Seriously improved perfomance on iOS10..

Discussion and feedback on Construct 2

Post » Sun Sep 18, 2016 7:24 am

Im noticing a big improvement in my game's performance on iOS10 :shock:

On my old iPhone5 running iOS9 my game would run at around 45 - 55 fps, with cpu usage at around 60 - 70%.
It was certainly playable, but it was a little jerky in places especially during moments of fast - paced play, with many enemies moving around on screen etc.

With iOS10 Im getting constant 60fps even on the busiest levels and the game-play feels noticeably much smoother, again testing on the same iP5. Interesting to note tho the cpu usage reads higher at around 80 - 85%. But despite that the game definitely runs better.

I guess Apple did something in this update which allows improved performance for our games. Anyone else noticing this?
B
69
S
49
G
58
Posts: 397
Reputation: 36,626

Post » Sun Sep 18, 2016 8:45 am

Artpunk wrote:Im noticing a big improvement in my game's performance on iOS10 :shock:

On my old iPhone5 running iOS9 my game would run at around 45 - 55 fps, with cpu usage at around 60 - 70%.
It was certainly playable, but it was a little jerky in places especially during moments of fast - paced play, with many enemies moving around on screen etc.

With iOS10 Im getting constant 60fps even on the busiest levels and the game-play feels noticeably much smoother, again testing on the same iP5. Interesting to note tho the cpu usage reads higher at around 80 - 85%. But despite that the game definitely runs better.

I guess Apple did something in this update which allows improved performance for our games. Anyone else noticing this?


Would you mind sharing how you are exporting to iPhone when you see that kind of performance boost? :D
B
13
S
6
Posts: 130
Reputation: 1,553

Post » Sun Sep 18, 2016 9:16 am

Well I haven't changed anything in the way im exporting (C2 > Cordova > XDK) and I haven't done anything in my project that could account for such an improvement. Also, my tests on Android devices return no similar improvement, the fps and cpu usage haven't changed since my last tests on those devices. The only improvement was on iP5 with the updated iOS. So its improvements in iOS10 as far as I can tell.
B
69
S
49
G
58
Posts: 397
Reputation: 36,626

Post » Sun Sep 18, 2016 10:04 am

Great stuff - thanks for the information, I was mainly just looking for how you were exporting to iOS. I know a lot of people right now are struggling with blackscreen on iOS 10, from apparently healthy apps. Are you using testflight to get your app to the device?

(also, very curious to see your game when it comes out :) )
B
13
S
6
Posts: 130
Reputation: 1,553

Post » Mon Sep 19, 2016 9:36 am

TMAJA wrote:Great stuff - thanks for the information, I was mainly just looking for how you were exporting to iOS. I know a lot of people right now are struggling with blackscreen on iOS 10, from apparently healthy apps. Are you using testflight to get your app to the device?

(also, very curious to see your game when it comes out :) )


Yeah Ive been reading the threads of people saying that their games are breaking on iOS10... I half expected to have problems with mine, but guess I was lucky. Seems like no problems. Probably because my project at this stage is very bare bones, there are no 3rd party plugins or anything, so I guess less opportunities for problems.

I dont use testflight. My testing process is > just build in XDK, then download the ipa and get it onto my iP5 with iTunes...
Its been a while since I set up all the Apple Developer stuff, but from memory the developer certificate allow me to install my ipa on one apple device purely for testing? Does that sound right? The various options you have to choose from when setting up the Apple dev account are super confusing... I think I have to apply for a difference certificate when Im ready to actually publish... Will deal with that down the track.

I posted about my game here, although I havent updated for a while... just focused on getting it completely finished, then Ill put up a bunch of new screen caps and gifs etc.

What are you working on @TMAJA?
B
69
S
49
G
58
Posts: 397
Reputation: 36,626

Post » Mon Sep 19, 2016 1:37 pm

@Artpunk I didn't get a black screen yesterday so I'm hoping I'm not one of the ones affected - we will see though (I'm currently using an old build of XDK, which was the only way I could get Appodeal ads to behave on Android, but I guess this could cause problems for me at some point). It wouldn't surprise me if I run into blackscreen trying to get published on iOS - my app is pretty heavy on the plugins.

