Script Editing and the Viewing of Code

Get help using Construct 2

Post » Wed Nov 16, 2011 4:52 pm

Thanks for all the info guys!

I sort of figured there wouldn't be a way to view code, again the main reason I was interested is to gain a clearer understanding of every condition/action and specifically what they're doing behind the scenes, so perhaps some simple documentation or perhaps more in depth descriptions in their respective selection windows is all that's needed.

I understand now why scripting isn't going to be included, it is a shame there's no efficient way of including it :( the ability to create custom code is so flexible and useful.

And any frustration I experience with Construct 2 comes from sheer excitement at the potential it's already displaying as well as the potential it will possess in the future.brent_hamel2011-11-16 16:53:00
B
S
G

Post » Wed Nov 16, 2011 5:01 pm

I forgot to mention, you can code your own javascript in the plugin and behavior SDK, but it's not really suitable for casual coding, more for integrating APIs and creating new features.

If you're interested in how it works under the hood, you can still browse the javascript code behind the plugins and behaviors, they're all in the folder rexrainbow mentioned.
Scirra Founder
B
S
G

Post » Wed Nov 16, 2011 5:14 pm

I just wish to add to Ashley's excellent answer that if you feel like coding in the end you can always make your owns plugins and behaviors thanks to C2's SDK.
It's pretty straight-forward, a lot of fun, it can be useful depending on your project but be aware that if there was another exporter made for C2, you would then have to make a plugin for this exporter too before exporting the game with it. (oops, Ashley ninja'd :/ )

And finaly for those wanting some debugging, you can always create a condition "In preview" and display some values from there for your debugging needs. It would require a text or a browser object and the alert action, but it's often useful.

[QUOTE=brent_hamel]so perhaps some simple documentation or perhaps more in depth descriptions in their respective selection windows is all that's needed.[/quote]

Do you mean like the inline documentation in codition/actions/expressions window ?
Also the manual is soon coming, it takes time to write.Kyatric2011-11-16 17:18:39
New to Construct ? Where to start

Image Image
Image Image

Please attach a capx to any help request or bug report !
B
S
G

Post » Wed Nov 16, 2011 5:25 pm

Either/or, it's mostly just my eagerness getting the better of me lol, reading the SDK information makes me want to build a visual array editor... that could also load from a txt file... hmmm...
B
S
G

Post » Thu Nov 17, 2011 1:22 am

[QUOTE=brent_hamel] build a visual array editor... that could also load from a txt file... hmmm...[/QUOTE]

CSV plugin could help you do this.
There already has many plugins, and welcome to the plugins' world!rexrainbow2011-11-17 02:26:49
B
S
G

Post » Thu Nov 17, 2011 5:34 am

ok, just downloaded every dang plugin and behaviour in that list lol gotta be honest though, about 1 third of them I have NO clue what they do lol
B
S
G

Previous

Return to How do I....?