Scripting Help

New releases and general discussions.

Post » Tue Jun 02, 2009 4:48 pm

I have a Lua and DirectX background, and I need some help with Python.

I'm working on a game called Belli, you can look into it here.
Here's what I help with:
[quote=RoanHorse]Okay, I just figured out how to make the scripting/programming for the battles (both danmaku and RPG) much easier:
I found a way of opening OSU beat-map files in Firefox, and when doing so, I can see the actual beat-map timing, placement and all the other data.
[/quote]
I'm going to use said data to create bullet hells for the shmup elements and beat timing for RPG elements, but I need some help figuring out how to make it "read" the data, and from there, translate it into bullet spawning and timing.
B
G

Post » Tue Jun 02, 2009 5:06 pm

What's an OSU beat-map file? Is it just plain text? How is it parsed?

If it is plain text, why would you need Python? There is a file object, a text manipulator, and various other things that can help you get the data and sort it with events.

If it's not plain text, you will likely need some kind of custom plugin to read the file.
B
S
G

Post » Tue Jun 02, 2009 6:06 pm

Well, an OSU beat-map file is a compression of 3 files, but I know how to open the text part (the actual programming) individually.

So basically, for what I'm trying to do, it is just a text file.
B
G

Post » Tue Jun 02, 2009 6:35 pm

Text manipulator should do the job, depending on how complex the format is.
B
S
G

Post » Wed Jun 03, 2009 12:39 am

What does the text manipulator do, is it a technique?
B
G

Post » Wed Jun 03, 2009 7:11 am

It's an object. You add it to the layout like a sprite, or any other kind of object. It has actions, conditions, and expressions that allow you to manipulate text, of all things.
B
S
G

Post » Wed Jun 03, 2009 5:51 pm

Well what I'm trying to do is manipulate timing + bullet spawning (from a specific source) using text, would the manipulator object let me do that?
B
G

Post » Wed Jun 03, 2009 9:22 pm

yea, with enough know-how. A better explanation would also help a lot, because i have no clue what that file type is! :mrgreen: Can i see the file or something?
B
S
G

Post » Wed Jun 03, 2009 11:20 pm

[quote="Davioware":pb7kqb3k]yea, with enough know-how. A better explanation would also help a lot, because i have no clue what that file type is! :mrgreen: Can i see the file or something?[/quote:pb7kqb3k]
http://osu.ppy.sh/
Any one of the files in the listings, but if you throw it into Mozilla Firefox you get the beat-map coding without any of the zipped graphics and sounds.
B
G

Post » Thu Jun 04, 2009 9:12 am

It may be just me but I can't see any way to get at a file there.
B
S
G

Next

Return to Construct Classic Discussion