Scirra false advertising?

Discussion and feedback on Construct 2

Post » Wed Dec 19, 2012 5:23 am

No need for things to get heated. I don't think anyone's trying to be antagonistic here.

As for the performance, construct games can run well but it requires making sure you optimize carefully, avoiding things like overdraw, doing collisions on unnecessary objects, etc. I have an action RPG prototype that runs at a smooth 60 frames per second on an iPhone 4S and iPad 3. It can be done, but it does take some learning of how to optimize for it.Arima2012-12-19 05:25:02
B
S
G

Post » Wed Dec 19, 2012 5:44 am

Hmm, I actually thought he had a valid discussion until that little barely-provoked rant at the end, flaming all of us, and then his credibility suddenly and completely evaporated. I wouldn't worry too much about it guys, if anyone is serious about investing time into C2, I'm sure they would dig just a little further and see that 3rd party services are used - no one is hiding anything here.
B
S
G

Post » Wed Dec 19, 2012 10:25 am

[QUOTE=EyeHawk]if anyone is serious about investing time into C2, I'm sure they would dig just a little further and see that 3rd party services are used - no one is hiding anything here.[/QUOTE] While its not "hiding", front page is giving impression that from making to releasing games for all of those platforms would work out of the box.

I will admit that I first selected this engine due to that assumption, tho now I have dropped that idea and focus making PC/Browser version.
B
S

Post » Wed Dec 19, 2012 10:39 am

Well, the store page clearly states "Make iOS apps"/"Make android apps", not "Publish natively to...".
And those link to clear tutorials about the method used.

Anyway, Ashley already said they will clear out things on the home page.
New to Construct ? Where to start

Image Image
Image Image

Please attach a capx to any help request or bug report !
B
S
G

Post » Wed Dec 19, 2012 12:04 pm

@CoffeeOD - I think as a whole this topic has been blown out of proportion. Firstly, before you commit to any product/service etc.. you need to do your own due diligence. There are far worse advertising schemes out there that are clear breaches of the Fair Trading Act (or whatever the equivalent is in your country). C2 in my opinion is not remotely approaching anything like that.

Secondly, for a full license it's 79 Euros (I think). That's hardly going to break the bank, and even then you can download the free edition to play around with the exporters, and do an evaluation for yourself. That's what I did before purchasing my full license.

B
S
G

Post » Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:26 pm

[QUOTE=EyeHawk] @CoffeeOD - I think as a whole this topic has been blown out of proportion. Firstly, before you commit to any product/service etc.. you need to do your own due diligence. There are far worse advertising schemes out there that are clear breaches of the Fair Trading Act (or whatever the equivalent is in your country). C2 in my opinion is not remotely approaching anything like that.

Secondly, for a full license it's 79 Euros (I think). That's hardly going to break the bank, and even then you can download the free edition to play around with the exporters, and do an evaluation for yourself. That's what I did before purchasing my full license.
[/QUOTE]
@EyeHawk I think its good to discuss about any confusion/problem with product and for community (old, new or future) its nice to see that developers are doing their best in all situations, it shows that they actually listen and care which I cant say for certain developers out there.

Not sure if you understood my point there, since it was nowhere near negative as your reply might makes it look or Im just taking it wrong way (if so, I apologize). I understand situation and personally did not have any problems to find out that outside HTML5 its third party road.

My only "complain" was that front page should inform about that third party progmans, which from my understanding Ashley is working on to improve. I dont really see anything wrong about adding some sort of "statement" to cover third party requirement for publishing games to X platform, its clear and fast way to avoid future akward situations like this.CoffeeOD2012-12-19 13:31:06
B
S

Post » Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:27 pm

Personally I got C2 just for HTML5 publishing.

all the other export functions are extra jam!

I think that C2 can successfully manage to export to Windows desktop + Mac OSX + Linux using the Node-Webkit toolset. Windows8 already provides a good layer for html5 apps, and C2 has already made good use of that feature.

It seems that Blackberry is interested in the C2 technology and we might get a seamless export for BB10 too.

All that, for a 1 time price is already way too good if you ask me!

Who knows maybe in 2013 new technologies will come out that will make it possible to wrap html5 games for mobile, for free, like Node-Webkit does today for desktops
B
S
G

Post » Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:36 pm

@CoffeeOD - no that statement wasn't specifically aimed at you, it was a general observation. It's just a bit of a pet peeve of mine that some people don't bother to take responsibility for themselves.
B
S
G

Post » Wed Dec 19, 2012 3:07 pm

[QUOTE=straybullet]Also I own 3 new IOS6 devices and Construct's HTML 5 demo games run like crap on them using the built in Safari.[/quote]
Can you elaborate further on this? The stock Space Blaster demo runs very well on both an iPad 2 and iPad 3 with iOS 6 for me, virtually never dropping below 30 FPS. And at times it has a great deal going on with many animated sprites using blending on-screen at once. What we've seen with mobile devices with preliminary support WebGL is very promising too, since on desktop our WebGL renderer can be 2-10 times faster than canvas 2D and I expect to see similar performance gains on mobile. So I think canvas 2D is perfectly viable already, but support will get even better in future.

I think there may be an effect that since Construct 2 makes it so easy to throw in loads of sprites with its visual editor, you end up giving it more content than even a native engine could deal with. (Canvas 2D in iOS 5+ is hardware accelerated, so rendering probably happens about equally fast as a native engine.) The iPad 3 has quad-core graphics, but a modern desktop graphics card could have around 1000-core graphics... so for some rendering tasks, desktop graphics are literally hundreds of times faster! Do you think this could explain part of the difference?

To everyone else: there's no need to criticise @straybullet, sometimes negative feedback is valuable. Our own forums probably do a good job of filtering out people who don't like Construct 2, so it's rare we hear from them, and there may be things we can do to help resolve the criticisms and improve the product.
Scirra Founder
B
S
G

Post » Wed Dec 19, 2012 8:11 pm

[QUOTE=Kyatric] Well, the store page clearly states "Make iOS apps"/"Make android apps", not "Publish natively to...".
And those link to clear tutorials about the method used.

Anyway, Ashley already said they will clear out things on the home page. [/QUOTE]

I'm not going to lie... that was reaching Kyatric. C2 seems to be made for people without too much programming/technical knowledge and overall casual game creators. So "Make iOS/Android apps" reads the same as "Publish natively to..." to the intended demographic.

Glad to hear it will be cleared up though. As someone who bought C2 thinking I would be able to create apps much easier than it is and part of that casual demographic I do agree a lot of what's on the homepage was misleading. I'm just being honest. I do love the program and it has pretty much made me not care as much to publish to mobile but my original intention was to do so.

As long as we're honest as possible about the product, the feedback will shape up C2 (an already great product) to become a much much better product in the end.
B
S
G

PreviousNext

Return to Construct 2 General