Should I use C2 for a large game?

Discussion and feedback on Construct 2

Post » Thu May 09, 2013 2:18 am

@Tekniko Yeah, I'd say that's a medium-large scale game (Although now it goes by Super Yubi Land after legal issues with Ubisoft)

I definitely know of a few others in the works - Loot Pursuit being of them.
B
S
G

Post » Thu May 09, 2013 2:52 am

It's going to depend on the type of large game. I think it would be better to implement an RPG in Unity or a graphic adventure in Wintermute, or a text game in Inform, but for platformers, shooters, and puzzle games of virtually any size, I'd go for C2 first.
B
S
G

Post » Thu May 09, 2013 3:23 am

I'm 11 months into my game, and C2 is fantastic to use, heaps more enjoyable and efficient to work with than CC and MMF2. The biggest problem for me is still wrappers/export functionality and fullscreen performance on some computers (I'm hoping Ashley will do that feature that can render smaller and scale up). The Mac node-webkit is hardly working for my game, so I'm basically Windows only at the moment.
B
S
G

Post » Thu May 09, 2013 4:15 am

I'm doing a pretty big 2D iOS Run & Shoot game. Sounds simple, but the systems I've got in place will show you what I mean. Haha! My biggest game idea is somewhat an RPG mixed with multiplayer co-op. I'll wait on Construct 2 to have more user friendliness in maintaining huge databases. Right now, as a guy who has hopped on mainly because of the "no programming required" factor of C2, I just find maintaining my hash tables and arrays, too damn hard.
B
S
G

Post » Thu May 09, 2013 4:40 am

[QUOTE=Arima]
On top of that, c2 does an utter ton of stuff for you that otherwise you'd have to code on your own. I've heard it again and again when people ask what tool to use to make their game: "do you want to make games, or engines?" People who use raw code often end up working for ages on the underlying engine and tools before they can even get to starting work on the game itself. Many people don't get past the first step at all because they realize that the engine they've written is clumsy and they go back to fix it, or by the time they're done the industry has advanced and what they're doing is obsolete - getting stuck working on the engine and not the game.
[/QUOTE]
This, this, this this this. This is me for the last decade when it comes to programming anything. I decided to take a 2 year hiatus from coding. I only came back because of C2.

Since using this. I have a handful of prototypes. One finished game which needs WebGL on CJS before it will run well enough. This game is all about massive number of objects :D so i need the webgl performance :P

I'm also working on an Ouya game that is hitting the 80% mark. it's great. C2 is great. I love C2 :) even when I have complaints. I complain because I love :D

I have a 2D Online fighting game in the planning. It's going to be big. I also have some RPG ideas.
B
S
G

Post » Thu May 09, 2013 5:39 am

[QUOTE=RandomExile] It's going to depend on the type of large game. I think it would be better to implement an RPG in Unity or a graphic adventure in Wintermute, or a text game in Inform, but for platformers, shooters, and puzzle games of virtually any size, I'd go for C2 first.[/QUOTE]

I'm not sure why you would recommend using unity for an rpg instead of c2? I can tell you from experience c2 is entirely capable of making them. I've also read quite a few people talking about how unity can be a bit hard to work with for 2d.Arima2013-05-09 05:41:12
B
S
G

Post » Thu May 09, 2013 6:29 am

[QUOTE=Arima] I'm not sure why you would recommend using unity for an rpg instead of c2? I can tell you from experience c2 is entirely capable of making them. I've also read quite a few people talking about how unity can be a bit hard to work with for 2d.[/QUOTE]

Well, for a "modern" RPG, I think most people are expecting either a 3D or a 2.5 engine to bring it to life, and would also appreciate higher quality graphics.

I don't think you could do a Torment: Tides of Numenera or Project Eternity in C2. Both of them, who could have used any engine available, chose Unity for their quasi-indie-yet-AAA RPGs.RandomExile2013-05-09 06:30:06
B
S
G

Post » Thu May 09, 2013 7:10 am

As it was stated, C2 helps you design your game, and really the game.

Also, It can handle larges projects as far as I know, but still, remember to keep your events clear, and to think about the player, ( and the limitations you have in any programming tool anyway only when you are ready to begin).

I suggest you to think about your entire game before beginning to do it inside C2:

When you program it, you already knows (almost) everything about it, don't think about limitations beforehand, don't limit your imagination, just apply it as well as you can.

PS: that is funny, yesterday I was posting something about how to make your game live in your mind before even programming it.Aphrodite2013-05-09 07:14:12
https://www.scirra.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=152506

And that is why you shall respect the bug reports guidelines, not only giving a capx is making the bug reproductible in one click in a situation they can work with (less time wasted trying to reproduce vague instructions) but also it helps filtering false positives.

Game design is all about decomposing the core of your game so it becomes simple instructions.
B
S
G

Post » Thu May 09, 2013 7:39 am

[QUOTE=RandomExile]Well, for a "modern" RPG, I think most people are expecting either a 3D or a 2.5 engine to bring it to life, and would also appreciate higher quality graphics.

I don't think you could do a Torment: Tides of Numenera or Project Eternity in C2. Both of them, who could have used any engine available, chose Unity for their quasi-indie-yet-AAA RPGs.[/QUOTE]

Bah! How dare you insinuate 2d cannot be modern and is inferior to 3d! Rar! And stuff. /mock rage

Seriously though, of course you're not gonna get people trying to make 3d games with c2, and as for project eternity if you had the coders with the shader coding chops everything in that video might be able to be done with c2 as well (though it might require some modification to c2's rendering engine, I don't know). The reason I think that is there was actually some preliminary work done on a shader for cc quite a while back that did some of what's in that video: http://www.scirra.com/forum/wow-2d-graphics-with-3d-lighting-depth-info-etc_topic39079.html based upon the amazingness of this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Q6ISVaM5Ww

Also, there are lots of 2d RPGs out there, though it's true they're mainly in the indie scene, and those projects you linked aren't exactly indie studios. There's different levels of expectations for indies.Arima2013-05-09 07:41:00
B
S
G

Post » Thu May 09, 2013 7:50 am

[QUOTE=RandomExile]I don't think you could do a Torment: Tides of Numenera or Project Eternity in C2. Both of them, who could have used any engine available, chose Unity for their quasi-indie-yet-AAA RPGs.[/QUOTE]

3D is a production choice, it is usually easier (and less costly) to reuse assets, models and bone animations for games of a big scale.

But even I couldn't do it myself, I'm pretty sure a game as big as Mario & Luigi: Bowser's inside is possible in C2 ^^
...but this is mostly psychological. Check my devlog
B
S
G

PreviousNext

Return to Construct 2 General