Scirra Sales ?

Discussion and feedback on Construct 2

Post » Tue Jun 25, 2013 10:21 pm

I would pretty much drop C2 in an instance the day they changed the license to a subscription model. I would pick up GMS instead. I won't pay a subscription on tool sets. Ever.

Software is not the same kind of maintenance service as say a cloud service. It get's updated, but only to increase the value of a sale.

bad bad bad idea.

Though i won't mind if they start adding cheap packages of bonus features. CHEAP
B
S
G

Post » Wed Jun 26, 2013 12:29 am

With the way C2 seems to be marketed as of late it's obvious C2 wants to push subscriptions: Education Subscriptions.

Seriously, it's an easy to use software and the subscription cost is tiny for a sitewide license of a professional tool. Since it's easy to use, their education field potential can reach Middle to Elementary schools.

Game creation and software development is becoming easier for those who do not normally code, and with such it becomes more accessible to hobbyist. C2 is designed to be a professional tool that is accessible as a hobby and education tool.

Because of this market, keeping the price accessible is also a selling point, as we all know GMS's marketing punishes those with limited budgets.
B
S
G

Post » Wed Jun 26, 2013 1:05 am

Don't worry guys , it will never change to that ,
Because it was actualy gonna be like that , kinda , 3 months license to that let you update C2 to new releases but an unlimited usage of the C2 version that you had ... WAAAAAAY AGO , do you remember that @Kyatric ^^

When C2 was nearly born , it was their plan , but they then changed for a pay-once deal and I don't think they'll change back to the monthly subscription
B
S
G

Post » Wed Jun 26, 2013 1:49 am

The subscription plans are great, because they provide a cash flow that can be planed. You can't plan sales of the tool forever, you have to expect it to be a curve of some kind. With a long tail. Subscriptions ensure you have a slightly varying plateau.

There are many great pieces of software that run on a subscription model well.

Visual Studio (yearly)
R# (tied to updates)
Telerik Controls (yearly)

This provides the product owner a verified stream of cash, that they can hire to and plan for. It also lets them give out updates without fear of giving away something for free.

It's hard when your product is mature, and no one is buying new ones, that you put all this effort into it, and see nothing in return when an update goes out, because everyone who wanted it, already has it.

You also have to think about your customers too.

For Visual Studio, when my company gives out ultimate to everyone every year, you have to remember that is a $15,000 license yearly. For construct users, I've seen posts of people who can't even afford the 100$ version.

In the end it comes down to what your customers can afford, and if your sales model will let you survive, you have to monetize somehow eventually because the first couple years, are always great, but eventually it has to wane, just due to running out of customers. One way would be to pour some effort into the store.

Unity has an asset store, Scirra should be the non-unity store for graphics, audio etc.firebelly2013-06-26 01:51:34
B
S
G

Post » Wed Jun 26, 2013 2:02 am

@Whiteclaws: I don't remember that at all. Link to post ?
New to Construct ? Where to start

Image Image

Image Image

Please attach a capx to any help request or bug report !
B
S
G

Post » Wed Jun 26, 2013 2:50 am

@Kyatric , I can't remember a 2 years old post :P

Also , it may have been removed when the new website came inWhiteclaws2013-06-26 02:51:49
B
S
G

Post » Wed Jun 26, 2013 3:20 am

I am all for feeding developers.

DevComponents develop DotNetBar - a whole bunch of tools for use in building applications using VS - excellent tool VERY competitively priced.

Their competitors are in the $1000's price range, but DNB is in the $100's.

It's a yearly subscription that costs $264 for single licence when you first buy (299 with source code), and then somewhere around $100 off to renew your subscription. The great thing with their pricing model is that even if you don't renew for many years you still get the discount when you decide to renew.

Like Scirra, they are constantly releasing updates and bug fixes (usually every Friday), they have a very active forum, and they always fix bugs as soon as possible.

Scirra could use a similar model and I would be more than happy to support it. Maybe have a similar system that they have now, free version, and personal and business licence priced accordingly.

But always stay competitively price - GM and the like are definitely over priced.

Just think of Adobe - do you like them, only want a relatively few well funded customers, or would you rather have the whole creative community using your tools.
If it can be done, someone on the web will show you how to do it!

CDASI Games Mentality Break Splat-a-bug FlapFleet Challenge
B
S
G

Post » Wed Jun 26, 2013 6:59 am

[QUOTE=michael] I am all for feeding developers.

DevComponents develop DotNetBar - a whole bunch of tools for use in building applications using VS - excellent tool VERY competitively priced.

Their competitors are in the $1000's price range, but DNB is in the $100's.

It's a yearly subscription that costs $264 for single licence when you first buy (299 with source code), and then somewhere around $100 off to renew your subscription. The great thing with their pricing model is that even if you don't renew for many years you still get the discount when you decide to renew.

Like Scirra, they are constantly releasing updates and bug fixes (usually every Friday), they have a very active forum, and they always fix bugs as soon as possible.

Scirra could use a similar model and I would be more than happy to support it. Maybe have a similar system that they have now, free version, and personal and business licence priced accordingly.

But always stay competitively price - GM and the like are definitely over priced.

Just think of Adobe - do you like them, only want a relatively few well funded customers, or would you rather have the whole creative community using your tools.
[/QUOTE]

You mentioned adobe, I love the new cloud subscription model. It's a little more in the long long run, but it also is great because it provides me with "free" updates.
B
S
G

Post » Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:25 am

If nobody likes monthly/yearly payment, what do you think about paying for updates ?

Like: Every new release 2$ or something like that, so it's your decision if you want to pay (and get something for it) or not.
B
S
G

Post » Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:50 am

why change what is going on?
when did we suddenly feel needed a change?
They update more frequently than many others.
If a breaking change occurs (other than recent alt issue) they do a x.x beta.
And were doing all that with the current model they've raised the one time price from what I got it at but it is still great for value but part of the value is the fact of what has been listed above in this and other posts for C2
They have expanded to education with subscription, yes.
Keep it for education.DrGreenThumbCAN2013-06-26 07:52:00
B
S
G

PreviousNext

Return to Construct 2 General