Scrolling not showing my ground

Get help using Construct 2

Post » Wed Dec 11, 2013 10:20 am

Hi all,

New to all this and hoping for some help.

Creating a metroidvania style platformer/exploration game and doing some early tests. The problem I'm running into is this:

I have created a controlled sprite, with behaviours of Platform and ScrollTo. When I had a small level I could always see the bottom of the screen while running a playtest. I've now made my level taller and when I run a playtest the "camera" is slightly higher, I can't see the floor and at the initial position it is cropping my sprite.

Why is this happening and how do I fix it?

Also, I apparently can't post URLs so I don't know how to add an image to this post to explain my point.

Likewise, HELP!
B
S

Post » Wed Dec 11, 2013 1:53 pm

Is your screen big enough for the taller level?

What way have you set the scaling in project properties?
I told my dentist I had trouble with my teeth and asked her to fix it without looking in my mouth..
B
S
G

Post » Wed Dec 11, 2013 3:03 pm

Posting an image would definitely help - use image tags ([.img] and [./img] tags (without the .))

Generally for platformers I've found that it's best to use a separate invisible sprite as the camera scroll-to object anyway. Otherwise you have that nasty thing of a camera following the character when they jump - an almost universally undesirable effect.

Set the object to follow the character's X but not Y (maybe with some lerp to smooth out its movements, too), and only update its Y when necessary (like when moving to a new vertical screen or jumping onto a major platform) with markers around the level.
B
S
G

Return to How do I....?