So What Is Your First Impression Of C3?

Post » Tue Mar 28, 2017 9:42 pm

Since it actually works, for the most part - i pretty do like it. Yep....i really do. The new web interface is quite nice and scales very well on my 4k screen - as compared to C2 (best to run C3 in "desktop" mode rather than in browser). Its blazing fast to load now which is great. But everything feels familiar yet very light weight. Had to look around for a few things but for the most part they were there. To top it off....i'm now able to run this on my Mac. I built a simple little game in the past couple hours on it which I may continue on later if some of the limitations such as layers (one of the best things about working in C2) and events were increased.
B
S
G

Post » Tue Mar 28, 2017 9:53 pm

One thing I just noticed that is quite annoying. Let's say I want save my c3p files locally in a folder. I can't chose, it just downloads to whatever is my download folder. (Download a copy) Would be better if you at least got the "Download as... dialogue...

Another quite annoying thing is... Storing files locally you can't just double click them to open them in C3. the c3p extension is not recognized by the system. I doubt you will never be able to just double-click a c3p file to open it. ( like how I always open my C2 files) How would you associate a c3p file with a loading function on a webpage? lol
Follow my progress on Twitter
or in this thread Archer Devlog
B
S
G

Post » Tue Mar 28, 2017 10:11 pm

Interesting that the free edition here is even more restrictive than C2. It might as well just be a "does this run on machine or not" tier. Would greatly have preferred less limitations on the actual software but with more restrictions on commercialization. Allow hobbyists to get a better sense of if the software is worth the investment, otherwise there are other options out there.

Hopefully the answer to the above is not "Construct 2 is still available."

Anyways, real first impression for me is this feels very "Construct 2.5" and not 3, but if it evolves over time to include things people have asked for since CC days, then it could become a true successor.

Hard to say if it's worth a subscription as of yet (which is not necessarily the intent of a beta, but you only get one shot at a first impression). There are more options out there of varying prices (and quality) than ever before.

My first impression is not negative, but is rather neutral.
B
S
G

Post » Tue Mar 28, 2017 10:29 pm

Been playing around a bit on my tablet, the one annoying thing so far is if you accidentally press the back button you lose everything since you last saved. A warning asking whether you really want to quit would be good
B
S
G

Post » Tue Mar 28, 2017 10:40 pm

Darth Crusher wrote:Been playing around a bit on my tablet, the one annoying thing so far is if you accidentally press the back button you lose everything since you last saved. A warning asking whether you really want to quit would be good

Same thing happened on my phone. I made a bug report about it. Well, not a bug really but a suggestion to add a prompt.
B
S
G

Post » Tue Mar 28, 2017 10:41 pm

Personally, not impressed at all. C2 in a browser. Cant test my current project. And my main project which Ive been waiting for two years to test on it. So very difficult to make my mind about the product with so little info.

Cant even figure out where to add custom addons and plugins yet. A desktop version would've been way better.
B
S
G

Post » Tue Mar 28, 2017 10:59 pm

Honestly I'm not terribly happy with what we have so far, but it's not far off what I expected from the info we have received so far.
You do have to take into account that it's more than just a rewrite, there's a lot of stuff that is most likely custom built.
I say likely as I wasn't as privy to the creation process as I'm used too, which is actually off putting, and it feels like Im playing in someone else's sandbox.

That with the lack of features that were hinted at make my corner have a funny smell.

They have my support as always, but there's a lot of things that need to be addressed.
Image ImageImage
B
S
G

Post » Tue Mar 28, 2017 11:35 pm

So far, I tried a Construct 2 project and despite exceding the (annoyingly short) event limit it worked. But then I stumbled into this, so it is unplayable right now. I hope they address it soon, i guess something like that should be trivial to fix, but it breaks backwards compatibility for me and I need it for a big project Im doing for the scirra store, so obviously I really want it to work on Construct 3!
B
S
G

Post » Tue Mar 28, 2017 11:35 pm

Not able to test on iphone/Ipad. Do not own any other mobile devices than those.
Had to install Chrome to run it on desktop windows.
Ok, nothing new we knew it all on beforehand.

Of course everyone are different! But I am still feeling nope to the new C3. I can't get beyond the browser-ness of it. Even if I have turned it into "app" on shortcut. But then I am quite "aspie" about this, I want the software to look like Windows software with my set colors and fonts in system. Anything that deviate from that I feel I have to readjust to and it is a long uphill phase for me.

And while C2's borders ribbons etc are wider I feel the newer is fatter still. It is the fonts and missing small things. The font is larger in properties trees etc making it looks antialiased and fuzzy. Same thing with the event sheet text, fuzzy text there. In C2 I have set it to Tahoma, 10 which is crisp and nice.

Also missing my own settings of C2 etc. Pressing ctrl+f4 to close project, whoops whole browser bye bye!

I think it can get used to, maybe, eventually. But I haven't been really inspired to do anything. opening ongoing projects from C2 = millions of missing stuff (mostly often LiteTween but also Rex's stuff, and some effects such as Scroll etc) so being unable to even test them.

The other projects are just testers and mostly working.

First time I tried to run the kiwi game it crashed C3.

I installed fresh Chrome same day and hasn't added anything to it, but still it whined about pop-up. Gamepad not working.

As the new features hasn't been added yet and waiting for the effects/plugins/behav. I think I will stick to C2 for the while and wait until more features and addons to better test things.

What I like:
Start page is better with nicer overview of templates/demos/examples.

My humble opinion from first day and 4 starts.
B
S
G

Post » Tue Mar 28, 2017 11:45 pm

My first impressions are pretty bad. Construct 2.1, at best. Calling it Construct 2.5 is being too generous.
It's literally the exact same program ported to the browser, with more limitations.

I think a more accurate name is Construct 2, Chrome edition, but it'd probably be harder to cash in on us with that title.
B
S
G

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion