So.. what do you guys do?

Chat about anything not covered in these forums, but keep it civil!

Post » Wed Aug 06, 2008 7:57 am

[quote="deadeye":2b4lt8xd]I also dig movies, but after taking some film classes I tend to be more critical of them. I can usually guess the entire plot of a movie within the first five or ten minutes, just based on the introduction of the main characters. Often times I can guess it just based off the trailer. Kinda sucks watching movies when you have knowledge of plot structure and character archetypes, but it makes movies that I can't guess the plot to all the more enjoyable.

Oddly enough though, having a little background knowledge has made watching bad movies more fun. I know it's going to be bad, so I can just turn off the analytical part of my brain and enjoy it. It's good movies that I have a hard time enjoying thoroughly, because I'm always "behind the scenes" so to speak.[/quote:2b4lt8xd]
Heh, I know what you mean, I did Film Studies and Media courses , and I find myself concentrating on stuff like direction, cinematography, mise en scene etc rather than the plot sometimes. I'll be sat there looking for hidden meanings, or wondering how they did something. It can either ruin a film, or make it better. I sometimes just try to turn that part of my brain off and enjoy the film.

I did a Computer Graphics course also, I saw it through to it's crappy conclusion. They didn't teach us much, just kinda showed us how to open the programs and let us get on with it, and I think most of the class surpassed the tutors' abilities. I've drifted away from the 3D side of things more now, I think mainly due to my job. I still have some decent renders to show for it at least. I've been meaning to get back into it though, and I've found myself booting 3D Studio MAX up more often, although only for smaller things at the moment.
B
S
G

Post » Wed Aug 06, 2008 10:42 am

[quote="AsparagusTrevor":19ok58n3]I did a Computer Graphics course also, I saw it through to it's crappy conclusion. They didn't teach us much, just kinda showed us how to open the programs and let us get on with it[/quote:19ok58n3]
That doesn't sound great. But talking about knowing too much and overanalysing, having done computer graphics programming, I'm always picking apart adverts. Aliasing on that zooming title... aliasing on that motion blur... some ads are really lazy about it :P
Scirra Founder
B
S
G

Post » Wed Aug 06, 2008 11:00 am

[quote="AsparagusTrevor":323cxapr]I did a Computer Graphics course also, I saw it through to it's crappy conclusion. They didn't teach us much, just kinda showed us how to open the programs and let us get on with it, and I think most of the class surpassed the tutors' abilities.[/quote:323cxapr]

Damn, that's a shame. If you're going to shell out the money for school, they should be giving you what it's worth.

My photoshop (aka "Image Manipulation") classes were, thankfully, educational for me. I thought I was okay at it before but damn, I didn't know half as much about photoshop as I thought I did. Even so, I only took the intro and intermediate classes, they don't require you to take advanced classes unless you're going into web design or whatever. Still, they teach you enough to do texturing and compositing and matte painting and stuff, and some print media prep. I mean, besides the regular photo manipulation stuff.

Ahrg, I miss school :(
B
S
G

Post » Wed Aug 06, 2008 11:59 pm

I try to avoid being outdoors too much this time of year, but when it gets cooler I enjoy kayaking and camping. The camping part especially demands cooler weather... I can't imagine how anyone could enjoy sleeping in a tent when its so hot and humid. :?

I don't really care about the exercise part of it, although I imagine its probably good for your cardio. I just like being out on the water and getting the chance to see animals in the wild.

One of these days I'm going to see a shark! I've lived in Florida for over 20 years and despite all of the time I've spent on the water I can only say that I think I saw a fin once.
B
S
G

Post » Thu Aug 07, 2008 9:52 pm

Im a gamer, sad but true. its all I do. dont have the money for anything else and going down the road of debt. Other than making games I walk my cats outside. Yes I walk my cats. I also collect little cat knick-knacks. All this stuff you guys do sounds pretty productive >.< Construct is free though! and I can steal internet from the neighbors, however weak it may be. w00t! :D
B
S
G

Post » Wed Aug 13, 2008 6:01 am

Just starting out at Tafe (you Aussies will know what it is). Doing Certificate III in Network Administration, we start out doing the plain old hardware/software stuff - learning about using DOS, BIOS, building computers and ports, that sort of thing, then we do some stuff like installing and optimizing OSes (we did a bit of this, and as an experiment we installed Mac OS onto normal hardware - it was hilarious).

