Scirra false advertising?

Discussion and feedback on Construct 2

Post » Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:19 pm

Right now C2 is perfect for exporting to HTML5 (& all other html based platforms like FB, etc), Windows8 Modern UI, and with Node-webkit soon we will have a great Windows + Mac OSX + Linux desktop exporter.

When it comes to mobile exporting, the nearest usable thing for supporting HTML5 is Blackberry, and maybe soon we will have a direct export too.

As others have said you can export to android & ios and it works great if your game is a non fps-hungry puzzle style game, but forget action games for now.
B
S
G

Post » Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:12 pm

Lol I can't even capture all the platform options.
And he's not near finished with those. Soon there should be Boot to Geko, and I imagine Node for desktop as well.
Complain all you want, but consider the fact that you not only need a license from Apple to publish to Ios, but approval as well.
Image Image
B
S
G

Post » Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:29 pm

Can you put a C2 game on IOS and Andoid. Yes.

I know where your coming from. I know there more 3rd party steps to go through. However newt points it out. C2 exports html5 export ready for native distribution models.

There is also a difference in misleading advertising and false advertising. False advertising would be the case that C2 has no way to be put on these platforms nor any support. However there is a bit of information that could be expanded on to make sure interested parties are well informed.

Also to point out another person on the forums here experimented with Ejecta(from ImpactJS) and managed to get a C2 demo running. However the individual had to modify the webcode by hand to get it working. I don't see Scirra suddenly advertising Ejecta compatibility.

So I will disagree with the OP opinion.
B
S
G

Post » Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:53 pm

I have to agree with the general opinion: It's not false advertising if it's possible to publish your game on those platforms.

If it said "Export to" then I'd say false advertising but, (as shown here: http://www.scirra.com/forum/topic60466.html) there are Construct 2 games on the Android market already.

Edit: Also, they're paying for the latest "Beta", the license for all paid features, to sell their games, and all upcoming updates. No wishful thinking thereJayjay2012-12-19 03:21:37
"Construct 4 lets YOU make advanced games! (maybe)" Construct Classic - Examples Kit
B
S
G

Post » Wed Dec 19, 2012 12:44 am

I don't think it's fair to call it false advertising: you can actually publish to Android and iOS. However, I admit we should probably clarify it like Arima suggested with an asterisk and noting it's "via CocoonJS/AppMobi", since we've heard a few times now about people who didn't know it worked this way. This will help better inform users and avoid accusations like this.

It's true Construct 2 doesn't directly export an APK or IPA. You have to use appMobi or CocoonJS to build that. However according to appMobi's pricing page it's either free (for hobby use) or free for your first 10,000 monthly active users. CocoonJS haven't announced official pricing yet (their pricing page states it's currently free until 2013) but likewise I'd expect there to be a good free option to help get you going. On top of that, coce you've got the hang of appMobi or CocoonJS the export-and-test cycle is pretty fast (via Test over Wifi/Test Anywhere in appMobi, or the CocoonJS Launcher). Publishing takes a little longer, but you only do that once when you're done, so it's not so important. So I think it's fair to say you can get as far as publishing a few apps and there are no hidden fees or anything extra to pay compared to if Construct 2 did directly export an APK or IPA.

I know it's not so popular, but publishing iOS web apps does actually work surprisingly well with iOS 6 and newer. You have to be more creative with monetisation, but you also don't have to give away 30%, and you can add them to the home screen so they look and work like native apps. Web games also make it possible to make publishing deals, which some users are actively doing. I think that's a unique point to saying we have iOS support, because I don't think every tool that says it supports iOS also supports that.

Anyway, I'll bring it up with Tom and see what we can change to make our site clearer on this.
Scirra Founder
B
S
G

Post » Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:38 am

I'd agree with Ashley's sentiments. It's not false advertising, just a lack of clarity.
B
S
G

Post » Wed Dec 19, 2012 2:24 am

Newt, I been nothing but nice here so not sure what you are laughing at, I'm not being a fanboy either or drinking the Koolaid. And I am not the only the only pointing this out. Check out Spriter forums and Gideros forums there are threads there downing Construct for the advertising. I was trying to bring it to Scirra attention that its not being taken well outside of the reality distortion field.

