Shadowcaster

This forum is currently in read-only mode.
0 favourites
  • I am trying get a Nox style view. I am using shadowcaster behavior for the wall. The Problem is that the shadows are not infinites. I have increased the shadow depth parameter, but when the character is near a wall border, it cast wall's border too. So... is posible to get a infinite shadow effect?

Can I smooth or antialias the shadows?

Thanks.

• You can't make infinite shadows with it - you just have to use a high shadow depth. There's no smoothing for shadows yet, but you could try putting the shadows on their own layer, and giving the layer a Soften effect, or something.

• Can I assign the shadows to a layer? I have tried to keep the shadow caster objects in another layer before, but applying a blur effetc to the layer, only blurs the objects and shadowns remains the same.

• The 'Light' object is the object which actually draws the shadows. That's the object you need to move to another layer. The 'Shadowcaster' behavior is simply used to mark an object as casting a shadow, like a property or attribute.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • ashley? will there be custom shadow masks anytime soon?

• Speaking of custom shadow masks, I decided to have a go at doing my own custom dynamic shadows.

http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?mrm2o5ztmkj

Was fairly straight forward to get custom masking using image points. Not sure how feasible that would be to implement in Construct's built-in shadow casting though.

• Thanks Ashley, it works fine now.

Hey Glamthaus, really nice area shadow effect!!

• Very nice, man - how'd you do the penumbras?

On second thought, don't bother explaining. I doubt I'd understand.

• cool, but if it were to be implemented it would be awesome if it used something similar to the custom collision mask for physics.

does that use events? if so plz post a cap

• I think that from now on whenever we want someone to post a .cap file ... we should just say "bust a cap"

• i never use the light object, i just make a semitransparent mask image which tints everything beneath it the color of the mask, and put it on top of everthing but below the hud. u have to do it yourself but it allows for much more control. u could make a stealth game with that, using the los object to find out how dark a certain coordinate is. i might do that, make a game like trilby: art of theft, great game btw, try it out!

• Yeah, you can make your own simple lights that way, but the light object also interacts with bumpmaps and shadow casters for you automatically.

• Yeah, you can make your own simple lights that way, but the light object also interacts with bumpmaps and shadow casters for you automatically.

It doesn't interact with bumpmaps. You can only use the one light built in to the bumpmap shader for that.

Ah, but what if you have a puseo-3d game? you need shadows to wrap reallistically around objects. you cant do that with the light object! not to mention glass effects... and as i said above, if you have a seperate shadow layer you can find out how dark it is at any given point. would really help with a stealth game! edit: infact thinking about it, the shadowcaster isnt much use at all. its only real use is in topdown games, and even then its pretty simplistic. opacity masks 4eva!!

• > Yeah, you can make your own simple lights that way, but the light object also interacts with bumpmaps and shadow casters for you automatically.

>

It doesn't interact with bumpmaps. You can only use the one light built in to the bumpmap shader for that.

Oh fine then.

Can you tell I've never actually played with the bumpmaps?

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)