Shadows of War [RTS | Greenlit]

Show us your works in progress and request feedback

Post » Sat Feb 08, 2014 7:24 pm

Looks great, information layed out well :)
Great to see someone with set goals.

And I wouldnt worry the slightest about performance.
You made a choice for desktop systems, which, with modern recent hardware, should generally be able to handle a game ten times your load.

Seriously, your game is relatively small, < 50mb , and your imagery is not heavily detailed (lots of black stuff), it should run fine on most modern mobile devices too.

Love the theme / coloring approach
Who dares wins
B
S
G

Post » Sun Feb 09, 2014 9:26 am

You do realize that the download size is pretty much irrelevant (at least if we speak just of the performance), right? Because all of the images are decompressed into the memory, which leads to the >300 MB of memory usage the project currently has...

Of course, almost anything categorized as a "gaming rig" these days should be able to run the game decently, but many of the more "casual" desktop platforms will have problems, and i won't even mention how bad would mobile platforms fare with this game.

Either way, the dev stated that his goal is to optimize only for desktop platforms, which is probably a smart thing to do, assuming that Moore's law holds true (development takes time, yo).
*sigh* Kids these days with their Sandy Bridges and their Titans and whatnot, i think that i'll just re-make the game in CC (one of the devs said that this could be done, but is not the primary goal, atm - i have way too much time to waste anyways), just for the lulz. Also, get off my lawn!Stiivais2014-02-09 09:28:28
B
S

Post » Sun Feb 09, 2014 12:16 pm

@lennaert thanks for the kind words.
We'll have to see how things turn out in the end about the performance. But i at least can assure that a Tegra 3 Tablet wont be able to run the game as it is currently.

@Stiivais youre right about the download size, the Ram use of Node-Webkit currently is about 800MB and VRam (Crossfire system, may be relevant) ca. 400MB.
The game may could be redone in CC, but i actually after some research think, it wouldnt bring a performance increase. A comparison between CC R1.2 and C2 R45: 82% as fast as Classic.
Based on all the optimisations made by now, i think that C2 is even faster than CC.
So remaking it in CC probably wont bring any gain.
"It's done when it's done"

Shadows of War
Buy on Steam ;)
B
S
G

Post » Sun Feb 09, 2014 12:54 pm

Perhaps chop some of those large images up in smaller pieces.
Reducing polygons per image too.

^_^
Who dares wins
B
S
G

Post » Sun Feb 09, 2014 1:00 pm

@lennaert , that would be an option, ill think about it ;)
Ill test my tablet with again, as soon as i completed the work on my low-performance mode, it may work then

Shadows of War
Buy on Steam ;)
B
S
G

Post » Sun Feb 09, 2014 1:04 pm

I am not quite sure if what you are saying about the performance is true, there used to be a benchmark for the performance a while back, and these were the results:

Link to post.
Do you have a link to that resource of yours?

Then again, it was more than a year ago. I guess i could cook something up really quickly to test the performance of CC vs C2...Stiivais2014-02-09 13:05:08
B
S

Post » Sun Feb 09, 2014 1:10 pm

@Stiivais hmm, thats an interesting post, havent seen that yet.
Link to my post
^^ This is 3 years ago
I would be interested in an 1:1 comparison w/ physics & withou physics.SgtConti2014-02-09 13:11:10

Shadows of War
Buy on Steam ;)
B
S
G

Post » Sun Feb 09, 2014 1:21 pm

I am making a sprite rendering test as we speak - just rendering an increasing number of sprites, rendering rotating sprites and rendering sprites which keep resizing. I'll make something about physics too, but i doubt that there is a sure way to test this due to the non deterministic nature of the physics engines (and due to just how differently collisions are handled). Either way, i'll post results later, but i might need assistance if you want to test WebGL performance, because my laptop doesn't support it (i'll just put up the files and you can test on your rig then, ok?)...
B
S

Post » Sun Feb 09, 2014 1:42 pm

@Stiivais sounds like a good way to determine if there really is such a big gap between CC and C2.
Im very interested in the results

Shadows of War
Buy on Steam ;)
B
S
G

Post » Sun Feb 09, 2014 4:01 pm

@SgtConti Okay, i made a post with 3 benchmarks, you can check it out here: link.
No physics tests as of yet, only basic rendering, but this seems like the logical thing to start with.
I'd appreciate if you'd post your results there too!Stiivais2014-02-09 16:01:37
B
S

PreviousNext

Return to Works in Progress/Feedback Requests