All those "OPTIONS" in your screen shot are basically the same thing, just packaged slightly different for another programmers product to do the work of making it in to a "real app", I use that term loosely.

Also I own 3 new IOS6 devices and Construct's HTML 5 demo games run like crap on them using the built in Safari. Even my Playbook doesn't run them well or the 8 other Android devices I have, so no HTML 5 web games and mobile do not mix.

2 Ipad 4's and 1 iPhone 5, the games that have any action at all all suck, plain and simple.

HTML 5 is not a gaming platform, unless you want to count how many particles you can put on a screen. That may change, but currently I don't see many AAA html 5 games that are FPS's

I stated in a few threads I praised Scirra for what they (Ashley) have done, but the facts are there isn't a native way to publish and those free 3rd party options may not always be free or available.

Also a whooping 10,000 active users for free until you pay, please thats a low number I have apps with over half a million installs tens of thousands of active users still not banking much from them.

I have over 80 published APPs, not a single one from Construct, you know why because it's a crap shoot to figure out if they will work properly with Cocoon / AppMobi etc.

The IDE's I use to create them I know they will work on the majority of user devices without having to rely on some 3rd party hacks or hand editing code.

So newt, seriously what's so funny again?

How many Construct 2 apps do you have in Google Play or the App Store?

Newt, your game page ? http://pixelbyter.blogspot.com/

I am leaving this thread, because it is turning in to something I did not intend, just more of a public view of other forums about Scirra. I guess the messeger is the evil one in this case so I let you guys be happy in your own little microcosm.

[QUOTE=newt] Lol I can't even capture all the platform options.
And he's not near finished with those. Soon there should be Boot to Geko, and I imagine Node for desktop as well.
Complain all you want, but consider the fact that you not only need a license from Apple to publish to Ios, but approval as well.
[/QUOTE] 3rd party optionsstraybullet2012-12-19 02:34:34
B
S
G

Post » Wed Dec 19, 2012 2:42 am

You are right about a lot, but that's not how I would put it at all. Scirra are a small company, and they simply don't have the time to write all of these exporters. However, the public demanded mobile export and they were given mobile export. Yes, it's a bit dodgy as it uses such a young technology. But the option's there.

I do agree that Scirra should have been more careful with their advertisement of features - it's easy to believe that they offer full export. I'd much rather all the mobile exports be rebranded as 'experimental' as essentially that's what they are.

Regardless of their advertising choices (any larger company would have done the same in a second), Scirra have spent good time making a user friendly product for beginners and prototypers. There's no need to complain as AFAIK they have never said you will be able to create AAA apps and programs right out of the gate. You can, but it will take effort and time. It's never been said that other engines can't export better native apps. They also take much longer to make and are more tedious to program. It's your choice.
B
S
G

Post » Wed Dec 19, 2012 2:55 am

The lol is from the fact that there are more ways to export than those shown on the front page, and I couldn't even show all the different options. No one is making fun of anyone here.
As to what I have published, the answer is nonya.
However I enjoy the mechanics development much more than the game dev.
As to poor performance on other systems, perhaps you should post to the forums. It may well be just a matter of your own mechanics there.
My own is actually pretty good, but as stated before it depends on the type of game sometimes.
Also, hope you like the blog, I really need to pay it more attention.
Image Image
B
S
G

Post » Wed Dec 19, 2012 5:23 am

No need for things to get heated. I don't think anyone's trying to be antagonistic here.

As for the performance, construct games can run well but it requires making sure you optimize carefully, avoiding things like overdraw, doing collisions on unnecessary objects, etc. I have an action RPG prototype that runs at a smooth 60 frames per second on an iPhone 4S and iPad 3. It can be done, but it does take some learning of how to optimize for it.Arima2012-12-19 05:25:02
B
S
G

PreviousNext

Return to Construct 2 General