So What Is Your First Impression Of C3?

Post » Sun Apr 02, 2017 9:37 am

foxium wrote:It feels like this is a very first version and Scirra just starting to create an engine.

MassimoF wrote:I'm wondering how much time will be necessary to have a full working version

Well, seeing as how the earliest available version of C2 was released 26th Jun, 2011, if this can be compared to the earliest versions of C2, I'd say about 6 more years. lol which that's not even considering the fact they will also be working on C2 alongside it.
B
S
G

Post » Sun Apr 02, 2017 1:15 pm

corlenbelspar wrote:Well, seeing as how the earliest available version of C2 was released 26th Jun, 2011, if this can be compared to the earliest versions of C2, I'd say about 6 more years. lol which that's not even considering the fact they will also be working on C2 alongside it.

The early versions of C2 were far, far more primitive than what we are launching now with C3. r45 came out in June 2011. We didn't add core features like audio support, animations, collision polygons, WebGL support, and more until later down the line.
Scirra Founder
B
S
G

Post » Sun Apr 02, 2017 1:19 pm

Ashley wrote:The early versions of C2 were far, far more primitive than what we are launching now with C3. r45 came out in June 2011. We didn't add core features like audio support, animations, collision polygons, WebGL support, and more until later down the line.

After reading through the impressions of many C2 game developers I know and trust it looks like most of us have the same complaints and concerns about C3.

I would like to suggest Scirra reads through this feedback and consider doing something that will help those of us that do not have a desire to move to a browser based subscription engine and may now be considering leaving Scirra altogether.

Put the new features and exporters you are including in C3 (many that we have asked for for years) into C2 or create a package of those features and exporters as an addon for C2.

I would happily pay another $99 (no subscription) for a package of working features and exporters for the existing C2 engine and I think most C2 game designers would be willing to support Scirra in that way.

As it looks, Scirra is going a direction with C3 that most of your C2 users are not thrilled with to say the least and this package idea would be a way to keep the people that has supported Scirra with our money and through designing plugins and promoting you in our games happy and shows you have a long term interest in supporting C2 and we will not be abandoned.

I know Scirra has invested a lot of time into C3 and you are hoping it will be popular and be the next big thing and that is an admirable project but if you lose your C2 users in the process was it worth it?

I would appreciate @Tom & @Ashley to read and consider what the users have said on this thread.
Banned User
B
S
G

Post » Sun Apr 02, 2017 1:56 pm

My first impression is like that of many users, C2 in a browser
It opens very fast and goes fluid

I was going to buy C3 because in with C2 they had done a good job, but the subscription model and see that C3 is not much more than a C2 in the browser, with some improvements, this have done that C3 already not interests me

I won't rent C2 in a browser

Perhaps they believe that in the future, they cannot include major changes that would justify buying again...

Maybe for this reason subscription model? i dont know, I still do not understand it

I bought GMS2 and I'm waiting to buy F3

It would have also bought with a few improvements,I wanted to buy C3, but cannot be
CODE FOR FUN
B
S
G

Post » Sun Apr 02, 2017 6:32 pm

Ashley wrote:The early versions of C2 were far, far more primitive than what we are launching now with C3. r45 came out in June 2011. We didn't add core features like audio support, animations, collision polygons, WebGL support, and more until later down the line.

I'm aware those versions are most likely cavemen paintings compared to C3 in its current state, I just prefer to consider the worst-case scenario of anything so I'm more prepared for curveballs life throws at me.

I would be willing to rent C3 if it was a rent-to-own model, even if I ended up paying more in the total cost of if it were just purchased outright, but I am extremely averse towards needing a subscription forever. Or even what one user suggested that we can only use versions up to what we paid for and if we didn't continue the subscription, we no longer get updates but can still use it. I think the latter is the best model for you to go with. I imagine people would even be willing to pay more per month for that thing than a yearly subscription would total to per month and you totally lose access.
B
S
G

Post » Sun Apr 02, 2017 8:22 pm

I was initially excited for C3, considering it holds some cool improvements that could be useful in helping me out...

But know that I know that it's a subscription type thing? Yikes...
It doesn't really seem like any huge changes in C3, just a new look and things that would have been great in C2.
I would get it if it were a one-time purchase but... in its current state it doesn't seem worth such a subscription.
B
S

Post » Sun Apr 02, 2017 11:48 pm

I wonder if some of the concerns might be improved by either extending the discount for C2 buyers for 2-3 years, or perhaps even offering a reduced cost subscription option that removes a few features that have server costs associated.

Whatever that could be done to make it more palatable for a hobbyist while keeping the subscription model, and showing further appreciation for previous users (not that they haven't!)

Just some added thoughts from me, perhaps discussed elsewhere.

Regardless I wish Scirra well.
B
S
G

Post » Mon Apr 03, 2017 5:59 am

I'll just finish stuff with c2, subscription is too lock-in for me.
B
S
G

Post » Mon Apr 03, 2017 11:04 am

The main hateful thing is the subscription. So, For me, I'm trying to find an alternative game engine. Maybe Game Maker Studio. The only thing is making me wait is the hope that Scirra may change their mind and sell C3 in a reasonable one time payment (with no subscription). Otherwise, it means good bye Scirra.
B
S
G

Post » Tue Apr 04, 2017 3:04 am

@Tom @Ashley

The fix for the subscription issue has been solved by another company in the development space (not games development): Jetbrains. They had the same controversies moving to a subscription model and they introduced perpetual licences: https://sales.jetbrains.com/hc/en-gb/ar ... k-license-

The idea is simple, at the end of each 12 month period of a subscription you can use the last major version without an active subscription. So if you purchase Construct 3 and then after 12 months cancel your subscription, you can continue to use it but receive no new updates.

If you're planning on supporting native iOS and Android exports like Clickteam Fusion 2.5 offers, then a subscription fee is not unreasonable (at least to me). That alone would be enough of an upgrade for me. The current means of exporting to those platforms in Construct 2 pales in comparison to Clickteam Fusion.
B
S

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion