SDL progress

Forum for plugin, effect and behavior programmers. Please use the Help & Support forum for help using Construct.

Post » Wed Dec 19, 2007 9:35 am

% of the way to next release: 80

Hello :D Following on from my last post on SDL I decided to bring together all the progress updates and releases into this post, which I will keep up to date.

It would be helpful if this could be stickied or something, but it doesn't matter much.

What's done
- Creating an SDL window, initialising all frames and images into SDL surfaces
- Drawing frame background colours
- Sprite renders with animations
- Alpha channels
- Rotations

To do before release
- Fonts

Though I have a fulltime job my workload at this time of year is very low, so I can work on this for a few hours a day.

Questions
OpenGL?
OpenGL goes hand in hand with SDL alot of the time, so after I finish fonts, more drawing functions and such that is the next logical step.

Effects?
I had a quick look at Construct's effects engine and to be honest it's very complex and I didn't understand much of it.. OpenGL effects and shaders are different to the HLSL ones, but nonetheless I can give it a go after OpenGL.

Other platforms?
The SDL libraries i've used (for reference, SDL, SDL Image, SDL GFX) are compatible with at least Windows (back to 95), Linux, Mac, BeOS. There is a possibility of ports to other runtimes if another developer steps in.
B
G

Post » Wed Dec 19, 2007 11:18 am

[quote="timtim":37fxkul7]I didn't understand much of it.. OpenGL effects and shaders are different to the HLSL ones[/quote:37fxkul7]
Couldn't be possible maybe to develop specific OpenGL effects?
Replacing all effects and eventually change some events wouldn't be such a high price to pay when for, in example, "converting" my DirectX game in a Mac version..
B
S
G

Post » Thu Dec 20, 2007 3:33 am

Sounds great!
B
S
G

Post » Thu Dec 20, 2007 1:22 pm

Sweet!
B
S
G

Post » Thu Jan 03, 2008 2:36 pm

I've sent my work to Ashley and it looks as if he's integrated it with the codebase. We'll see what happens soon.

Tim
B
G

Post » Sun Apr 20, 2008 4:50 pm

Any big update on this at all?
B
S
G

Return to Construct engineering