Site Stealing content from Scirra

Discussion and feedback on Construct 2

Post » Thu Dec 18, 2014 5:46 am

is there away to have the game before it load to check that is loading somehow on the site domain approved by the game developer?
B
S

Post » Thu Dec 18, 2014 1:43 pm

Tokinsom wrote:Welcome to the wonderful world of browser based gaming.

I'm sure is possible to stop your game if someone do that...

I mean, is possible to make a script (in java) to see if the game is running in your website... if not, just do black screen, I think is possible to do in php too
B
S

Post » Thu Dec 18, 2014 3:41 pm

goofyerr wrote:is there away to have the game before it load to check that is loading somehow on the site domain approved by the game developer?

Whilst I haven't tried this, here's a quick concept that'll redirect any stolen games and beat iframes, using Scirra's domain as an example.

I can't get the redirect to work in preview mode, but you could just as easily destroy groups of objects or make a pop up appear.

Happy Constructing.
B
S
G

Post » Thu Dec 18, 2014 4:51 pm

Elliott wrote:
goofyerr wrote:is there away to have the game before it load to check that is loading somehow on the site domain approved by the game developer?

Whilst I haven't tried this, here's a quick concept that'll redirect any stolen games and beat iframes, using Scirra's domain as an example.

I can't get the redirect to work in preview mode, but you could just as easily destroy groups of objects or make a pop up appear.

Happy Constructing.

It works if you do like this:
Don't forget to add "On start of layout"! Otherwise it will just make lots of requests ... And your IP will be temporarily banned :(
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
B
S
G

Post » Fri Dec 19, 2014 11:28 pm

@grigrizljac awesome!!!! now we're talking, i wonder since it is html5 if that code can be changed.....lol
B
S

Post » Sat Dec 20, 2014 2:35 am

@Elliott @grigrizljac

Love that idea...so simple! Though, it might break your game later on if you wanted to host it elsewhere, meaning you'd have to re-export it (and what if you lost your project file?). Maybe just some sort of warning or notification instead.
Don't lose your work. Backup your game with Dropbox.
B
S
G

Post » Sat Dec 20, 2014 7:51 am

TiAm wrote:@Elliott @grigrizljac

Love that idea...so simple! Though, it might break your game later on if you wanted to host it elsewhere, meaning you'd have to re-export it (and what if you lost your project file?). Maybe just some sort of warning or notification instead.

If you know (before exporting), where your game will be hosted (multiple URLs), you can do something like this (I've chosen 4 random URLs, they may not exist :D):
TryThis.png

TryThisOrThis.png

Here are 2 tutorials, if you want, take a look :)
https://www.scirra.com/tutorials/860/si ... ame/page-1
https://www.scirra.com/tutorials/1186/g ... d-help-you
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
B
S
G

Post » Sat Dec 20, 2014 4:19 pm

Hey guys! Thought I'd share my own ideas :P

So lets say I am a thief. Rawr. *steals wallet*

I decide to steal your game from the arcade and upload it to my own website. I run it and notice I get redirected to Scirra.com all the time, or the game's objects all destroy, or whatever outcome you picked to happen to your game if run on a different website.

I would instantly think that there is some protection in place. I would think it's something website related and then I'd open the games files up. I would find "Data.JS" and see all this strange obfuscated code because you ticked Minify like a good developer. Now I may give up at this point, but I decide to do a quick CTRL+F search and type "www." just incase I could find a website reference.
Bam. I found the website address it is trying to detect. I then modify this address to my own address. Done. I win. Mwahahhaha

In all seriousness, that is the case. Check out this screenshot of the data.js of a minified HTMl5 export of the event "Browser.URL = http://www.scirra.com":

FEAR NOT! I thought of an idea that I haven't physically tested if it 100% works but here it goes:
Instead of having the event plainly detecting the whole string "http://www.scirra.com", you could split parts of it up using Local Variables so that it's not as obvious! Here's a screenshot of splitting 1 piece of the URL to get an idea of what I mean (Not sure why the action is to vibrate but yeah):

I guess the more effort and time you put into splitting the URL up, the more effective it will be.
ImageImage

Now as a thief, I would need to spend much more time figuring this out.

Hope this was useful!
B
S
G

Post » Sat Dec 20, 2014 4:29 pm

@Jase00 if you want to go as far, you could also play around with the stringfromkeycode keyboard expression, which would co'vert for exemple 72 to h, 84 to t, etc...

however that seems more annoying that useful, the best would be to do a request to your server, and verify if it works (sort of breaks offline play though)
Game design is all about decomposing the core of your game so it becomes simple instructions.
B
S
G

Post » Sat Dec 20, 2014 5:02 pm

This whole discussion revolves around the fact that games get "stolen" from Scirra's arcade.
But according to the terms of use and the fact that there is an embedding code in each game's page, it's not the case. At all.

It's always been a part of the arcade that games can be shared/used over other websites.
You don't want your game being taken from the arcade and put elsewhere ?
Easiest protection is to not upload your game to this online service as its terms of use does not fit you.

And that is the very same with all online services. You don't like how they perform according to their term of use ? Don't use them.
New to Construct ? Where to start

Image Image

Image Image

Please attach a capx to any help request or bug report !
B
S
G

PreviousNext

Return to Construct 2 General