Should I keep C2 or move on ?

Discussion and feedback on Construct 2

Post » Tue Feb 14, 2017 1:00 pm

@ErekT I'm gunning for mobile (and C3 seems to be a good way for it). And yes, nothing is perfect and I'll always end up frustrated because of something, that's for sure. But when it comes to export or to check performances in anything which is not little games, grass is known to be greener elsewhere. And my doubts are about performances and export...I'm not worried by anything else in C2. But yeah, as I said, I think I will start to remake everything I have in Unity (or Java, or Godot, or Haxe flixel) while waiting to test C3.

This way, I should be able to decide what to do. Sticking with C2, sticking with Unity/Java/Godot/Whatever, or using C3. I need to gather as much informations as I can about whatever alternative to C2 or C3 I might consider, to perfectly acknowledge its pros and cons. Once again, it's all about this specific project, Scirra's tools remain the best when it comes to create small but advanced and sympathic contents. Everything is still possible for my case. I may be end up working on this in C2 or C3.
B
S

Post » Tue Feb 14, 2017 2:42 pm

@LeuNoeleeste If it's not a big problem to you, in the future I'd like to read your opinions about the engines you've tried and experimented with.
B
S
G

Post » Tue Feb 14, 2017 3:24 pm

@glerikud Not a problem at all, however if I recall correctly, you already know Unity, so if I decide to use this tool instead of C2 while I'm waiting for C3, I don't think my opinion will be really useful for you. Nobody uses Flash anymore, so once again, my point of view about it would be pretty useless. If I use Haxe Flixel or Godot or Fusion or anything which is not Unity, and if you wonder how useful and powerful the LibGdx library for Java truly is, I'd be glad to shate my experience on the matter, yep.
B
S

Post » Tue Feb 14, 2017 5:37 pm

@LeuNoeleeste

I was not trying to make a point.

There are many similar posts on this forum asking "should I use Construct or another engine"

It is always the same discussion and same answers.

But the question is always the wrong question....

The real question is,

Do you embrace (with all associated limitations and advantages) Scirra's dedication to HTML/JS and the vision of a universal, browser based platform?

and the answer is a simple yes / no
B
S
G

Post » Tue Feb 14, 2017 6:37 pm

LeuNoeleeste wrote:Not a problem at all, however if I recall correctly, you already know Unity, so if I decide to use this tool instead of C2 while I'm waiting for C3, I don't think my opinion will be really useful for you. Nobody uses Flash anymore, so once again, my point of view about it would be pretty useless. If I use Haxe Flixel or Godot or Fusion or anything which is not Unity, and if you wonder how useful and powerful the LibGdx library for Java truly is, I'd be glad to shate my experience on the matter, yep.

Indeed, I tried Unity, but I found UE4 more suitable for my needs. Currently I'm learning Godot. Not that I want to leave C2/C3, I just like to keep my eyes open on the market. However it's always useful to see this matter through someone else's eyes. :)
B
S
G

Post » Tue Feb 14, 2017 7:39 pm

STARTECHSTUDIOS wrote:Lots of problems exporting to PC with C2. Unless C3 updates this I would steer clear, hopefully c3 will majorly improve this...

This is why I stopped using Construct 2. Too many exporting problems and work around and performance issues. HTML5 was not the future.
B
S
G

Post » Tue Feb 14, 2017 10:48 pm

@Tekniko
Sad, but many have experienced the exact same situation as you
Last edited by STARTECHSTUDIOS on Tue Feb 14, 2017 10:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
B
S
G

Post » Tue Feb 14, 2017 10:51 pm

I once tried to export a game onto PC for all my family members and friends as a gift over the Holidays. It ran like garbage on the PC whereas the browser version ran perfectly. C2 has some major exporting problems I would steer clear of in the future, especially if C3 does nothing to address this. I'm watching closely now..
B
S
G

Post » Thu Feb 16, 2017 12:55 am

I just hope that C3 isnt built on HTML5.
B
S
G

Post » Thu Feb 16, 2017 1:39 am

Tekniko wrote:I just hope that C3 isnt built on HTML5.

Um, literally.
Image ImageImage
B
S
G

PreviousNext

Return to Construct 2 General