Yeah I know what you mean with the developer certs! One for your device, one for your app (which changes?). I'm reasonably sure I have the correct certificates currently but I'll double check with some research at some point.

I like the look of your game a lot :D if you need beta testers I'd be happy to lend a hand! Did you produce all assets yourself?

I'm currently working on Kitten Chaos - available on Android right now: https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... s&hl=en_GB

It's currently a pretty simple game about rolling really fat kittens past obstacles to their baskets. Starts slow and easy but gets much more difficult later on :). Nothing groundbreaking at the moment, but once I've got it sorted on iOS, I'm looking forward to the upcoming content I have planned for it! If you check it out and have any thoughts they are always welcome :)
B
13
S
6
Posts: 130
Reputation: 1,553

Post » Mon Sep 19, 2016 2:49 pm

@TMAJA I was one of those affected by black screen and my solution ended up being creating a new project on XDK. Just an FYI in cae you run into this problem.
B
42
S
16
G
3
Posts: 169
Reputation: 4,383

Post » Wed Sep 21, 2016 12:09 am

CDogs1964 - I created a new project and used the App Preview. It worked on my iPad (not iOS10), but not on my iPhone (ios10). So it seems the new project isn't the fix (at least for me).
B
10
S
3
Posts: 51
Reputation: 764

Post » Wed Sep 21, 2016 1:35 am

TMAJA wrote:I like the look of your game a lot :D if you need beta testers I'd be happy to lend a hand! Did you produce all assets yourself?

Yeah I made all the artwork for the game, I like pixel art and I was making 2D art for other people's games before I started developing my own, so I have a bit of experience with 2D art and animation. I contracted a composer to make music for me though, which is nearing completion.

Im not sure what to do about beta testing actually... I wondered about posting the game on the Arcade and asking people to leave feedback on the forum here. Not sure if that would be a good way to do it... otherwise I only have a handful of potential beta testers, so I might take you up on that.

TMAJA wrote:I'm currently working on Kitten Chaos - available on Android right now: https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... s&hl=en_GB

It's currently a pretty simple game about rolling really fat kittens past obstacles to their baskets. Starts slow and easy but gets much more difficult later on :). Nothing groundbreaking at the moment, but once I've got it sorted on iOS, I'm looking forward to the upcoming content I have planned for it! If you check it out and have any thoughts they are always welcome :)


Downloaded Kitteh Chaos. Ill pm you with feedback once Ive had time to play it a bit.
B
69
S
49
G
58
Posts: 397
Reputation: 36,626

Post » Wed Sep 21, 2016 2:42 pm

Well you guys are lucky - I'm having problems.

I'm going to list my steps for anyone else going through this, maybe we can get somewhere:

I basically made a C2 (R233) project that is as simple as can be (just one sprite that you press to display text), exported with Cordova (did not have any permissions selected, such as "media") then started a new Intel XDK project (made sure to have the latest XDK) selected the project.

First problem: Upon importing HTML5 code, I get the error: "Error creating project: Import directory contains Intel XDK files". I do see an XDK file in the Cordova export directory, so I simply delete it. Then the project loads fine into XDK. In XDK, I select the tab to "test", I then select the button to push the files to the testing server and read the QR code from the App Preview app on my iPhone 6 and iPad.

My iPad (not ios10) loads the app fine.
My iPhone (has ios10 installed) gives the message: Index.html Error fetching data.js

This happens when I export cordova with and without the WKWebView selected.

Edit to add: Got instruction from the XDK forum to change a line in the c2runtime.js file, which worked (as far as getting the program to run on using XDK's "test" with the QR code and app preview app. I haven't tried it yet downloading from iTunes. Here is the line change:

Replace the line: this.isWKWebView = !!(this.isiOS && this.isCordova && window.indexedDB);
with the line: this.isWKWebView = false;
B
10
S
3
Posts: 51
Reputation: 764

Next

Return to Construct 2 General

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 9 guests