[SCIRRA!] PLEASE ADD SET ANGLE OF TILE MAP!

0 favourites
From the Asset Store
Add SubRip (SRT) subtitles to your videos in Construct 3
  • I'm trying to use a tile map for a game character for a top down game and it's not allowing me to set the angle of the tile map. It's only one fixed position.

• Do you mean by rotation? If so, tilemaps purpose are to have blocky style games (like placing blocks on a grid)

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Do you mean by rotation? If so, tilemaps purpose are to have blocky style games (like placing blocks on a grid)

No it's actually supposed to help with building levels and better optimization. But why couldn't someone use a Tile map for a character or something else.

It would be much better to use one tile map then creating hundreds of animations for one character. My game is a building game but you build the character not the world.

• Why don't you put the tilemap for you character on a new layer, then rotate the layer? Maybe that could work?

• Why don't you put the tilemap for you character on a new layer, then rotate the layer? Maybe that could work?

Yes that does work but when your talking about multiplayer it's another story because you would have to make a layer for each player.

• Why don't you just use spriter.....

Sorry to be blunt, but using tilemaps for characters is the worst idea for character design.

Tilemaps don't have an angle property because it just doesn't make sense having one.

Tilemaps are for maps, and that's period.

Spriter C2 Blog : https://www.scirra.com/blog/119/spriter ... onstruct-2

Spriter Forum: spriter-c2-update-11-2-bug-fix-for-performance-mode_t75748

Spriter website: http://brashmonkey.com

• Why don't you just use spriter.....

Sorry to be blunt, but using tilemaps for characters is the worst idea for character design.

Tilemaps don't have an angle property because it just doesn't make sense having one.

Tilemaps are for maps, and that's period.

Spriter C2 Blog : https://www.scirra.com/blog/119/spriter ... onstruct-2

Spriter Forum: spriter-c2-update-11-2-bug-fix-for-performance-mode_t75748

Spriter website: http://brashmonkey.com

Because spriter makes animations only. What my idea is that a player can build their character in real time while controlling the character.

Say you have a block as the core of your ship and you want to add other blocks onto that ship from parts just laying around. You would have to make hundreds of animations for every possible way you could build your ship and then each block has to have it's own Health value. So with a whole sprite you can't say oh this block or that block was hit you can only do the sprite as a whole.

I know and I'm well aware what the purpose of tilemaps are but why can't I use it for character design when it would save tons of development time and make for a better user experience. Other wise I have to scrap my idea of being able to build in real time for a model sprite system which isn't my idea. All I'm asking for is a rotate Tilemap to position command which shouldn't be to hard.

• It doesn't matter why someone would want to rotate a tilemap- it should be something that is possible to do because it would give more options and freedom to design a game the way you want it. I've wanted to do it various times in the past.

Also, rotating a layer with a tilemap messes up the tilemap's collision cells- the collision cells don't rotate with it.

• It doesn't matter why someone would want to rotate a tilemap- it should be something that is possible to do because it would give more options and freedom to design a game the way you want it. I've wanted to do it various times in the past.

Also, rotating a layer with a tilemap messes up the tilemap's collision cells- the collision cells don't rotate with it.

I agree, It should be an option and the collision model thing needs to work with it.

I'm going to give this post a few days for a response from Ashley then I'm going to submit an e-mail to the support to raise awareness of a much needed feature.

• This is the kind of thing which is a lot easier to do if we drop canvas2d support, but right now I think that would upset a larger number of people.

• If that's the case..... Then i also suggest adding a hotspot option for tilemaps so that we can have better control with it's angles.

That should also be included in the feature as a package.

• I would suggest changing the name of tilemap if said changes were implemented.

Also, what happens when angled tiles overlap each other?

Are they clipped, or does one get drawn on top of another?

If so, how would it pick who goes on top?

• As I said tilemaps are for maps, it seems that we are suggesting things beyond it's original purpose. If things aren't as simple as adding an angle option and could be a very huge modification on the tilemap plugin especially on the collision cells part. Then i suggest making a new object separate to the tilemap plugin, just in case things go horribly wrong.

I also use tilemaps on my games and i don't like it breaking because of a stunt we're suggesting.

• Yeah, it's a diferent object with angles, and really it would be a limited one compared to just using sprite frames.

• I don't understand why it would need a different name if it ultimately would function the same way. A map is a map- what the map is used for or how it is oriented doesn't change the fact it is a map.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)