Should I use Construct 2?

Discussion and feedback on Construct 2

Post » Wed May 28, 2014 7:53 pm

sqiddster wrote:OK, thanks for the feedback!
I haven't been able to test on a wide variety of machines so it's good to hear if it's having problems.
Choppy audio you say? Interesting. I wonder if that's caused by the performance in general, or is its own issue.
Did reducing the resolution help at all? That would at least narrow down if it's a CPU issue or something else.

My machine seems to be similar (but without a dedicated GPU) and it runs perfectly.

I initially played the game at the highest settings, but I just tested it in 480p and I still experience very choppy audio along with random moments of slowdown.
B
S
G

Post » Wed May 28, 2014 7:59 pm

OK, so that's not a graphics issue then. Hmm, interesting! Must be a CPU or RAM problem... and one of the downsides of C2 is that it's not very easy to tell! I'm puzzled that this only happens on your machine though - it must happen on at least some others...

Since the engine is young, I'm bound to run into issues like this making a large game, since the limits of the engine haven't been run into that much over its lifetime. Definitely consider that when making your decision, but also keep in mind that Scirra are very helpful and it could be much better a year or two from now.
B
S
G

Post » Wed May 28, 2014 8:11 pm

For comparisons sake I ran the game smooth as butter on a 5 year old laptop with poor ventilation and a 13 tab Chrome browser plus various programs open in the background (Photoshop, Word, PowerPoint etc.) and the audio was fine, as was the frame rate.

The only issues I had:
The game froze twice, once for about a second and a second time for 4 seconds, after which I stopped playing and noticed the temperature was at egg-frying levels.

Plugging in my (admittedly 3rd party) 360 pad part way through the game didn't work, although restarting the program worked fine!
B
S
G

Post » Wed May 28, 2014 8:19 pm

sqiddster wrote:OK, so that's not a graphics issue then. Hmm, interesting! Must be a CPU or RAM problem... and one of the downsides of C2 is that it's not very easy to tell! I'm puzzled that this only happens on your machine though - it must happen on at least some others...

Since the engine is young, I'm bound to run into issues like this making a large game, since the limits of the engine haven't been run into that much over its lifetime. Definitely consider that when making your decision, but also keep in mind that Scirra are very helpful and it could be much better a year or two from now.

If you were on my situation, would you gamble on the hope that performance issues like this hopefully won't be a big problem in the future or go with a program that's more likely not to result in issues like that (such as Clickteam Fusion)?

Mr E Bear wrote:For comparisons sake I ran the game smooth as butter on a 5 year old laptop with poor ventilation and a 13 tab Chrome browser plus various programs open in the background (Photoshop, Word, PowerPoint etc.) and the audio was fine, as was the frame rate.

The only issues I had:
The game froze twice, once for about a second and a second time for 4 seconds, after which I stopped playing and noticed the temperature was at egg-frying levels.

Plugging in my (admittedly 3rd party) 360 pad part way through the game didn't work, although restarting the program worked fine!

...What could be causing me these issues then? O_O Like is there something related to HTML5 I should download? It sounds like I shouldn't be having these issues at all. My DualShock 4 using ControllerMax works perfectly fine with this game btw.
B
S
G

Post » Wed May 28, 2014 9:03 pm

For what it's worth, I made a quick test of a td game and got 1200 enemies (with collisions, pathfinding and turrets with predictive aiming) before the fps started consistently dipping below 60 fps - again, on a computer using tech from about 7 years ago.

@sqiddster - airscape hasn't ever had a smooth framerate on my computer (amd Athlon 4400+, vista, 2gb ram, nvidia 9800gt (512mb VRAM)), but I listened to about half a minute of the audio in a level and it didn't seem to be playing abnormally here. No amount of fiddling with the effects or resolution settings helps, so it seems to be because the logic is too demanding (the same performance problems are in the version on the scirra arcade). Btw, you might want to implement the trick I talked about earlier running the game from a shortcut to the exe with --ignore-gpu-blacklist added to it, it wouldn't run with webgl on my computer otherwise.
B
S
G

Post » Wed May 28, 2014 9:10 pm

I figured out the problem. My sound card was set to 24bit, 192000 Hz in the audio settings and changing that to 16bit, 48000 Hz fixed all of my performance issues with that game. Now I have no audio issues playing your game and it runs fluidly. In all my years of having this expensive sound card, I never had any idea those higher settings caused performance issues until today. -_-
B
S
G

Post » Wed May 28, 2014 9:11 pm

I uploaded the tower defense test here: http://www.amirai.net/forums/td/ (there's a bug in the new beta version of c2 so it doesn't display properly on mobile, it'll get fixed soon, but it works fine on PC)
B
S
G

Post » Wed May 28, 2014 10:23 pm

I just tried that test also on a HP Envy 15 laptop, if this info is any more re assurance to anyone. This is what I consider a mid-range laptop.

Specs:

Quad Core i7-3610QM @ 2.3Ghz Turbo to 3.4Ghz
16GB ram
AMD Radeon HD 7750M GPU 512 @ 575MHz 128 Bit @ 4000MHz - 1GB memory

I got to about 4k enemies when my FPS was dipping slightly below 60 fps (59-58 fps) C2 has gotten a lot better in performance lately.
B
S

Post » Wed May 28, 2014 10:37 pm

@WAC whoa! You just saved me a TON of work and worry! Now that I know it's a sound card issue I should be able to find a workaround quickly.

Thanks so much, and thanks everyone else too for testing!
B
S
G

Post » Wed May 28, 2014 10:41 pm

@Arima Is that flag something I can do for everyone, or do I have to get users to do it manually?
B
S
G

PreviousNext

Return to Construct 2 General