Simple Network Chat

Post your Construct-made creations!

Post » Wed Mar 24, 2010 12:57 am

[quote="Chris018":lo54cj5r]Ive got a game in development and have been looking into this networking for a while.[/quote:lo54cj5r]
What type of game are you making? Right now any type of network chat program is trivial with Construct and Python. However, I am still experimenting with even the simplest of two player network games. One thing I don't want to break is Construct's ease of the event system and built-in behaviors, and graphical drag and drop design.

It is non-trivial figuring out how to fit the Python library into Construct's event system, without resorting to writing most everything in Python code, for a real game. I think once I figure out the best method then it should be fairly easy to follow the example and do similar games. It is kinda like the inventory system for the adventure tutorial, it took me quite a while to come up with the scheme and then everything looked really easy when it all came out in the end.

[quote="Chris018":lo54cj5r]Like will you release source or make a tutorial on how adding networking can be done?[/quote:lo54cj5r]
I do plan on creating a tutorial and releasing source to a simple game and the chat program sometime before 1.0. It would help to know what type of network games people plan on making so I can keep that in mind when making the tutorial.

p.s. Dead reckoning/interpolation will not be supported though. That is far too complex for the libraries I'm working with (at least without much more work) so only simple games without latency concerns will be supported/explained in the tutorial.
B
S
G

Post » Wed Mar 24, 2010 3:46 am

There is a partial experimental online plugin that Rich was working on.

You can get it here: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/604141/Public%2 ... plugin.rar

Say thank you to Sagal for hanging on to it... I lost it accidentally somehow but he still had a copy of it. :)

~Sol
Tired of crappy file hosts that are crappy? Get DROPBOX - https://db.tt/uwjysXJF
B
S
G

Post » Wed Mar 24, 2010 6:16 am

[quote="SoldjahBoy":13023yin]There is a partial experimental online plugin that Rich was working on.

Say thank you to Sagal for hanging on to it... I lost it accidentally somehow but he still had a copy of it. :)

~Sol[/quote:13023yin]
I tried it and couldn't get it to work :/
B
S
G

Post » Wed Mar 24, 2010 12:24 pm

[quote="AfterShock":2ao93bv4][quote="SoldjahBoy":2ao93bv4]There is a partial experimental online plugin that Rich was working on.

~Sol[/quote:2ao93bv4]
I tried it and couldn't get it to work :/[/quote:2ao93bv4]

Might have issues with newer versions, it's pretty old as far as I'm aware.
B
S
G

Post » Wed Mar 24, 2010 6:03 pm

It might have issues, period. It was really buggy, and was never even finished.
B
S
G

Post » Thu Mar 25, 2010 6:35 pm

I just really need to learn the basics of the networking for python + construct. I dont know python but im sure its not hard to learn. Once i learn the basics on combining Construct and Python networking im sure i would become work aholic to get something going. Kinda game i would work on long term would be a simple lobby system. And then user created servers for a top down kinda deathmatch/shooter game.
B
S
G

Post » Fri Mar 26, 2010 6:15 pm

[quote="deadeye":2udem1oc]It might have issues, period. It was really buggy, and was never even finished.[/quote:2udem1oc]

This.

Also you will need to make a server, either using something like Hamachi, or getting a static IP pass-through from your ISP.

~Sol
Tired of crappy file hosts that are crappy? Get DROPBOX - https://db.tt/uwjysXJF
B
S
G

Post » Sat Mar 05, 2011 9:34 am

How to know if your chatting is being monitored over a network? I'm on a network and I know about those MSN chatting monitors like Messenger Detect, MessengerLog, MSN Chat Monitor and Sniffer, MSN Chat Monitor, etc... Question is, how can I know if someone on my network is using any of these programs to monitor my chatting activities?
G

Post » Sat Mar 05, 2011 6:06 pm

You can't ever fully know if someone is passively monitoring network traffic. However, you could modify the chat client/server to support encryption. That way people monitoring would see that something is happening, but they wouldn't know what you are saying.
B
S
G

Previous

Return to Your Creations