Simulating A Magnifying Glass Object

Get help using Construct 2

Post » Fri Nov 06, 2015 12:27 am

I'm thinking of ideas for game mechanics and one of them has the player using a magnifying glass object moving around by mouse to find another object. Have any developers here created a game build that simulates such an action? I think I have an idea of how to achieve it with events but I wanted to know if anyone else has done this. Any help would be appreciated.
B
S
G

Post » Fri Nov 06, 2015 3:39 am

Hey YoHoho, :)

You might be able to use either the "Destination In" or "Source In" blend mode.
You would need to make the magnifying glass out of two sprites,

(1) the image of the magnifying glass, and
(2) a "mask" for the glass area of the magnifying glass.

This mask sprite would have it's blend mode set to "Destination In" if you wanted items under it to become visible as the glass mask passes over them.
Alternatively, you can use "Source In" if you want the glass mask to reveal objects above the glass.

To see examples of these blend modes in action, you can open the blend modes example project.

In Construct2, from the main menu, choose New, and scroll down to, and open, "Example: Blend modes".
(You can also search for "blend" in the search field, instead of scrolling to find it.)
B
S
G

Post » Fri Nov 06, 2015 7:44 am

there is a supplied glfx called "lens" that could be used.

edit

nevermind.
Last edited by RamPackWobble on Fri Nov 06, 2015 8:32 am, edited 2 times in total.
August 2015 - I misplaced a lot of links - I will try to find backups and repost. If You find a post that interests please reply to post with @rampackwobble and I will get a nudge!

If you find my posts useful please consider donating something to a local charity or to the http://www.mndassociation.org/
B
S
G

Post » Fri Nov 06, 2015 8:11 am

YoHoho wrote:I'm thinking of ideas for game mechanics and one of them has the player using a magnifying glass object moving around by mouse to find another object. Have any developers here created a game build that simulates such an action? I think I have an idea of how to achieve it with events but I wanted to know if anyone else has done this. Any help would be appreciated.

Something like this?
If your vision so exceeds your ability, then look to something closer.
B
S
G

Post » Sat Nov 07, 2015 12:16 am

Thanks for the responses. The .capx file looks a little off but could probably be adjusted. I will definitely try out both suggestions when I get a chance.
B
S
G

Return to How do I....?