Sliding Attack Assistance

This forum is currently in read-only mode.
From the Asset Store
Zombie attack is a survival game, where you have 2 types of games: Killer and survival.
  • I'm working on my first game as a gift to my girlfriend. I've been hammering out the mechanics for a week now and have almost everything done. In my testing, however, I have noticed a strange bug that prevents me from attacking while performing a wall slide while holding the down movement button. I've reviewed my events and can't seem to find the issue. I was hoping one of you helpful veterans could take a look and see if I am missing something.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/32712975/kvla.cap

Movement is WASD, jump is J, attack is K. To wall slide jump against a wall and hold against it. You can jump kick off the wall as well as double jump. Also, you can skip the first layout by pressing Enter.

Thanks!

• The problem has nothing to do with your events; it's the control setup

Keyboards can only register so many keys at a time, and the cap changes depending on the keys used. For me, using the arrow keys and S to jump / D to shoot fixes it.

• The problem has nothing to do with your events; it's the control setup

Keyboards can only register so many keys at a time, and the cap changes depending on the keys used. For me, using the arrow keys and S to jump / D to shoot fixes it.

I considered that, but if that was the case why would sliding while holding up at the same time and firing work? I don't mind switching around the controls to get it working, I'm just curious.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • the cap changes depending on the keys used

Seems it will register 3 keys when holding up, but not when holding down. That's all I can think of atleast ^^;

• > the cap changes depending on the keys used

>

Seems it will register 3 keys when holding up, but not when holding down. That's all I can think of atleast ^^;

That's so odd. Thanks for looking at it and the help.

Further testing shows that while I'm sliding on a wall to the right, it doesn't work. However, if I'm sliding on a wall to the left, it works! Wow. I don't get it.

• Keyboards can only register so many keys at a time, and the cap changes depending on the keys used. For me, using the arrow keys and S to jump / D to shoot fixes it.

Needs to be mentioned that it's also different for many keyboards, since they are not all wired the same.

I tried it and it seemed to work fine on both my laptop and stationary computer (although I find the use of WASD for a platform game, not using the mouse, awkward).

The, probably, safest way to be sure your keys dont cancel each other out is to use arrow keys + Z/X or arrow keys + S/D, or something to that effect. I usually consider the arrow keys in combination with a, s, d and/or z, x, c, as safe.

• Thanks to everyone for the help.

Like what was said, switching back to a setup using arrow keys for movement fixed everything. Hopefully when I switch to working in controller input it won't cause issues there.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)