SDK and IDE

New releases and general discussions.

Post » Sun Jun 29, 2008 3:49 am

maybe this doesn't belong here if so please move it.
I was wondering something last night. First i'm no programmer so maybe my question is easy but i don't have the competence to answer it by myself.
I wish i could play with the SDK but i have no visual studio, i only have access to those express version and from what i understand there some DLL missing in the express version.
Problem is i personnaly use Bloodshed Dev C++ when i have to put my hand into code.
Is there any chance i can build the SDK using other IDE than VS?

thanks in advance
B
S
G

Post » Sun Jun 29, 2008 1:30 pm

Dev-C++ is no longer maintained so you should find a new compiler anyway. I'm not sure if the SDK builds on anything other than VS - it might do - give it a try!
Scirra Founder
B
S
G

Post » Sun Jun 29, 2008 2:07 pm

I have no idea how to code in c++, so i dont know if this suggestion has any value, but,

The Express Version of Microsoft Visual C++ is freeware ?
You can find it here ...

http://www.microsoft.com/express/vc/Default.aspx
B
S
G

Post » Sun Jun 29, 2008 2:22 pm

theinstance: yeah but like i said there some majo difference between the express version and the complete one. som major DLL are missing. you didnt tought microsoft would give a fully workable version of VS for free :D

Ashley: im aware Dev C++ is stop but i was tinking largely. i should ask if it was possible to compile using other IDE .like CodeBlock. Im pretty sure im not the only one not using VS
B
S
G

Post » Mon Jul 07, 2008 4:33 pm

This is of topic, don't shoot me please.

Could someone post or pm a list where you explain what DLL, VS, Dev C++, SDK and IDE are?
B
S
G

Post » Mon Jul 07, 2008 4:40 pm

[quote="Attan":5dexg0i1]This is of topic, don't shoot me please.

Could someone post or pm a list where you explain what DLL, VS, Dev C++, SDK and IDE are?[/quote:5dexg0i1]

A DLL is a file which executable files call functions from; these can be informational, or functions which do specific things. Direct-X for example is programmed into DLL files, which the Construct Runtime calls functions from. Every plugin created via the SDK is a DLL file.

The SDK is a bunch of C++ files which creates a DLL file compatible with Construct and the runtime.

VS is Visual Studio, the program which compiles the SDK source files and creates a DLL file. It's basically a text editor with syntax hilighting, a resource editor (to set up dialogs, icons, etc).

So basically, you use Visual Studio to edit and compile the SDK source files, which creates a DLL, or plugin.
B
S
G

Post » Mon Jul 07, 2008 4:42 pm

Thank you very much!
B
S
G

Return to Construct Classic Discussion