Aside from that, I've been learning Torquescript and have become quite an avid Blockland player (hence the learning the Torquescript), and it's opened my eyes a great deal on the ways a lot of things work. Everything in Construct seems a lot simpler now, but at the same time it feels a lot more restricted as well, so I'm considering setting aside some time to learn Python too.

I've also got a part-time/casual job at a local internet cafe - on my nights off, I can use their computers free of charge for just about anything I want, it's giving me some experience in tech support, and I'm also using the cash to save for a new PC of my own (plus I get special deals on a lot of hardware from there - and I recently picked up two semi-new 8600 cards for the price of one as well - such a pity I lack a computer with a PCI-E compatible motherboard :lol: )
It's also giving me some experience at basically blind operating of the BIOS, as the better part of the backends on the internet cafe computers is in Chinese.

And I've managed to get myself into a long-distance relationship with a girl in Montreal. I've been busy these past few months :P
I know why people hate long-distance relationships. It's not so much that you can't be physically together, as her and I seem to fit together like Yin and Yang - even by name - but it's waking up in the morning, and thinking for a second that she's there, then realizing that she's not. While I've never been happier in my life (I have actually been diagnosed as being free of depression - for the first time in almost twelve years), waking up has never been more sad. :cry: It also seems strange how we're both the opposite of what we should be - her name is derived from a word meaning happiness and mine from a word for sorrow, yet I am feeling so damn happy and she's been feeling sad. I guess that while she's my little ray of sunshine I'm her little raincloud. :(
B
S
G

Post » Mon Aug 25, 2008 9:04 am

I'm 24 and work at stupid Officeworks part time
I failed a digital arts and media course back when i though i was going to be a graphic artist for a living, since then i've discovered music and can now play a host of instruments although i can only really play guitar well, maybe piano.
I like music such as dream theater, sonata arctica, nightwish, kamelot, symphony x etc to name a few but i also love a lot of classical and romantic stuff, and i still quite enjoy a lot of electronic music and game music, i do a little composing but not much.
I'm currently in my third year of a music degree and am going to be a music teacher.
I do however quite enjoy making games on the side not to mention playing lots of thems :)
B
S
G

Post » Tue Sep 02, 2008 4:51 pm

I read few posts and noticed few:
Vinny learn Finnish its the best language after english :P You dont need swedish for anything but finnish for everything like talkin to me:P

I just play pc games and stuff like that
B
S
G

Post » Wed Sep 03, 2008 12:52 am

[quote="Sagal":1g6ef58a]I read few posts and noticed few:
Vinny learn Finnish its the best language after english :P You dont need swedish for anything but finnish for everything like talkin to me:P

I just play pc games and stuff like that[/quote:1g6ef58a]

Sagal puhutko suomea? Min puhun vhn, mutta se on vaikea US...

That's probably not proper Finnish... :roll:
B
S
G

Post » Tue Sep 09, 2008 9:15 am

I keep my self pretty busy. I got to school for graphic design and art and work as an independent computer technician (like geek squad only I charge less but make a lot more since I don't have to share my earnings. :3).

Casually, besides making games, I draw (though not terribly well. http://kayin.pyoko.org has my art), play fighting games fairly competitively (as In a travel to tournaments) and basically take up little hobbies here and their like yo-yos, or magic tricks or butterfly knives. Little dexterity hobbies. Right now I'm also learning to solve rubik's cube fast. I'm down to a minute and 30 seconds average. I want to push my self to under a minute average. I don't think I have the time and attention to reach the '20 second' mark. I'm also an active roleplayer and general geek.
B
S
G

PreviousNext

Return to Open Topic