So What Is Your First Impression Of C3?

0 favourites
From the Asset Store
Jump on the mole rats and see how far you can go!
  • Today is the release of the free Beta of C3 and if you have not tried it here is the link:

https://editor.construct.net/

I gave it a try this morning and had a few problems getting the demo's to run until I turned off adblocker and enabled pop ups.

Then I tried a few of my current C2 games that don't have alot of events and no addons but couldn't get them to run.

Finally got one game that has only 20 events to run so I could test it a llttle and it worked fine.

Noticed some significant lag when I frst ran C3 and after posting a bug report I checked my platform settings and discovered I was running Chrome 32 which came on the 64 bit computer I purchased a year ago so I updated to Chrome 64 and that seems to have solved some of the lag problem so C3 was useful in that respect.

I have not tried designing a game in C3 yet and will probably try that tonight but if you have and you want to share your experiences or first impressions of C3 I would be interested in your impressions.

Try to keep it civil and remember this is a Beta test so bugs are expected for awhile.

• Im pretty sure this should be on a tshirt:

• Im pretty sure this should be on a tshirt:

LOL- did you try to change your profile pic too?

• First impression was that the start page could use a bit of UX love. Looks a bit messy and too grey.

The first thing I noticed different from C2 is that I can finally use touch completely in C3 without any extra 3rd party apps. C2 has terrible touch/stylus support. So this is a big plus, since I'm usually developing on a Surface Pro 4, on my back in the Sofa.

Everything else seemed very familiar but a bit more polished. Except for the layout and event sheet tabs that looks out of place with the rest of the UI design. My OCD working with UX/UI design kicks in on small things like this.

Two finger zooming in layout is jumpy/doesn't work. Scrolling works with one finger which feels a bit odd. Usually that's a 2 finger command in most apps.

I couldn't open any of my C2 files in PC but some worked on Mac. Nothing happened when I clicked open. No errors, they just didn't load.

Besides from that, and considering it's beta so far I haven't noticed anything major.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • I want to try the editor, but I can't yet.

Seriously, I want to love it- but I have to wait several more months or more, unfortunately. But the good news is that most of the bugs will be sorted out by then.

• > Im pretty sure this should be on a tshirt:

>

>

LOL- did you try to change your profile pic too?

Its pretty close already.

• My first impression - C2 in a browser.

I would prefer a normal downloadable version.

• My first impression is that this is actually an alpha build and not ready for public beta testing yet. I'll probably be checking back in a few weeks to see where the development is at by then.

• My first impression is that this is actually an alpha build and not ready for public beta testing yet. I'll probably be checking back in a few weeks to see where the development is at by then.

Hey Burvey!

Haven't seen you around the forum much. Hope all is well.

Yes I have to agree and with only 40 events and no features that were hyped to test I can't see how this is helping them to sell people on C3 and may do the opposite.

This should have been run with experienced apha testers instead of a public release I think.

• My first impression - C2 in a browser.

I would prefer a normal downloadable version.

I have pressed them on a desktop version and they said they would have a free version available but maybe not until after the game jam.

• Since it actually works, for the most part - i pretty do like it. Yep....i really do. The new web interface is quite nice and scales very well on my 4k screen - as compared to C2 (best to run C3 in "desktop" mode rather than in browser). Its blazing fast to load now which is great. But everything feels familiar yet very light weight. Had to look around for a few things but for the most part they were there. To top it off....i'm now able to run this on my Mac. I built a simple little game in the past couple hours on it which I may continue on later if some of the limitations such as layers (one of the best things about working in C2) and events were increased.

• One thing I just noticed that is quite annoying. Let's say I want save my c3p files locally in a folder. I can't chose, it just downloads to whatever is my download folder. (Download a copy) Would be better if you at least got the "Download as... dialogue...

Another quite annoying thing is... Storing files locally you can't just double click them to open them in C3. the c3p extension is not recognized by the system. I doubt you will never be able to just double-click a c3p file to open it. ( like how I always open my C2 files) How would you associate a c3p file with a loading function on a webpage? lol

• Been playing around a bit on my tablet, the one annoying thing so far is if you accidentally press the back button you lose everything since you last saved. A warning asking whether you really want to quit would be good

• Been playing around a bit on my tablet, the one annoying thing so far is if you accidentally press the back button you lose everything since you last saved. A warning asking whether you really want to quit would be good

Same thing happened on my phone. I made a bug report about it. Well, not a bug really but a suggestion to add a prompt.

• Honestly I'm not terribly happy with what we have so far, but it's not far off what I expected from the info we have received so far.

You do have to take into account that it's more than just a rewrite, there's a lot of stuff that is most likely custom built.

I say likely as I wasn't as privy to the creation process as I'm used too, which is actually off putting, and it feels like Im playing in someone else's sandbox.

That with the lack of features that were hinted at make my corner have a funny smell.

They have my support as always, but there's a lot of things that need to be addressed.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)