Scirra front page - overkill?

If you have found a bug, or have a suggestion/comment then leave it here

Post » Thu Feb 09, 2012 10:16 pm

Hey! I thought i'd just share my perception of the front page design. It didnt cross my mind until a friend was going to check out the site, but here it is!

Isnt it a bit overkill with information? Or at least, the layout of conveying the information isnt quite optimal? I asked some of my mates on their last semester within bachelor interactive design as well, and they could agree that it might seem to be a little bit much text (or blown up), which may look like a mess put on a white background to some at the first few looks.

The font of the headings could be a bit off as well. I'm just saying, most website exits happens on the front page so.

Maybe i'm wrong here, so by all means, disagree with me :P
B
S
G

Post » Thu Feb 09, 2012 11:37 pm

I dont know much about web-design. But I like the visual styling of Scirra's website, Allthough I do not think its consistent. Everything except the forums look nice. I like the font you guys use(Lobster), I actually used it on my old website! Because I liked it so much.

So i might not know so much about Web Design, But I do know art. and green on it's own is too over powering, I think it needs another color. Red is greens complementary color, so using red will look visually pleasing to the eyes!

@Tom what do you think?
B
S
G

Post » Fri Feb 10, 2012 5:06 am

[QUOTE=smitchell]So i might not know so much about Web Design, But I do know art. and green on it's own is too over powering, I think it needs another color. Red is greens complementary color, so using red will look visually pleasing to the eyes![/QUOTE]

I don't see any green anywhere.
B
S
G

Post » Fri Feb 10, 2012 8:42 am

I do agree, it looks overwhelming, blown up. In fact, when using the browser's zoom function at about half the size of every element it finally starts looking more eye pleasing. I can't say much about the fonts and the general page layout. I don't like it at all, but that's totally subjective, and there might be more people that like it than the other way round.
B
S
G

Post » Fri Feb 10, 2012 3:41 pm

@deebee, It's a greeny blue. But to me its more of a green.
B
S
G

Post » Fri Feb 10, 2012 4:53 pm

I like the helmeted pig...
B
S
G

Post » Fri Feb 10, 2012 10:39 pm

It's been on my list for a while to A/B test different designs. We're getting a 30% bounce rate on the homepage which is very good, there's not much room for improvement there. With extra playing around we might be able to get it to 25%. A 30% bounce rate indicates the page is working and is quite effective.Tom2012-02-10 22:39:28
Image Image
Scirra Founder
B
S
G

Post » Sat Feb 11, 2012 12:27 am

I guess I see about the busy-ness.

but I also see how it can be very effective, it's like you see a normal page, and realize you can scroll down a little, so you do(it's almost involuntary) and then you keep finding large very informative stuff, so you're all like "whoa, physics?", "facebook", "wow!", etc
Spriter Dev
B
S
G

Return to Website Issues and Feedback