Should i stop playing or look into any game .... ?

Discussion and feedback on Construct 2

Post » Thu Feb 14, 2013 8:00 pm

[QUOTE=BluePhaze] Just a matter of opinion, take the types of games you like to play and think of the things you wish they did, or that bug you, and use that.[/QUOTE]

This is a great to come up with something new to work with, I do it all the time.

People will have more fun doing things they're familiar with anyway. That way when they play a game new to them they won't have a whole lot of learning to do.

You could always try and "innovate" if you want. But the best way to do that would be to play what's already out and create what's not. But chances are somebody somewhere has created that mechanic anyway.
B
S
G

Post » Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:42 pm

On an popular imageboard that I go to, we have a saying: "just like make game". Sometimes you just need to stop overthinking everything and start making a game, ANY game, anything at all.

The next step would be to actually finish that game (which is really hard), but once you get these two steps done, you'll have a game, even if it's not as good as you wanted it to be. You might come up with ideas while you develop it too, instead of thinking beforehand.
B
S
G

Post » Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:16 pm

Related to andreyin post about finishing games, I've found this advice valuable
http://makegames.tumblr.com/post/1136623767/finishing-a-gamehttp://makegames.tumblr.com/post/1136623767/finishing-a-game
B
S
G

Post » Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:36 am

Personally when I want to make a game I don't even think of another game. Instead i think about the experience I want the players to feel. With that I take into account my available technologies; 2d game(c2), short story, novel, rpg. Obviously as we are talking about video games I'll stick to that. So with the experience I think about how can I portray that experience in 2D. A lot of time my game will have strong resemblences to another game, but I've never gone into a game design thinking to make it better.
B
S
G

Post » Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:07 am

Building off a genre and thinking how you could make it better is a good idea.

Or think about something you want to simulate from the world into a game (for instance: driving a taxi, commanding an empire, the life of an ant, a terrorist or soldier etc.)
B
S
G

Post » Fri Feb 15, 2013 5:32 pm

Great comments and suggestion to everyone ! , One thought that came to my mind is probably talk to old people or look into historical books,documentaries to see what people played or liked to do before even before the video game exists and may be adapt them to a modern game like what angry birds did , where the sling shot and birds exists long time before but when adapted to the current world seems to be a big hit ! , who knows may be i will get some inspiration or atleast i have something to start with ;)tringio2013-02-15 17:33:14
B
S

Previous

Return to Construct 2 General