Scirra false advertising?

Discussion and feedback on Construct 2

Post » Tue Dec 18, 2012 8:40 pm

I was just in another forum where someone stated Scirra was falsey advertising Construct 2.

Their point seemed kind of valid, so here it is...

On Scirra's home page IOS & Android logos are displayed as big as the HTML 5 one giving the impression that Construct 2 game engine directly publishes to these platforms (instead of advertising AppMobi or Cocoon)

I like Construct 2, but by no means do I currently consider it a mobile platform game development system.

Heck I asked I think a month or so ago what route show I go to make a mobile game (ie Cocoon or Appmobie) and even Ashely didn't give a response, he did reply to the thread indicating to me there is no "best" or even great route to make decent AA mobile games with Construct.

The poster stated they thought that Scirra was advertising IOS & Android is because Gamemaker can natively publish to these platforms, so Scirra is trying to me a ME TOO it seems.

.... flame suit on :p

straybullet2012-12-18 20:44:10
B
S
G

Post » Tue Dec 18, 2012 8:49 pm

Well, the main page says "publish to iOS, android" and other platforms.
And games made with C2 are indeed published on those platforms.

I don't think that's false advertising.
The end result advertised is delivered.

Anyway, I'm a PC player, always have always will so I must admit I haven't bothered to much about others platforms.
New to Construct ? Where to start

Image Image
Image Image

Please attach a capx to any help request or bug report !
B
S
G

Post » Tue Dec 18, 2012 8:51 pm

I agree with you, at least a little. I'd much rather the true situation be made a bit more clear, so we don't have so many mobile complaint posts and disappointed customers. However, I would not call it 'false advertising', perhaps I'd just say the way it is is just a bit optimistic.

Unfortunately Ashley was right, and there's no 'great' way to make a AA mobile app at the moment. Soon, soon.
B
S
G

Post » Tue Dec 18, 2012 8:56 pm

You are mostly on the mercy of appMobi and ConcoonJS, both are not really mobile ready and their support is not good to be able to depend on them completely and develop anything seriously.
B
S

Post » Tue Dec 18, 2012 9:27 pm

C2 uses a modular export system, so there is no doubt, in my mind, that there will be an exporter to those native systems.... someday.

Remember there is only one person working on this, and Ashley has stated he will not work on that part till he is satisfied with the Html5 portion.

In fact all current methods of publishing are html5 based
That's actually quite an achievement when you think about it.

So, false advertising? Not really.
Wishful thinking? Perhaps.

Also, remember most browsers play these games. Even on mobiles.
Image Image
B
S
G

Post » Tue Dec 18, 2012 9:33 pm

When people buy something they are paying and buying now, they are not buying someday or wishful thinking unless disclosed to them not available but upcoming features.

The export is not Construct, but some other software, I think it should be clarified that Construct does not natively export directly to the advertised platforms and requires a 3rd party to do it.

I know Scirra is a one man company for the most part, and Ashley's done a great job, but you still have to watch how you advertise your products. Others outside this forum are talking about this, so it must be an issue with someone.

[QUOTE=newt] C2 uses a modular export system, so there is no doubt, in my mind, that there will be an exporter to those native systems.... someday.
a
Remember there is only one person working on this, and Ashley has stated he will not work on that part till he is satisfied with the Html5 portion.

In fact all current methods of publishing are html5 based
That's actually quite an achievement when you think about it.

So, false advertising? Not really.
Wishful thinking? Perhaps.

Also, remember most browsers play these games. Even on mobiles.[/QUOTE] straybullet2012-12-18 21:35:21
B
S
G

Post » Tue Dec 18, 2012 9:38 pm

I think it should show that it publishes to HTML5 and then break into sub sections which say "Web", "iOS", "Facebook" etc.
B
S
G

Post » Tue Dec 18, 2012 9:50 pm

[QUOTE=straybullet] When people buy something they are paying and buying now, they are not buying someday or wishful thinking unless disclosed to them not available but upcoming features.

The export is not Construct, but some other software, I think it should be clarified that Construct does not natively export directly to the advertised platforms and requires a 3rd party to do it.[/QUOTE]
But scirra never did say it exported natively to iOS, Android, Windows Phone, Windows 8 or even Desktop. In fact, they didn't even say it was easy, regardless of whether it is native or not.

While it's a bit of wishful thinking to emphasize Desktop and Android equally, since it works orders of magnitude better on Desktop than Android/iOS/Winphone/win8, there are some games published on those platforms, to it's not "false advertising" by any stretch of the imagination.

It's harder to target mobile, and mobile versions of games are always less capable than desktop versions (unless you plan for mobile first), but isn't this universal? I know for a fact that GM or MMF games for mobile aren't as capable or performant as their desktop counterparts.

TL;DR; Yes, it's a stretch. But then again, all competitors make the same stretched claims. Also it's not false advertising because it is indeed viable to publish on those platforms.Fimbul2012-12-18 21:51:55
B
S
G

Post » Tue Dec 18, 2012 9:52 pm

Have you seen the home page lately, and no the other Engines I work with that display IOS & Android actually do directly export to ISO and Android.... Shiva 3d, Unity 3D, Corona, Gideros, GameMaker, Stencyl to name a few.

Tell me how this isn't misleading...

To top it all off IOS & Android are listed first!straybullet2012-12-18 22:01:03
B
S
G

Post » Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:06 pm

I think it's a valid complaint - you can export to mobile, but it's not made clear that to do anything other than use html5 in a web page on mobile browsers it requires third party options.

Perhaps a * with a note that says "requires use of cocoonjs or appmobi?" Otherwise, people like yourself can be left feeling misled.
B
S
G

Next

Return to Construct 2 General