Should there be Quality Control in the Scirra Arcade?

If you have found a bug, or have a suggestion/comment then leave it here

Post » Mon Mar 06, 2017 5:04 pm

newt wrote:Make a category called "Stinkers".
Let the users rate it to a category.

User ratings only work if you don't have pirate raters using multiple accounts to rate their own games up and other games down.

That is one thing Scirra needs to get fixed as the rating system stinks.

I think only registered members with a reputation over 500 should be able to rate games.
Banned User
B
S
G

Post » Mon Mar 06, 2017 5:23 pm

Sure.
Give rewards to those who choose to help rate.
Image ImageImage
B
S
G

Post » Mon Mar 06, 2017 10:52 pm

I would just suggest @Ashley & @Tom take some time to look at how Itchio, Kongregate, and Newgrounds handles their arcade and they don't have an engine they promote.

The Scirra arcade could be just as good or even much better with JUST Scirra engine games that attracts people to get the licensed version and could actually compete with those arcades and websites like Steam to get the best designers to get a licensed version and become sponsors for their engine and that is what they need to compete against other engines out there.

The arcade already exists and would not require that much to make it work and certainly not a lot of money to accomplish so I think the only thing keeping it from happening is lack of desire and vision for the future.

Just my opinion!
Banned User
B
S
G

Post » Tue Mar 07, 2017 12:12 am

Should be!
MY APPS ON GOOGLEPLAY
ImageImageImage
B
S

Post » Tue Mar 07, 2017 12:24 am

I think curation would be the best approach, but that would be a full time job.
Image ImageImage
B
S
G

Post » Tue Mar 07, 2017 3:46 am

We should also have a stinkers category for Construct 2 plugins that don't work...The "official" Google play services plugin hasn't worked for almost 2 years!! Then we can worry more about the quality of scirra's Arcade submissions...:).
B
S
G

Post » Tue Mar 07, 2017 4:37 am

The lack of quality kinda concerns me too... Feels like it hurts the more polished games by association.

Perhaps some sort of "Testing / Experimenting" category would be the best way to go, since that's what most of those crappy games are, just someone testing something. Sometimes just testing the Arcade itself, really.

And having that category ticked by default when someone uploads something may be a good idea too.

I posted a kinda crappy game myself, to be honest, and I think it should not be competing in space with the more robust projects. I would use that "testing" category if there was one.
B
S

Post » Tue Mar 07, 2017 4:41 am

pedroRocha wrote:The lack of quality kinda concerns me too... Feels like it hurts the more polished games by association.

Perhaps some sort of "Testing / Experimenting" category would be the best way to go, since that's what most of those crappy games are, just someone testing something. Sometimes just testing the Arcade itself, really.

And having that category ticked by default when someone uploads something may be a good idea too.

I posted a kinda crappy game myself, to be honest, and I think it should not be competing in space with the more robust projects. I would use that "testing" category if there was one.

i like the idea... but its not something new... is been like this for years... and probably wont change.

the system that could be followed is the newgrounds process... they have a very effective way of sorting low quality games from example/tutorials/and good games.

but who has time for arcade page? :P its tedious and hard work ... i bet scirra team will fix it.. but its not a serious life threatening matter at this point, the opposite actually, it has good serving service as it is... more content, more pages indexed, more people typing game in google, more being driven here etc etc... simple SEO.

but i do agree with you with the sorting of games. :)
B
S
G

Post » Tue Mar 07, 2017 6:20 am

STARTECHSTUDIOS wrote:We should also have a stinkers category for Construct 2 plugins that don't work...The "official" Google play services plugin hasn't worked for almost 2 years!! Then we can worry more about the quality of scirra's Arcade submissions...:).

+1
Image Image Image
B
S
G

Post » Tue Mar 07, 2017 10:29 am

gamecorpstudio wrote:
pedroRocha wrote:The lack of quality kinda concerns me too... Feels like it hurts the more polished games by association.

i like the idea... but its not something new... is been like this for years... and probably wont change.

the system that could be followed is the newgrounds process... they have a very effective way of sorting low quality games from example/tutorials/and good games.

but who has time for arcade page? :P its tedious and hard work ... i bet scirra team will fix it.. but its not a serious life threatening matter at this point, the opposite actually, it has good serving service as it is... more content, more pages indexed, more people typing game in google, more being driven here etc etc... simple SEO.

but i do agree with you with the sorting of games. :)

That is the direction I was heading with my arcade website to take just the best of the best Scirra arcade games and make a dedicated arcade to showcase those game but then the Scirra arcade crashed and every game threw a 404 error and I had to relink them and now CAPX files don't even work in the Scirra arcade.

I have also tried to get them to remove their large ad on the load screen so visitors can see the game not the same Scirrra ad on every game but Ashley doesn't seem to think the games are what attracts people to the engine apparently. They could do a small ad and have the same effect.

Anyway, there are other arcades out there and Scirra isn't the only engine in town and and if they can't adapt to a changing market I guess they will learn the hard way.

Added: The other thing I have suggested is monthly game Jams to attract the best developers and if you look at many of the top games on Scirra arcade they were made for a Jam somewhere. Offer some free C2 and C3 licenses and cheap prizes like a Scirra T-shirt as prizes to attract people and developers will always flock to a good Jam.
Banned User
B
S
G

PreviousNext

Return to Website Issues and Feedback