Sheepi v0.23 (UPDATED 21.07.2014)

Show us your works in progress and request feedback

Post » Tue Jul 15, 2014 8:20 am

procrastinator wrote:@mercuryus ah damn, do you know the specs of your tablet? or at least how old it is?

This is the reason I kept away from mobile dev for so long ;p I got it working on my ipod but it plays just like you describe.

@procrastinator

try using Touch -
Code: Select all
Is in touch
and check the
Code: Select all
Touch.X-ScrollX
(depending on your layoutsize).
This should fix the touch-problem.
Image Image Image
B
S
G

Post » Tue Jul 15, 2014 4:20 pm

I tried again today, seems it was probably lag from loading from the first time - I only tried the once. Tried again today and it's just slow and jerky. Probably running at 20fps or something. Should add FPS debug text to check that but it's low priority for me since it works on my samsung smoothly ;p

As for ScrollX suggestion.. I'm not actually scrolling through the layout (layout is 480x320). I'm creating the illusion of scrolling by creating the objects just offscreen and using the bullet behaviour to move them across the layout ;)
B
S
G

Post » Tue Jul 15, 2014 4:40 pm

Worked pretty good (Nokia 1020, Windows Phone running 8.1). Touch worked well and speed was fine. Would be nice to be widescreen. I liked the elements, like Flappy Bird (sorry for the comparison but you know people are going to do that) but unique enough.

I would suggest making it harder as you progress. Maybe don't have the fence poles initially but introduce them 4-5 screens in. Otherwise, IMHO, it just becomes an exercise in futility when you can't get much past 3 or 4 points.

Overall fun and has potential. Good job!
B
S
G

Post » Tue Jul 15, 2014 5:09 pm

Its too hard lol.
Image ImageImage
B
S
G

Post » Tue Jul 15, 2014 5:53 pm

@bsimser thanks for testing! Good to know another device is on the good list hahah The main reason it's 480x320 was so it basically worked for more devices, as I'd read that's the best resolution for pixelled style games, and it seemed good enough to get what I needed on screen at once. Not sure if that applies nowadays or not. I'm very new to actual mobile dev but you know how it is, you read articles and store some of that info but nothing beats practical experience. I'll mess about with widescreen at some point then, 'cause when testing it on my samsung using cocoonjs launcher, there's a huge white bar on the right side (you can even see the offscreen enemies being created there so I think I f*cked up somewhere ;p).. dunno why there isn't 2 black bars either side but I've grown used to it anyway.

Also, as far as increasing the difficulty, it does actually increase but not sure it's enough. On my PC it's almost like it's not increasing.. seems pretty easy, but on the samsung it does get hard very fast.. guess there's timing issues to sort. Good idea about the fences. tbh I did those first and was too busy "introducing" the enemies gradually that I didn't even give those a second thought. Something always seemed off to me but never could figure out what while too busy tweaking enemies etc. Maybe it was the fences!

In the very beginning it was very hard. You'd be lucky to get 3 points, but I guess I tweaked too much somewhere. I've added a new feature to the points system, and testing that out atm before I release the update. If it works, then people will have to have good reflexes for hiscores ;p but nothing like 3 points hiscores "hard". Although it'd be quite easy (but not sure if it'd be fun) to make that new system hard enough where people can barely get 5 points hahah

As for the Flappy Bird reference. I'm not offended so don't worry. tbh if it wasn't for Flappy Bird I wouldn't have come up with this. I've never been a "simple game" designer. Always had tonnes of ideas to throw in prototypes. I'd start simple then throw in powerups, upgrades, shops, story etc etc and seeing Flappy Bird, made me step back and try to think with a KISS mindset (which was HARD for me ;p).. and Sheepish was born. I'm still fighting with myself to stop adding all these grand ideas to it.. ;)

@newt haha I find it easy ;p but not as easy as your game.. which reminds me.. ;) will try shortly.. gotta eat according to my rumbling gut! Thanks for trying!
B
S
G

Post » Sat Jul 19, 2014 6:19 pm

LOL i like it aaahhhhaha
Hire or Offer a project

Portfolio

Scirra new Shop
B
S
G

Post » Sat Jul 19, 2014 6:28 pm

@procrastinator ,

shit happens in life for good reason (i think) .

Publish this!!!!

You will remember me ;)
Hire or Offer a project

Portfolio

Scirra new Shop
B
S
G

Post » Sat Jul 19, 2014 9:23 pm

@Michaelb very true that!

I do plan to publish, but not sure which way I'll go with it (ads, premium.. etc etc). That's a constant thought for me... ;p

Been silent on the forums because I've been working on getting this to a standard where there are no bugs and gameplay is balanced enough. Quite a big update really - coming shortly. Also, polished the graphics some, changed the scoring mechanic (if you were frustrated with the one before - collect a star for a point - you'll be even more frustrated (in a fun way I hope) with this one ;p). It's not that the game is hard, but it is still quite hard to get 3+ points ;})

I wasn't really prepared for the bug ridden aftermath that came with each big change...
B
S
G

Post » Sun Jul 20, 2014 9:22 am

Hm ,

i usually do 2 versions , 1 demo as free , and one full paid.

No advs , maybe some promoting.
Hire or Offer a project

Portfolio

Scirra new Shop
B
S
G

Post » Sun Jul 20, 2014 11:11 pm

@Michaelb yeah that's probably what I'll do.. still quite a bit of work left to even release as a free demo

Updated main post with the new version which now finally - after much procrastinating on the idea - has parallax! Couple of glitches that I'll iron out but nothing that affects gameplay at all.
B
S
G

PreviousNext

Return to Works in Progress/Feedback Requests