Simple Zombie Game [Devlog]

0 favourites
From the Asset Store
Basic Rounded Vector Geometry Player Design with Glow for 3 player games
  • Hello friends,

I'm a hobbyist at this, game development and pixel art that is, meaning I don't put too much time into it and not my first priority. So probably like a lot of you, I have started many projects. Some just to try stuff out; many too over-ambitious. I haven't finished anything.

So the other day I had an idea for a simple little game. The more I thought about it the more I realized I should put all the other projects on hold (that I probably won't finish) and see if I can actually get this idea done.

Why did I create this thread?

• Hold myself accountable
    • Help out others by posting progress, event screenshots, and answer questions (like "how did you do that?", so feel free to ask)
    • Encouragement or tips from feedback
    • I like to share. People can try out the game if they think its cool

So right now is actually end of day 2 (which as a hobbyist that is 2 hours of work per day).

I will go back and explain more when I get a chance but here are two GIFs for now:

Setup a queue and movement system:

Tap screen and destination will go to back of queue. Once done with one item in queue will proceed to next

First draft of shooting animation:

Not sure if this will be placeholder or close to what I want. Right now just want anything decent so testing is more enjoyable

Once I get time I will go back and explain a little more about what the game will be and/or how some of this was event-ed.

Thanks for reading! More to come soon! (hopefully)

• Hey thats great your diving deeper into game making. If you want to have more chances to complete a full project just figure out a simple game mechanic and then build the game around that. Sometimes throw idea's into a text document (notepad) and from there go figure out what is simplest for you to implement and whats not.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Hey thats great your diving deeper into game making. If you want to have more chances to complete a full project just figure out a simple game mechanic and then build the game around that. Sometimes throw idea's into a text document (notepad) and from there go figure out what is simplest for you to implement and whats not.

Yes, this should be a very simple game mechanic. Thanks for the comment

• Basics of game:

Zombie defense game where you are in the middle of the screen and zombies come from 4 directions (Upper left, lower left, upper right, lower right). You touch/click on 4 quadrants of the screen to shoot at zombies coming from that direction. Before shooting player moves to designated spot for that direction, as you can see in the first gif in the first post. The movement, opposed to standing in one position, can create a bit of strategy as more moving less time firing.

The player will be in some kind of light barricade, as in like a waist high 'wall'. Zombies will take a little time to climb over, but obviously you know what happens if they do. Probably add a melee attack for killing zombies against/on-top-of the wall.

That is basically the gist of the initial goal of the game—pretty simple and straightforward. Once that is perfected I can think about adding different weapons, enemies, locations, leveling up, exploration/scavenging between waves, etc—but that is definitely outside the scope of the initial goal.

Thanks,

Next up: will post a screenshot of some events and quick explanation, for those interested

• Sounds like fun will you be targeting Android and PC or just PC?

• Sounds like fun will you be targeting Android and PC or just PC?

I am definitely targeting this for mobile with the simple interactions/controls/touchpoints but I have yet to export to anything but to web (due to not finishing any other projects).

So I will definitely upload and provide a link to play in browser when I get to that point where people can try it out. If I finish and it seems decent I will probably use it as a learning experience of exporting to other platforms.

• Queue Events

So I figured from time to time I would post how I have created aspects, such as the events behind them. Since I assume we all use Construct here that may help others and also open myself up to find some helpful feedback. So if that doesn't interest you (looking for gameplay screenshots or links to playable demo) then skip over these sections.

So this Queue I speak of is this right here:

Since this game won't be too complicated I only wanted the player to be able to queue up 3 actions. More than that I feel could get frustrating for the player to manage.

Basics:

• When player state is idle everything moves up in the queue, therefore next action started.
    • Tapping a quadrant adds to the queue (to shoot in that direction)
    • Double tapping a quadrant clears the queue then adds to it
    • Holding on quadrant fills the queue with that direction (controls may be swapped around after a little playtesting)
    • If queue is full nothing happens
    • These are all instance variables. Probably would make more sense using an array for the queue but already got it working now

Next I may display the player-state events (state-machine) which compliments and interacts this.

• Just spent a little time making a movement animation. First draft will probably be edited several times more later or completely replaced but works for now!

Now a lot of the base player mechanics are put in place so next to create the environment around him and the zombies.

