Snapping mechanics

Show us your works in progress and request feedback

Post » Wed Nov 12, 2014 7:45 pm

Hello!

I am quite new to Construct 2. Have been working with it for a few weeks. And still using the free version.
But nontheless I have drafted out a game that I would like to develop. I have already prototyped some of the mechanics I plan on using.
On one of these I would like to get some feedback/help from you.
I am trying to create a userfriendly snapping system. This is for building/modyfing players vehicle.
Here's what I have:
Just the mechanics.

I don't know if that's the most economical way of implementing it or if there is some better/smarter way. Or I should scrap it all and start again.
Maybe some of you are willing to take a look at the capx file I attached and give some advice :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
B
S
G

Post » Wed Nov 12, 2014 9:38 pm

Looks good. Easy enough from a user's perspective. Internally, I'm sure the four almost-identical code blocks (7, 10, 13, 16) can be made into one :) Don't have the time now but I've done similar optimizations in other posts recently. Hint: arrays. Also if you had the full version you could use a Container rather than keeping UID. Good luck.

edit: actually I meant families not arrays, but that is a full version feature also
Last edited by codah on Thu Nov 13, 2014 8:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
B
S
G

Post » Thu Nov 13, 2014 7:14 am

codah, thank you for the reply.
Arrays and containers, you say! I'll take a look and see what I can come up with.
B
S
G

Post » Thu Nov 13, 2014 9:43 am

Yes, libraries would help alot. But I think in this case a little array made quite a difference.
And it turns out that in free version it is possible to use containers. This made my events much easier to read.
Added the new version.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
B
S
G

Post » Thu Nov 13, 2014 9:49 am

allavett wrote:Yes, libraries would help alot. But I think in this case a little array made quite a difference.
And it turns out that in free version it is possible to use containers. This made my events much easier to read.
Added the new version.

ok cool I thought it was pro only. And looks like arrays to the rescue again :)
B
S
G

Post » Thu Nov 13, 2014 11:00 am

:) Thank you, codah, for pushing me in the right direction!
B
S
G

Post » Thu Nov 13, 2014 11:07 am

Not sure if I really did anything, but glad to help!
B
S
G

Return to Works in Progress/Feedback Requests