Editor - Not sure if this can be done, but it would be cool - check this to see the end size of the scale - would help with some decisions without starting the layout all the time.

Now onto the editor side:

I'm not sure if a separate Set Up window is possible, looks like all the Behaviors so far use single-link settings. So just a mock-up for that. Should work the same here - enter scale in pixels or %, etc.

As for Conditions - not sure if On Scale start is necessary, since mostly it would already be there because of some event. On Scale complete could be useful, though.

Well, that's the idea - hopefully it's not looking too imposing and not too much like terrible linkman exploitation on my part :) I'd gladly help with something within my skillset (mostly graphics work), that's for sure.
B
S
G

Post » Sun Feb 21, 2010 2:27 pm

Perhaps a Loop setting, for pulsing things.
B
S
G

Post » Sun Feb 21, 2010 4:27 pm

You might want to have a tick for use current height/ width, or use original height/ width.
Like it or not when you scale up things will get blurry at some point. You can deal with this by making the original a few sizes to big, and then scaling it down in the editor.
Image Image
B
S
G

Post » Sun Feb 21, 2010 5:15 pm

[quote="deadeye":1p341th3]Perhaps a Loop setting, for pulsing things.[/quote:1p341th3]

But the sine behavior already does this really well?

[quote="newt":1p341th3]You might want to have a tick for use current height/ width, or use original height/ width.[/quote:1p341th3]

I'd say that's starting to look like feature luggage (as a user you already set the size so you probably want it at that size and then scaled in proportion to that size) - it'd be nice to have it real clean and tight, just like the Fade behavior (yeah, I like it :)). But then again it's all up to linkman right now. And any version would be great anyway.
B
S
G

Post » Sun Feb 21, 2010 5:44 pm

[quote="Somebody":23gu519h][quote="deadeye":23gu519h]Perhaps a Loop setting, for pulsing things.[/quote:23gu519h]

But the sine behavior already does this really well?[/quote:23gu519h]

Yes sine works quite well, in fact you can use it to do all you've suggested by just comparing a dimension.

[quote="newt":23gu519h]You might want to have a tick for use current height/ width, or use original height/ width.[/quote:23gu519h]

[quote="Somebody":23gu519h]I'd say that's starting to look like feature luggage (as a user you already set the size so you probably want it at that size and then scaled in proportion to that size) - it'd be nice to have it real clean and tight, just like the Fade behavior (yeah, I like it :)). But then again it's all up to linkman right now. And any version would be great anyway.[/quote:23gu519h]

Why would you want a behavior, that cant do what events can with just a few lines?
Image Image
B
S
G

Post » Sun Feb 21, 2010 5:54 pm

[quote="newt":2vit6tds]Why would you want a behavior, that cant do what events can with just a few lines?[/quote:2vit6tds]

Few lines PER OBJECT... When you have dozens of unique objects you might want to use this with that adds up. When you want to change the scale speed - that adds up again. Want to try something different - more work.

The idea behind construct is to make people do LESS coding, so why not like this? Simple, quick, easy. Want to do more - you can. Don't want to - don't have to.
B
S
G

Post » Sun Feb 21, 2010 7:16 pm

Have you used families yet?
True Construct can do things quite well from an object oriented point of view, but it can be even easier from an event orientation.

>family.value = 5
>--family set height to lerp(family.height, 200, 1-0.5^timedelta)
>--family set widthto lerp(family.width, 200, 1-0.5^timedelta)

>family.height = 200
>--family destroy
Image Image
B
S
G

PreviousNext

Return to Construct Classic Discussion