Scirra - Make a Game?

Discussion and feedback on Construct 2

Post » Mon May 04, 2015 4:43 am

This is a request for Scirra to make a game!

Now I am not suggesting that @Ashley stop working on C3, but that he oversees the production of this project. There are plenty of C2 gurus on this forum that may want to be enlisted, and I for one would even be willing to make a pledge to pay for it.

Why Should Scirra Do It?
    * All of us here want to see C2 and C3 not just continue, but become the best 2D game dev tool around
    * There is a lot of discontent with C2 at the moment, this needs to be addressed
    * I can't think of a better way to prove the worth of this tool
    * Scirra are the only ones who fully know this product and it's potential - and if they can't pull it off then heaven help the rest of us!
How would this benefit the C2 community?
    * It will show Scirra has confidence in their own game development tool
    * It would provide a showcase example of the power of this awesome product
    * It will demonstrate that this tool can be used to create cool games that the world can play
    * It would boost morale amongst those who have backed this product - that it is a viable development tool they can rely on
How might it help the C2 community?
    * It would show that performance\bugs issues can be worked around
    * It could show that many issues faced by devs are in fact caused by devs misunderstanding the event system
    * The source code could be used as a study vehicle to learn how to use this tool correctly and effectively
How might this help Scirra?
    1. When developing a game for the real world, beyond a few sprites and a couple of events, running in preview
      * It may help them understand better some of the issues their backers are facing with such a project
      * It may expose issues with the engine itself when used in this scope, which can be used to improve not just C2 but also C3
    2. When exporting a project
      * It could give valuable insight into the export options available to their users - i.e. make real tutorials available for great user PR
      * It would also expose Scirra to the issues faced with the most troublesome exporters - i.e. Chrome\NW - and give opporyunity to show Scirra community how to work around them
      * May also show that relying on Google is an exercise in futility
    3. It will either
      * Show that the issues\requests raised in so many threads about performance, native exporters, and the like, are not unfounded, and should be addressed
      * Or, that Scirra has been right all along, and the C2 dev community just has to get to know the product better
What Target Platform?
I would suggest two projects:
    One that targets Desktop
      Runtime objective; Silky smooth - fairly smooth is not OK
    One that targets Mobile
      Runtime objective: Smooth - at least on devices that have been out for 12 months

So what do you C2 devs out there think?
If it can be done, someone on the web will show you how to do it!

CDASI Games Mentality Break Splat-a-bug FlapFleet Challenge
B
S
G

Post » Mon May 04, 2015 4:50 am

Are you saying like a larger game, or a small game like what we have with the C2 example files? (Space Blaster etc.)
B
S
G

Post » Mon May 04, 2015 5:11 am

alspal wrote:Are you saying like a larger game, or a small game like what we have with the C2 example files? (Space Blaster etc.)

Not sure on how large it should be, but definitely something beyond the scope of Space Blaster.
    I guess it would be something we as community could suggest and vote on.
    hehehe, I remember somewhere on the forums suggesting the image on the Scirra home page should be made into a game!

I know that any project of this kind would not be a small undertaking - but I really think it would be good for both Scirra and the Scirra community.
    I myself am not the greatest artist, but could help make GUI elements, and would be more than happy to create them as a contribution toward the project.

B
S
G

Post » Mon May 04, 2015 5:38 am

have you tried the last penelope?
Sea Monsters template - Isometric
Also includes 40 pages PDF of optimizations and "how-to" for your games, and how the "sea monsters" template was built. Follow link for details :)

sea-monsters-templates-and-assets_t162705
B
S
G

Post » Mon May 04, 2015 5:51 am

Eh, I'm on the fence about it and don't think it'll happen anyway.

"How would this benefit the C2 community?"
If people want to see what C2 can do they can look a little harder. There are numerous good looking C2 games on Steam / Greenlight, and many more still in development. I dunno why it has to be said so much but most "real / serious / large-scale/ high-quality" games that would fully utilize C2 take as long if not longer to make than C2 has even existed. They would've had to begin development when C2 was still bare bones! Anyway..a lack of good games is not the problem; its getting the existing ones running properly on all systems and platforms.

"How might this help Scirra?"
Far as I know Ashley is well aware of all the problems we face using C2. He just can't do much if anything about them and so continues to target those who don't know better until things get sorted out. What options does he have at this point, really? It's clear that native exporters aren't happening, and it's too late to ditch HTML5/JS.

@saiyadjin It's "The Next Penelope". I made that same mistake earlier for some reason lol.
B
S
G

Post » Mon May 04, 2015 9:45 am

Scirra are making a tool, not games, and so I have doubts about the capacity of them to pull off a great game out of it as they are not game designers, could be wrong though.
Game design is all about decomposing the core of your game so it becomes simple instructions.
B
S
G

Post » Mon May 04, 2015 2:54 pm

This is sort of a ridiculous request. I know what you are after, but it's simply not possible. If anything Scirra would sponsor select developers to showcase their engine. That is what other industry software shops do.
B
S
G

Post » Mon May 04, 2015 3:23 pm

michael wrote:This is a request for Scirra to make a game!

Why Should Scirra Do It?
    * There is a lot of discontent with C2 at the moment, this needs to be addressed
How would this benefit the C2 community?
    * It would boost morale amongst those who have backed this product - that it is a viable development tool they can rely on

Not sure if having them make a game is really the best way to go ...

Jobel has the right view on it ... perhaps Scirra could back one of the community's developers. I seen a couple of the potential 'bigger' games, but so far all have mobile issues.

Didnt the next penelope have some mobile issues too ?
Who dares wins
B
S
G

Post » Mon May 04, 2015 3:31 pm

To my knowledge the only large scale mobile game is Mortar Melon - the rest were designed for desktop.
B
S
G

Post » Mon May 04, 2015 3:32 pm

jobel wrote:This is sort of a ridiculous request. I know what you are after, but it's simply not possible. If anything Scirra would sponsor select developers to showcase their engine. That is what other industry software shops do.

Well that is basically what I suggested in the OP:
"Now I am not suggesting that @Ashley stop working on C3, but that he oversees the production of this project. There are plenty of C2 gurus on this forum that may want to be enlisted, and I for one would even be willing to make a pledge to pay for it."

B
S
G

Next

Return to Construct 2 General