Scaling things

This forum is currently in read-only mode.
  • I don't know if this is possible with Construct, but since the zoom thing isn't a perfect way to get a crisp pixel art. Can other things be used like 'Super 2xSaI' when the window is resized? Or any other of the similar sort of algorithms? Since they look quite nice

• Such algorithms should be used only when scale's 2x. If I think correctly, the blurry resizing is done automatically by GPU. If so, it'd be impossible to get rid of them.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • You could use the point sampling, make your graphics 128x128 and scale them down to 32x32...then if you use zoom the graphics will get more detailed but will stay pixel art....just an idea...

As for Super 2xSal ever seen it used in Direct3d powered games before?

• As for Super 2xSal ever seen it used in Direct3d powered games before?

I believe its 2xSaI (2xsai), also pm for you David.

• Doppel: what?

I've only seen such algorithms in games using SDL.

• Doppel: what?

I've only seen such algorithms in games using SDL.

http://www.lysator.liu.se/snes9x/

This, its emulator for snes that uses 2xSaI by DirectX (there is also a source in c++)

• ahh well. Guess having pixel art is really not ideal for this program.

• Thanks for the pm

I'll have a look over the source code more closely tomorrow coz i'm interested in how its done...perhaps I can make a pixel shader use the same algorithm

I also found a nice article about it on wikipedia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pixel_art_ ... algorithms

However, it seems like a weird filter to apply to a game. I mean I can understand it being used on old gameboy games where the resolution is a lot less, but I dont see why people would make a modern game and draw low resolution pictures and rely on a filter to increase the detail...I mean why not just draw a high resolution picture in the first place or use the filter on the image before loading it into the picture editor.

And the 2xSai algorithm seems to add antialising to the image...so doesn't that mean it loses its retro pixel art look?

• ahh well. Guess having pixel art is really not ideal for this program.

Pixel art seems fine, just not small pixel art. Take a look at SB's game. It's pixel art, but it looks good because it's large and detailed.

If you want more chunky, retro-style pixel art, you could always scale the sprites up 2x before you import them into Construct. That's what I plan to do with my next project.

• I'm not aware of a hardware-accelerated implementation of any of the pixel-art rescaling algorithms, as it may not be possible to implement via shaders. I did look in to one pixel art algorithm a while ago and it relied heavily on lookup tables, and I'm not sure how good pixel shader processors are at that. Still, as David said, why rely on a special algorithm to give your games detail when you can draw in the detail? Or why not use a different rendering application to scale all your graphics before you put them in?

• Oh Ashley I just realised if you draw a large image and scale it down to less than 50% of its size it uses the mip-mapped texture, which was generated with linear interpolation...might wanna disable minimaps in point filtering eh

• Mipmapped images are pre-rendered with high quality, not just linearly interpolated. I guess you don't want that for point sampling though.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)