• Last night I wanted to start working on some pixel art setting. I'm embarrassed on how long I worked and all I have to show for it is a tent and campfire:

(Same image as first post at the moment—updating first post with recent images to catch attention)

Decided to go with campground. I initially had other thoughts of location. But then I kept thinking, why not just hide inside? Or why setup in a spot that is vulnerable from every side when you could fortify a house or hallway etc etc where they would just be coming at you from one direction? Camping, whether he got coincidentally (for me) stuck camping when the zombie apocalypse began or is traveling around can camping each location can be decided later. Eventually I was hoping to have multiple locations anyway. So I'm happy with this location for now.

Will have makeshift barricade around the campsite. Probably just made of logs and anything else found in campsite or nature. Eventually will add other details and objects—backpacks and gear, pot of beans, etc.

Next on the Pixel Art aspect, I need to make some zombies for him to shoot!

• Added aiming formula so targeting closer enemies will be faster than aiming at ones further away.

Formula is basically:

(distance between player and enemy)/(distance between player and spawn/edge of screen)*(1.5-(aimingSkill/20)

So the first part basically gives a value between 0 and 1, 0 being closest to player and 1 being maximum distance, then multiplies that by 1.5 (seconds). The aimingSkill instance variable is set to 0 right now but allows me to add in leveling up later on.

Formula will probably need tweaking but will wait until more playable so it can be used to balance gameplay.

(haven't put the pixel art I created in the last post into Construct yet)

• Animated the campfire, hehe

• First draft of zombies and walk sequence:

Will probably change a lot but this if fine for now because I don't even know what I'm planning on doing since the zombie and grass are the same colors of green. Which one I'm going to change or if I will have dirt paths for them to walk on. Will figure it out as I go.

I also added formula for damage to zombies, which here is simplified version:

100%-1%-(35% x Distance*)+(25% x (AimSkill/10) x Distance*)

• Start at 100% success rate
    • -1% No matter what condition always has 1% chance of missing
    • Ignore the right half after the + because AimSkill starts at zero. Will add leveling up later. (zero times anything is zero)
    • *Distance: will be between 0 and 1. 1 being edge of screen and 0 being right at player. Same formula used in the aiming function which was explained in previous post
    • Let's say distance is zero, you would be dead, but for example's sake, zero times 35% is zero so 99% success rate
    • Zombie is at edge of screen/at spawning location -> distance would equal 1. Therefore 100%-1%-35% = 64%. So 64% is the lowest success rate possible with current formula (will probably tweak for balancing later)
    • I actually flip it around and pass the miss percentage by taking 1 minus above formula

playerShoot formula passes two parameters

• Random number between 0 and 1
    • The percentage chance of missing

:

After the animations, state variable, and such are changed the success rate will be compared to the random number. Four possible outcomes:

• Headshot: 5% chance all the time. For now, I want there always to be a chance of a headshot at any range. Above a 0.95 random number will cause instant death
    • 1.5 Damage: Not always possible but this is when you would make a "good shot" or "critical hit". Determined by if your random number is twice the fail chance. So if you have only 30% fail rate, above 0.3 will hit but above 0.6 will do 1.5 times damage. If fail chance is above 50% then this wouldn't be possible.
    • Regular damage: Obviously, if random number is higher than fail chance then it hits.

Damage number is stored in player instance variable so I can tweak easily and make it easy to add weapons with different damage. The zombie UID and amount of damage are passed to a function to deduct the health.

Next to do: blood particles and animating zombie death so shooting is more fulfilling!

• Have two zombie death animations done. Plan on doing at least one more. One is for headshot and other is slow death (for non-critical shots).

Need to do a lot more artwork and animations...

• I like your concept and cant wait to play it on my device. I made a 2D style game thats similar but only in a 2D plane with enemies coming left and right. I also had a shop where you can buy upgraded guns to survive longer. You can try it out https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... ghts&hl=en

Your game looks to have more depth though than mine. Your game is similar to swamp attack but I like your concept better because it makes more sense . I am glad you have gotten time to work on your project

• I like your concept and cant wait to play it on my device. I made a 2D style game thats similar but only in a 2D plane with enemies coming left and right. I also had a shop where you can buy upgraded guns to survive longer. You can try it out https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... ghts&hl=en

Your game looks to have more depth though than mine. Your game is similar to swamp attack but I like your concept better because it makes more sense . I am glad you have gotten time to work on your project

Thanks for the comment!

I appreciate the compliment of "more depth" but not sure I would go too far—I'm just in the beginning stages and don't have much yet!

I have an iphone, so there isn't a way to play your game? Haven't heard of swamp attack either.

I'm actually not certain what "depth" my game will go to. I keep thinking of new ideas for progression and such, keep going back and forth in my mind on which to follow. But right now, just trying to get the basics: the core gameplay and the basic art and animations required (art takes me a while!).

Thanks again!

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)