Screen size?

0 favourites
  • 13 posts
From the Asset Store
220 Food Sprites in 16x16 pixel size. Perfect for items for a retro style game.
  • Ok, so after reading a bunch of different posts and tutorials on this matter(eg. Supporting multiple screen sizes) I've made a decision.

I'm gonna use Scale outer mode + landscape orentation for my game, since the way I design it it won't be a problem is the player sees more. However that still leaves a few questions so I can make this work properly, please help if you can.

1. What is the biggest size iOS device(iphone/ipad) on the market at the moment?

2. What is the most common size for iphones/ipads(and if possible which iOS version/s correspund with this size)?

3. How do I center my layouts so that they scale out from the center instead of pos 0, 0?

4. Where do I set the orentation? By landscape orentation I mean the player has to hold his device horizontaly and the game runs from right to left, or am I understanding this function wrong?

Thank you.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • 1/2. : Google is your friend...

Nowadays, it seems to be the iphone 5 that is the most common, with a screen resolution of 320x568. The link will give you all the details.

3. : on start of layout=> set scroll to X/Y

X and Y should then be calculated based on the current displayed resolution

4. : not sure for this one but I would say that if you only do landscape, use the System.set layout angle action to put it to 90�

• Cool, thank you very much.

One more thing, is there any way to edit the "Scroll to" behavior so that the camera only follows the player on the X axis(or substitue some events to achieve this)?

I know I could just make the player static and have the background scroll, but from what I remember reading in another post that has some problems when using scale outer mode.

• VIKINGS

then don't use "Scroll to" behavior. Instead of it, maybe there's an action about scrolling screen with xy coordinate.

• I know there is shaircast, but like I said, that might cause problems with scale outer mode...

• VIKINGS : I think he was thinking about the System>Scroll to position Action, which does the same as the scrollTo behaviour

• I tried, doesn't work. I found this post on making a smooth camera using the "lerp" expression. Any idea how I should modify it so it only follows my player on the X axis, ignoring the up and down movements he does?

In case you need the info, at the moment my player moves 1 pixel every tick, but that may change in harder levels.

scirra.com/tutorials/626/making-a-smooth-following-camera

• Bump.

• Well, in this tutorial, there is an event :

Keep the X as it is, and don't change the Y (put "Self.Y" in the Y slot, or a constant).

Even if there is no scroll on Y, you have to choose at what Y the camera is.

• system every tick - system scrollto player.x, 350 (or whatever other y suits you)

• Yes!!! LittleStain is right, so simple, can't believe I didn' think of it! Thank you very much mate.

Thank you too Guizmus, but it looks like I don't need to bother with lerp for now. Still good to know, I'll save it, might come in handy later on.

• Cool, I will check it out, thank you.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)