Seeking very skilled Construct-or.

New releases and general discussions.

Post » Fri Aug 20, 2010 11:44 am

Basically the mistake people are making when they reply to topics like this one is that they try to be "helpful" and say "I won't help you because of this and that, and others wont for the exact same reasons". Which isn't true. It doesn't matter how many people won't help, what matters is that there might be one or two people who will, who are exceptions to the rule, to whom your reasons don't apply, for their own reasons. So why bother replying? "I won't help"? That's okay, 6,863,399,999 out of 6,863,400,000 people won't. This doesn't mean we need a topic with 6,863,400,000 replies. "No one will help"? Speak for yourselves.
B
G

Post » Fri Aug 20, 2010 3:33 pm

I won't help! :lol:

What I can do is help you define your workflow, review your documents, propose ideas...
Usually when people come in here asking for help they have a lot in mind, but just a few things on paper. And since we can't read their minds, the users demand more info on your project, anything visual or interactive to help them understand what the project is up to.

Of course, having previous experience, released games or prototypes, a blog, or anything related to games helps a lot when convincing people that yes, this project will be a kick ass thing and everybody should be working together.

For me, the best thing you should do now is develop a GDD (Game Design Document), and organize all the ideas you want to put in the game, in a very detailed way. Write the avaliable item, what does what, how many characters, write the story, maybe a few of the dialogues... Design a sketch of the interface, a flowchart of every screen... And then proceed to actually making the game.

And since you stated this is a free game, when you have the GDD, post it in here. Don't waste your time hiding your thoughts, because it will only make people ignore your project. Show it to us!
If it's truly awesome as you say it is (and I'm not using any sarcasm here), people will gather up!

Also, posting Filezilla screenshots to prove that you have a few .exes won't work. Let us play!
You said it is a free game, so there's no need to hide your contents! Also, people in here are used to test shitty prototypes, with bad graphics. And a lot of them evolved into beautiful games. Of course there will be trollers, eventually, but just ignore it and don't let it get to you.

Anyway, I can help you organize your thoughts and create a consistent GDD. With it you'll even be able to precise how many people will be needed to make the game, and I'm pretty sure everybody will be pleased to read it and feel more inclined to help in anyway they can.

So, what do you say?
B
S
G

Post » Fri Aug 20, 2010 6:39 pm

[quote="Shviller":63pwc5pg]Basically the mistake people are making when they reply to topics like this one is that they try to be "helpful" and say "I won't help you because of this and that, and others wont for the exact same reasons". Which isn't true. It doesn't matter how many people won't help, what matters is that there might be one or two people who will, who are exceptions to the rule, to whom your reasons don't apply, for their own reasons. So why bother replying? "I won't help"? That's okay, 6,863,399,999 out of 6,863,400,000 people won't. This doesn't mean we need a topic with 6,863,400,000 replies. "No one will help"? Speak for yourselves.[/quote:63pwc5pg]

This is why I just watch these threads from afar. To be honest though Karl, many people have been helping you out on IRC, and you've really just started with Construct. From what it sounds like, you're totally capable of doing this, you just need the time to get some experience. You've barely scratched the surface of what Construct is capable of, and that's totally understandable given the time you haven't had to learn it.

If your artists don't understand this, I'd get some new artists. Tell them to take a break and go outside and play in the sun or something for a week while you figure something out. They don't need to be drawing 24/7.
B
S
G

Post » Sat Aug 21, 2010 12:54 am

Thanks a lot for the offer gammabeam. Currently, most of the game design document is well thought out and written up, just needs assembling. It's what I'm really good at. :)
B
G

Post » Sat Aug 21, 2010 1:10 am

Karl...I don't think you are an evil overlord. :wink: I actually think your project sounds really interesting. My only point in posting was to point out: that the game was a lot more difficult than you think.. and that to get somebody and put in that much time you have to show more to attract them... That's all. You should keep track of the # of hours spent on your game as I think you will be surprised how much time you spent when it is all over. I sure know I did on even the demo's I put together. I would be overjoyed if somebody joined your team, seriously. I think you will find that everybody is very helpful, in general here, and will be more than willing to help you out with problems.

If nobody joins up to code I'm sure you will have enough resources here to create the game on your own... and if they do then that's awesome. Hope to hear some good progress!
B
S
G

Post » Sat Aug 21, 2010 4:23 am

[quote="scidave":2glj3fyx]Karl...I don't think you are an evil overlord.[/quote:2glj3fyx]

Good, good.

[size=50:2glj3fyx]My plan is coming together nicely. *evil cackle*[/size:2glj3fyx]
B
G

Post » Sat Aug 21, 2010 4:06 pm

Hi Karl

Hey, nice to know you got things structured! Why don't you post it for us?
Like I said before, I think this would be a nice way to gather more people to your project!
As for help, I don't think I'd be good for developing on Construct. I got spare time (I'm unemployed, in another country, with very few people I know :( ), but I'm trying to focus on my projects and how can I make money from then as soon as possible! :P My skills in construct aren't that good, I have a graphic designer background before becoming a professional game designer, so I don't usually think as a programmer :-P
So if you want help, feedback or suggestions on anything, just let me know. I'd be glad to help!
B
S
G

Post » Tue Aug 24, 2010 4:04 am

I like the idea of an island survival game.
The reason I don't post here is because the things shown (file folders, forum threads and a bit of art) are not really representative of "a fully defined game".
Nothing in the website or this post give any further detail either. There's not much to go for, except for that object combination thing, which sounds really hard to do, specially with Construct.

No link to that "forum full of people" either. Blogroll points to default wordpress stuff.
Not a good hint.
B
S
G

Post » Wed Sep 01, 2010 6:48 pm

Little graphical glimpse!

Images may or may not disappear at any time.

Also Shvilly is helping out some! However, still looking for anyone that may be interested in joining on the project too.
B
G

Post » Wed Sep 01, 2010 11:59 pm

Hi Karl,
Very pretty graphics. Why not post your cap and let people play with it. Maybe you need some early restructure that will help with future development. Many games are doomed because of a bad start.
Also seeing what you have so far might inspirer someone to pitch in.

Best of luck on your new game,'
B
S
G

PreviousNext

Return to Construct Classic Discussion