Simple Layer Request

This forum is currently in read-only mode.
From the Asset Store
Basic Rounded Vector Geometry Player Design with Glow for 3 player games
  • Love Construct.

One thing that does bug me is that if I need to add another layer below the stuff I already have, then I have to adjust every single event because the original layer just became layer + 1. Do you see what I'm saying? I hope I am explaining it well. Is there any chance the game can update the events with layer information to automatically adjust for the new layer, without having to go in and manually adjust them?

Sure, I could set everything up from the beginning, with 10+ layers just in case, but that requires planning, foresight, and knowing exactly what you want to do. Spur of the moment changes with the current system in massive games start to get difficult.

Cheers.

• (I think??) you can use layer names in place of numbers, which don't change when you add new ones

but yeah this would be nice, just had this problem myself actually - find is a huge help heh.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • That's right, you can refer to layers by name as well. Anywhere you put a layer number, you can also put a layer name. And so long as you keep the same name, the layer ordering doesn't matter.

• Oh really? Good to know. Thanks appreciate it.

• That's right, you can refer to layers by name as well. Anywhere you put a layer number, you can also put a layer name. And so long as you keep the same name, the layer ordering doesn't matter.

altho i did not know this, i'm just wondering wouldn't it be better if the layers number didnt change so if lets say you were to lazy to name everything and then suddenly you need a new layer ,you wont have to go through the problems outlined by this post? its not real important but i can see ppl getting real pissed off when they forgot to name one layer and that screws up there game code completle

• altho i did not know this, i'm just wondering wouldn't it be better if the layers number didnt change so if lets say you were to lazy to name everything and then suddenly you need a new layer ,you wont have to go through the problems outlined by this post? its not real important but i can see ppl getting real pissed off when they forgot to name one layer and that screws up there game code completle

no because the layer numbers represent their Z order, if you added some more in the middle and it didnt change the number this wouldnt be the case anymore.

In all the events that you'd input a layer number into, that help box at the top just says layer number, or just says "layer that is affected" or something and has a number in the box by default. If it said "layer name or number that is affected" instead people would realise you could put in a name aswell. I think thats all that needs to be done about this.

• why not just use the layer name as the default value, that way shifting layers doesn't matter?

• thats what i meant, dont change the number when you create new layers, just call it layer 1 and keep it that way

• Does typing in the names actually work?

I can't get it to

either its a bug or im an idiot

also, when find and replace is made propperly, it should be capable of changing the layer numbers to layer names in seconds

• Does typing in the names actually work?

I can't get it to

either its a bug or im an idiot

also, when find and replace is made propperly, it should be capable of changing the layer numbers to layer names in seconds

I didn't take a look at the cap file, but you need to put the layer name within quotation marks.

"MyLayer"

• lol woops...seems that particular action only accepts ints Old code...

The other layer related actions seem to work fine, and this one has now been fixed

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)