[SCIRRA!] PLEASE ADD SET ANGLE OF TILE MAP!

Discussion and feedback on Construct 2

Post » Thu Nov 10, 2016 6:36 am

I'm trying to use a tile map for a game character for a top down game and it's not allowing me to set the angle of the tile map. It's only one fixed position.
B
S

Post » Thu Nov 10, 2016 8:21 am

Do you mean by rotation? If so, tilemaps purpose are to have blocky style games (like placing blocks on a grid)
I'm not the best, but i like making games in Construct
B
S
G

Post » Thu Nov 10, 2016 10:14 am

MinecraftM153 wrote:Do you mean by rotation? If so, tilemaps purpose are to have blocky style games (like placing blocks on a grid)

No it's actually supposed to help with building levels and better optimization. But why couldn't someone use a Tile map for a character or something else.
It would be much better to use one tile map then creating hundreds of animations for one character. My game is a building game but you build the character not the world.
B
S

Post » Thu Nov 10, 2016 10:20 am

Why don't you put the tilemap for you character on a new layer, then rotate the layer? Maybe that could work?
Follow my progress on Twitter
or in this thread Archer Devlog
B
S
G

Post » Thu Nov 10, 2016 10:22 am

tunepunk wrote:Why don't you put the tilemap for you character on a new layer, then rotate the layer? Maybe that could work?

Yes that does work but when your talking about multiplayer it's another story because you would have to make a layer for each player.
B
S

Post » Thu Nov 10, 2016 5:42 pm

Why don't you just use spriter.....
Sorry to be blunt, but using tilemaps for characters is the worst idea for character design.

Tilemaps don't have an angle property because it just doesn't make sense having one.
Tilemaps are for maps, and that's period.

Spriter C2 Blog : https://www.scirra.com/blog/119/spriter ... onstruct-2

Spriter Forum: spriter-c2-update-11-2-bug-fix-for-performance-mode_t75748

Spriter website: http://brashmonkey.com
The Things you can create is only limited by your imagination. If you don't have the skills then use your motivation as a natural force to exceed all expectations. Chadori RebornXD
B
S
G

Post » Fri Nov 11, 2016 6:34 am

chadorireborn wrote:Why don't you just use spriter.....
Sorry to be blunt, but using tilemaps for characters is the worst idea for character design.

Tilemaps don't have an angle property because it just doesn't make sense having one.
Tilemaps are for maps, and that's period.

Spriter C2 Blog : https://www.scirra.com/blog/119/spriter ... onstruct-2

Spriter Forum: spriter-c2-update-11-2-bug-fix-for-performance-mode_t75748

Spriter website: http://brashmonkey.com

Because spriter makes animations only. What my idea is that a player can build their character in real time while controlling the character.
Say you have a block as the core of your ship and you want to add other blocks onto that ship from parts just laying around. You would have to make hundreds of animations for every possible way you could build your ship and then each block has to have it's own Health value. So with a whole sprite you can't say oh this block or that block was hit you can only do the sprite as a whole.

I know and I'm well aware what the purpose of tilemaps are but why can't I use it for character design when it would save tons of development time and make for a better user experience. Other wise I have to scrap my idea of being able to build in real time for a model sprite system which isn't my idea. All I'm asking for is a rotate Tilemap to position command which shouldn't be to hard.
B
S

Post » Fri Nov 11, 2016 6:53 am

It doesn't matter why someone would want to rotate a tilemap- it should be something that is possible to do because it would give more options and freedom to design a game the way you want it. I've wanted to do it various times in the past.
Also, rotating a layer with a tilemap messes up the tilemap's collision cells- the collision cells don't rotate with it.
B
S
G

Post » Fri Nov 11, 2016 11:08 am

Prominent wrote:It doesn't matter why someone would want to rotate a tilemap- it should be something that is possible to do because it would give more options and freedom to design a game the way you want it. I've wanted to do it various times in the past.
Also, rotating a layer with a tilemap messes up the tilemap's collision cells- the collision cells don't rotate with it.

I agree, It should be an option and the collision model thing needs to work with it.
I'm going to give this post a few days for a response from @Ashley then I'm going to submit an e-mail to the support to raise awareness of a much needed feature.
B
S

Post » Fri Nov 11, 2016 12:30 pm

This is the kind of thing which is a lot easier to do if we drop canvas2d support, but right now I think that would upset a larger number of people.
Scirra Founder
B
S
G

Next

Return to Construct 2 General