Scirra false advertising?

Discussion and feedback on Construct 2

Post » Wed Dec 19, 2012 8:39 pm

I realise that this topic is pretty-much done, but I thought I'd throw in my 2c anyway...

I started using Construct 2 a few months ago. I've played around with other game creation tools and experienced their native exporting to various platforms so I'll admit that I was pretty taken aback when I discovered that C2's exporting requires a bit of a runaround. But I didn't let it bother me, because I found that the tool itself was pretty darn good and was exactly what I've been looking for (basically an alternative to GM). So a couple of weeks ago, happy with the program and keen to step it up a notch, I decided to buy a personal licence, knowing full-well what C2 is and is not capable of (and, admittedly, also hoping for future native exporting when the time comes). The information regarding exporters is not hidden; it's freely available for anyone who takes a few minutes to read a couple of tuts or manual entries.

With that said, I agree that it should be clarified on the main page for those customers who jump in without taking a full look around, but, speaking just for myself, it's not a big deal how it is now. It's the Internet; I'm cautious of any piece of software out there, let alone one that I have to pay $120 for.GeometriX2012-12-19 20:41:19
B
S
G

Post » Thu Dec 20, 2012 3:41 pm

As someone who recently started exploring & enjoying Construct 2, I have to say it's misleading.

If you do your homework before purchasing then the info about the available workflows is readily available (that is, not hidden), and brings a feeling of disappointment, because the home page certainly implies one-click publishing to all those platforms.

A simple rephrasing like "The HTML5 game creator with easy packaging/publishing for iOS etc" would be closer to reality.
B
S

Post » Thu Dec 20, 2012 9:08 pm

1 click publishing is a day dream!!

you guys should see the workflow to make a native game on ios and android, the process of setting up a work environment and compiling, sorting out certificates and provisions, etc etc....
B
S
G

Post » Thu Dec 20, 2012 9:32 pm

I found 30minutes into using the FREE version that it would not be possible to directly do Construct->iOS (It does not even interest me, and I still quickly found out).TheNormalGeek2012-12-20 21:32:29
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
B
S
G

Post » Fri Dec 21, 2012 3:48 pm

let's be realistic, if C2 also generated an apk and signed ipa with 1 click, on top of all the exports its already supports, then all developers in the world would buy C2 and leave the toolkits they are using now!

every toolkit has its pros and cons, NO toolkit is perfect. be realistic. if you want to deploy to many platforms you need 2 or 3 toolkits. c2 is definitely 1 of them, at least for my needs.
B
S
G

Post » Fri Dec 21, 2012 6:01 pm

Bottom line: do research on what you are buying, it's plain and simple.

I'm an early adopter, I supported this great software from the start and also gave it as a gift to someone and would do it all again. I first played around with the demo for a little while, read about it as well and THEN decided to spend money on it. Despite my wish for an .exe exporter back then, it did not take a genius to realize what C2 could do and in the end, the .exe export/wrapper is finally here. If you just jump in and blow money on stuff without first taking the time to research, you are gonna have a baaad time. In my view, it's yer own responsibility and ONLY yers to know what you are buying, don't blame anybody else but yer own lack of diligence, if not, intelligence when buying something. So Scirra did nothing wrong here, you did.
B
S
G

Post » Fri Dec 21, 2012 8:22 pm

There are tools that let you do the so called 1-click creation of your IPA or APK file. So it IS possible. Just not with Construct.MikeHart2012-12-21 20:22:41
B
S
G

Post » Fri Dec 21, 2012 8:57 pm

i would really love to know what tools can generate an ipa with 1 click
B
S
G

Previous

Return to Construct 2 General