Should i stop playing or look into any game .... ?

Discussion and feedback on Construct 2

Post » Thu Feb 14, 2013 5:52 pm

Every time i think of making or designing a game , my thinking and design seems to get influenced with the lot of games that i have played and seen in the past and hence i feel that i am not able to come up with a new, cool, novel, creative, interesting without resembling other games or sort of.

So should i stop playing so that atleast my mind will think of a new genre design ?

Like to hear your comments, thoughts or laughs ;)
B
S

Post » Thu Feb 14, 2013 5:56 pm

There's no original game ideas at this point mate, the best you're going to get is a novel combination of two existing mechanics or a old mechanic from a fresh perspective.

Most indie games rely heavily on one very highly polished gameplay mechanic, focus more on quality than originality; it seems counter-intuitive but you'll be a better designer for it.
B
S
G

Post » Thu Feb 14, 2013 5:57 pm

Everything created is essentially an iteration or interpretation of something which has come before it. This is true in all forms of creativity, even ideas which you think are wholly original can be traced back to its core influences.

If you're stuck for ideas, I'd say try and do things outside of videogames for more inspiration, explore hobbies or do things that you've not done before and inspiration may take you to interesting places.
B
S
G

Post » Thu Feb 14, 2013 5:59 pm

Watch this, it explains what I just said in a much more researched and educated way. It's also very inspiring. http://vimeo.com/14912890
B
S
G

Post » Thu Feb 14, 2013 6:08 pm

I believe ideas don`t really matter, it is all about how you execute your ideas.vee412013-02-14 18:09:09
B
S
G

Post » Thu Feb 14, 2013 6:49 pm

Just a matter of opinion, take the types of games you like to play and think of the things you wish they did, or that bug you, and use that. There are certain things that I love about certain genres of games, I am taking those ideas when making my own as I feel I can either improve on them, or entertain someone with a new adventure using them. Or if I have a genre that I play where I don't like certain features or how they are implemented in games, I take that as a challenge on how to do it better and improve upon the existing standards.

Playing games doesn't always mean you will love making them. Some folks love to make cars, some like to race them. The main thing is to have fun. If creating games is fun to you, then do it. If not, just keep playing and have fun with it that way!
B
S
G

Post » Thu Feb 14, 2013 6:50 pm

Never stop playing games. As a game designer, you should play as many games as possible...and I don't just mean games you like to play. Play EVERY GAME you come across. Keep notes (at least mental notes, although I keep a pad next to me) about what worked and what didn't. I find myself playing a game and saying "Wow, that mechanic would make an excellent game if only..." or (more often) I say "Wow, that's the worst possible way to do that...".

Not all games give me an idea for something to do or not to do, but if you play enough games you'll find you've got more ideas than you can work on at any given time. It's going to take me years to work through all the game ideas I've got...and at least to the end of this year to do the ones that I've actually got psudocode/prototyping done for.
B
S
G

Post » Thu Feb 14, 2013 6:57 pm

[QUOTE=CrudeMik]
If you're stuck for ideas, I'd say try and do things outside of videogames for more inspiration, explore hobbies or do things that you've not done before and inspiration may take you to interesting places.[/QUOTE]

Makes a lot of sense !, I guess, if u r not able to do yourself, at least find people who have other hobbies , understand , learn what they do and may be u can find some inspiration . tringio2013-02-14 18:59:11
B
S

Post » Thu Feb 14, 2013 7:09 pm

@vee41 but if you have no ideas to execute you are stuck :)
B
S
G

Post » Thu Feb 14, 2013 8:00 pm

[QUOTE=BluePhaze] Just a matter of opinion, take the types of games you like to play and think of the things you wish they did, or that bug you, and use that.[/QUOTE]

This is a great to come up with something new to work with, I do it all the time.

People will have more fun doing things they're familiar with anyway. That way when they play a game new to them they won't have a whole lot of learning to do.

You could always try and "innovate" if you want. But the best way to do that would be to play what's already out and create what's not. But chances are somebody somewhere has created that mechanic anyway.
B
S
G

Next

Return to Construct 2 General