Shards - The Shattered World (RPG)

Show us your works in progress and request feedback

Post » Sun Jan 26, 2014 10:26 pm

WOW! i wish i was that good at 2d art
B

Post » Sun Jan 26, 2014 10:44 pm

Thanks! @retrodude - The battle system is quite different from loot pursuit's. The action happens in real time, but the player can pause at any time to input commands. The game also auto pauses after a character has finished their command, and the player can hold down a key to advance time in slow motion for precise timing of actions. There's an auto attack feature for quickly tearing through weak enemies - or they could sometimes be avoided altogether.

Enemy encounters happen on the same screen as exploration, so there's no transition whatsoever. This will make battles have more variety and be more interesting by making the environment relevant. For example, it could result in danger for the player, with an incoming trap that the player has to deal with at the same time as fighting an enemy, but the player could be creative and turn it around by knocking the enemy into the trap instead while getting the player characters out of the way. Enemies can also hit each other, so you could hide behind an enemy when you've got a homing attack coming towards you and the enemy will get hit instead. It has lots of ways like that to fight indirectly.

Because of the system set up like this, with all characters basically taking their turns at once, it incorporates a lot of my favorite aspects about battle engines from games I've played - you can interrupt enemies from casting spells like grandia, everything is moving at once sort of like suikoden, distance to enemies and position matters like final fantasy tactics, etc, all while incorporating some new aspects that makes it unique. Or at least, I haven't heard of any other RPG that does what I'm trying to, but I certainly haven't played them all.Arima2014-01-26 22:47:40
B
S
G

Post » Mon Jan 27, 2014 12:22 am

Looking forward to a demo. :)
B
S
G

Post » Sat Mar 22, 2014 12:04 am

Update:

Progress continues. There are new abilities, a new enemy, the characters can leave/enter areas, I've implemented the start of the tutorial system, worked on the ui, fixed bugs, etc, and I've begun the level editor.

Some info about how the game is going to be released:

As it takes longer for me to work on something than most people, and honestly, the game is a lot to tackle as one project, I'm going to release the game in stages instead.

Stage 1: prototype/proof of concept
Stage 2: first section of the game
Stage 3: first story arc as its own game
Stage 4: second arc
Stage 5: third arc

Having a prototype will help me to make sure people like it and it's at its best. It has 3 separate individual arcs anyway, and each will be long enough for a complete game (small for an rpg, nowhere near a hundred hours or anything, but enough), so it seems appropriate to make it a 3 part trilogy rather than one big game, as each part will stand alone just fine (I know, I know, I have a problem with being overly ambitious. I don't care ^^).

The battle system is quite playable as it is, but there isn't enough yet to give a proper impression of what playing the game will be like. It's still months away from being ready (it's probably half done), but I'll update again before then when I have something to show.
B
S
G

Post » Sat Mar 22, 2014 2:43 am

That's understandable but not good to hear.

Personally from what I understand, I'd rather see a complete game in 1 package than seperate games which have huge gaps of time inbetween them — the game may be forgotten and anticipation is hard to bear for very long (fans will start pressuring the creator), not to mention that most developers will lose significant amounts of motivation and passion to continue working on the game once it's been released and the main source of continuing is the feeling of obligation (from my experience and from what I've seen in the industry and from friends). Even Notch got tired of working on Minecraft when it was hugely successful and what if your game isn't well received by many? I can't see that working as motivation. Although this may of course not be an issue for you! Just sharing my thought.

Why not just shorten the scope instead, and release a complete game?
B
S
G

Post » Sat Mar 22, 2014 3:32 am

@alspal - that's sort of what I'm doing, I guess I didn't describe it well enough. The first third of the game/story arc will work just fine as it's own game/story. It won't leave off like stopping a movie partway through with huge plot threads hanging - there will be some unanswered questions, but part 2 will be more like a sequel instead.
B
S
G

Post » Sat Mar 22, 2014 4:10 am

Looking good Arimi. Glad your keeping a blogging thing about this. looking forward to the demo :)
B
S
G

Post » Thu Mar 27, 2014 8:56 pm

Nice work Arima, seems like "Shards" is off to a good start, and its looking great so far. I particularly like the contrast between the characters and the scenery, really makes them stand out!

If you have enough content, splitting the game seems like a good idea! Always leave them wanting more, as the old saying goes ;)

You're right, this type of thread can really help to raise awareness/interest in a project. I've also discovered it can help to provide the developer with added motivation too. Opening up your creation to the world, seems to come with an underlying sense of obligation to provide further updates. And I've found that can encourage me to work, even when I don't really feel like it.

Anyway, good luck, I look forward to seeing more :)
B
S
G

Post » Sun Mar 30, 2014 5:23 am

This looks beautiful :)

Reminds me of loot pursuit, but even more refined looking.
Don't lose your work. Backup your game with Dropbox.
B
S
G

Post » Sun Mar 30, 2014 2:18 pm

Sorry to hear the health issues! Cheer's to hope your feeling better soon!

This look's excellent! I'm really liking the cell shaded main characters, and how they flow against the backdrop/layout. Looking forward to playing this one!
B
S

PreviousNext

Return to Works in Progress/Feedback Requests