So... Stencyl just released some playable demos.

Chat about anything not covered in these forums, but keep it civil!

Post » Thu Apr 08, 2010 9:13 pm

[quote="Neo1000":2q3mxmcj]They have made some sort of cropped picture:

Oh wait, this looks a lot like Scratch[/quote:2q3mxmcj]

Kind of reminds me of Alice as well.

Out of the three games I'd say the Versus game was the best, but it still felt a little sluggish and the controls were WAY overcomplicated. You could create that control scheme with a lot fewer keys by adding some context-sensitive controls. It would probably work better with mouse aim too, especially since you could solve the "press X to turn your mech around" problem by just facing the mouse cursor. Still it seemed like the most polished game.

Second favorite was the pumpkin game. The platforming was a lot better than the astronaut game, but they still sort of felt really similar to each other. Like they were made from the same template or something, and the creators didn't bother to change up the settings for the platforming all that much. I thought some of the enemies in the pumpkin game were coded decently too. It could use checkpoints or lives though, I kept dying on the falling-platforms-with-spikes-under-them bit on level 2. It seems they have a problem with the player staying rooted to falling platforms as well :P

[quote="6Fix":2q3mxmcj]I really don't like that GUI. The pastel colors don't help anything either, I think. Makes it look like it's for Children.[/quote:2q3mxmcj]

If that is indeed a shot of their GUI then yeah I'd have to agree with that one. But it looks so similar to Scratch that I can't help but wonder if it really is just a shot of Scratch. I can't imagine that they'd actually bite off of another game maker/programming thing so blatantly.

[quote="Lost my Keys":2q3mxmcj]Yeah cause construct would never look anything like another application out there, oh wait.[/quote:2q3mxmcj]

Hey now what are you trying to say, LMK? :P
B
S
G

Post » Thu Apr 08, 2010 9:23 pm

[quote="deadeye":245y9ckd]If that is indeed a shot of their GUI then yeah I'd have to agree with that one. But it looks so similar to Scratch that I can't help but wonder if it really is just a shot of Scratch. [/quote:245y9ckd]

STENCYL

SCRATCH

You weren't kidding! :|
B
S
G

Post » Thu Apr 08, 2010 9:24 pm

Well the Scratch thing he talked about is an open source project. Then again that one little sliver really doesn't tell you much, other than its kinda nodal, and drag and drop.
It just seems everything they produce never really provides proof of existence.
Image Image
B
S
G

Post » Thu Apr 08, 2010 9:34 pm

[quote="Caspis Sinclair":2hosts0n]
STENCYL

SCRATCH[/quote:2hosts0n]

Alrighty then, it seems I have found the answer to this little puzzle:
http://scratch.mit.edu/forums/viewtopic.php?id=26990

The similarity is no coincidence, they modeled the interface directly off of Scratch, with full the permission of the creators of Scratch. They also have recruited Scratch users to be Stencyl beta-testers.

Honestly, I think that sort of collaboration across projects is pretty damn cool. That still doesn't make the candy-colored programming interface any more attractive to me, though.
B
S
G

Post » Fri Apr 09, 2010 12:42 am

[quote="Neo1000":15ahysv5]
The thing I do like is that you can make Browser games like flash with that.[/quote:15ahysv5]

But can you save it as a .swf so you can use it in your own web project?
Or better yet .fla?
B
S
G

Post » Fri Apr 09, 2010 10:33 am

[quote="Guyon":2p6st8pp]But can you save it as a .swf so you can use it in your own web project?
Or better yet .fla?[/quote:2p6st8pp]
Woah, woah, really? I never saw this anywhere. Did I miss something?

And about the Stencyl/Scratch similarity. It's a nice idea to evolve this nice program with more features to use as a game creator. What I see is, that it's working also on Mac OS X making this something better than Construct. But I'm still sceptic if the puzzle interface will work for making nice looking games.
B
S
G

Post » Fri Apr 09, 2010 11:46 am

Hey, let's not bash anything without a good reason, okay? It is not like any of us have actually used it. So Stencyl actually exists, that's groovy. Games can be made with it, groovy. But I'll reserve judgment until I can make something myself... then I'll bring on bashhammer. No sooner.
B
S
G

Post » Fri Apr 09, 2010 2:01 pm

Interesting to see a new game creator coming about, but it's still very thin on details of the creator application itself. The StencylWorks page now says it's directly inspired by Scratch - is that an edit since you guys saw it? Still, I'm a bit disappointed since I always thought of Scratch as being an educational tool or toy (no disrespect meant to the Scratch folk though, looks like they're doing a good job). Stencyl might fall in to the awkward system of having a rudimentary event system with scripting for everything else, like GameMaker (where I think the pros consider scripting the only decent way to make games).

The games from a technical standpoint seem very simple and since I'm used to V-synced floating point scrolling, the Java scrolling looks pretty shakey to me. (if it's software rendered that's going to be hard to fix)

The java/web-play system is cool and we don't have anything like that, but Multimedia Fusion does now, so I think they'll have a tough time persuading any MMF users to move over, especially considering how simple the games look.

I still don't like their secracy. Their entire userbase is incredibly overhyped, so I wonder how much down-to-earth reviews they really hear.
Scirra Founder
B
S
G

Post » Fri Apr 09, 2010 2:24 pm

[quote="Caspis Sinclair":wanqsb7z][quote="deadeye":wanqsb7z]If that is indeed a shot of their GUI then yeah I'd have to agree with that one. But it looks so similar to Scratch that I can't help but wonder if it really is just a shot of Scratch. [/quote:wanqsb7z]

STENCYL

SCRATCH

You weren't kidding! :|[/quote:wanqsb7z]

Yep and Construct GUI look's similar to MMF, I felt it similar to MMF the first time I opened it and still think of it like MMF especially event editor GUI look's more or less to MMF, anyway those 3 game's were fun imo but they should do more, I still doubt it will be as good as Construct in 2D tough but it's pretty early to tell, I do like the feature to create game's that work on web tough, I hope it will also be possible to export them as .swf but Stencyl isn't the only one that can make game's online MMF2 can export .swf file's as well with the new flash plug-in, I am not a fan of making game's online tough.
B
S
G

Post » Fri Apr 09, 2010 2:32 pm

[quote:1l9nrl5r]Some "Behaviors," as we're calling them now, come with the kits in StencylWorks, but many more can be found on StencylForge.[/quote:1l9nrl5r]

My god, they're taking everything!

(kidding :mrgreen: )

I'm assuming that the lack of detailed information means they're still partially in "stealth mode". This reveal seems more like it is to appease the people who have been waiting a very long time for something.

If anything, this just makes it more frustrating. There are actual examples of games now but you can't help but think; "Surely it can do more than THAT".
B
S
G

PreviousNext

Return to Open Topic