Scirra Sales ?

0 favourites
  • Hellows Community !

Is there a Chance to geht informed when construct2 is on sale ?

And what do you think, will the Price get higher again ?

• burningcake

Construct was on sale about 2 months ago.

It was pretty well advertised, I got an email about it.

• The price will get higher for sure, it?s extremely cheap. Watch other game creation engines like gamemaker/gamesalad.

And I hope/think they will switch to an yearly/monthly subscripton. Something like 180$ per year would be perfect.

• The price will get higher for sure, it?s extremely cheap. Watch other game creation engines like gamemaker/gamesalad.

And I hope/think they will switch to an yearly/monthly subscripton. Something like 180$ per year would be perfect.

This Would be veeeeery sad.

• Nah, it would mean scirra can hire more developer. And I think the most one with an license makes more money with c2 than 180$, so it would be just better for us.

Actually scirra just gets not enough money, they need constant support to become bigger and bigger.

And if Scirra becomes bigger also HTML5 becomes bigger and this also awesome for us. Win Win Situation.

• I wonder where you're getting your informations from

Scirra has been looking to hire a JS developer for several months now, meaning they are making enough with the current license system to hire more people.

It's unlikely they will change the license system (they always told they found a one-time fee to be more fair).

As for the price rising, I don't know if it will happen. Perhaps, perhaps not, there's been no word on this. Anyway if the prices were to raise again, they would clearly announce it earlier than the raise like they did before.

• Kyatric: I hope/think means I hope/think ^^ haven't said I know something more.

I�m only sure the price will go up anytime, cause actually it�s the cheapest engine and the last time they raised it without saying much before about it.

And yes I have read that they hired another JS Developer, but Scirra is still a small company and I hope they will change their license system. And I think they will change it cause it also got changed/created for schools ;)

• Actually scirra just gets not enough money

There is no "I think" there, it sounds like an assertion to me.

I?m only sure the price will go up anytime, cause actually it?s the cheapest engine and the last time they raised it without saying much before about it.

They warned for months (almost 6) that the price would raise, and they announced the time of raise 3 weeks before it did.

If you consider that's not much saying, I don't know what is.

• Aye, Scirra might surprise you with good news (sale!) but never with "bad."

There was a whole thread a while ago talking about Scirra's merits/flaws relative to competitors, and four highlights were: accessibility of cost; full features (with limited instances in certain cases) for free users; frequent free updates; and only-when-you-need-it license upgrade requirements.

You can find a common thread running through those company positions and more: accessibility and value to users (which could be summarized as value to users).

• please DO NOT turn to a yearly or monthly subscription

I'm busy with my real job and don't have lots of spare time

I've bought personal license so when I have time I use C2

if it becomes monthly/yearly then the value of this software has decreased as I don't make any $ back from C2 at this moment so I'm down price of personal license and that is fine with me because I can use it whenever/wherever I want.

• I would pretty much drop C2 in an instance the day they changed the license to a subscription model. I would pick up GMS instead. I won't pay a subscription on tool sets. Ever.

Software is not the same kind of maintenance service as say a cloud service. It get's updated, but only to increase the value of a sale.

bad bad bad idea.

Though i won't mind if they start adding cheap packages of bonus features. CHEAP

• With the way C2 seems to be marketed as of late it's obvious C2 wants to push subscriptions: Education Subscriptions.

Seriously, it's an easy to use software and the subscription cost is tiny for a sitewide license of a professional tool. Since it's easy to use, their education field potential can reach Middle to Elementary schools.

Game creation and software development is becoming easier for those who do not normally code, and with such it becomes more accessible to hobbyist. C2 is designed to be a professional tool that is accessible as a hobby and education tool.

Because of this market, keeping the price accessible is also a selling point, as we all know GMS's marketing punishes those with limited budgets.

• Don't worry guys , it will never change to that ,

Because it was actualy gonna be like that , kinda , 3 months license to that let you update C2 to new releases but an unlimited usage of the C2 version that you had ... WAAAAAAY AGO , do you remember that Kyatric ^^

When C2 was nearly born , it was their plan , but they then changed for a pay-once deal and I don't think they'll change back to the monthly subscription

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • The subscription plans are great, because they provide a cash flow that can be planed. You can't plan sales of the tool forever, you have to expect it to be a curve of some kind. With a long tail. Subscriptions ensure you have a slightly varying plateau.

There are many great pieces of software that run on a subscription model well.

Visual Studio (yearly)

R# (tied to updates)

Telerik Controls (yearly)

This provides the product owner a verified stream of cash, that they can hire to and plan for. It also lets them give out updates without fear of giving away something for free.

It's hard when your product is mature, and no one is buying new ones, that you put all this effort into it, and see nothing in return when an update goes out, because everyone who wanted it, already has it.

You also have to think about your customers too.

For Visual Studio, when my company gives out ultimate to everyone every year, you have to remember that is a $15,000 license yearly. For construct users, I've seen posts of people who can't even afford the 100$ version.

In the end it comes down to what your customers can afford, and if your sales model will let you survive, you have to monetize somehow eventually because the first couple years, are always great, but eventually it has to wane, just due to running out of customers. One way would be to pour some effort into the store.

Unity has an asset store, Scirra should be the non-unity store for graphics, audio etc.

• Whiteclaws: I don't remember that at all. Link to post ?

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)