Screen Sizes... Still confused

Get help using Construct 2

Post » Thu Apr 18, 2013 5:19 pm

Hmm. Well, I just tried without retina display enabled, and the frame rate improved to 40-60fps. Still not as strong as my Lumia 920's performance, but then that phone is one and a half years newer than the iPad 3, so maybe that's to be expected.

I think all iOS releases from this point on HAVE to support retina display though, so I guess this means I need to optimize the game further for mobile and tablet devices. Thanks for all the feedback about the importance of downscaling though! It's been very useful

Post » Thu Apr 18, 2013 5:25 pm

Wow forgot about this thread completely!

I guess I could give my 2 cents, for what it's worth. Reading - over a few times was definitely helpful :).

Building your games in a bigger aspect ratio like 16:9 seems to be the way to go.

It helps to stretch your background past the layout size in-case a phone does have a different aspect ratio from 16:9.

If I want a sprite with a size of 100x100 I usually make draw it 200x200 and shrink it in construct, this allows it to be up-scaled if necessary.

It's difficult to do a once size fits all, especially for tablets with a HD display. However, when publishing to Google Play I believe they ask if your app is suitable for tablets.

Not a complete list of solutions by any stretch and supporting the vast range of screen sizes is a difficult task. I guess you could draw a non-HD version of the game and a HD version and maybe have construct check the resolution of the device and use the correct sprites accordingly. Toby122013-04-18 17:27:20

Return to How do I....?