So What Is Your First Impression Of C3?

Post » Tue Apr 04, 2017 1:01 pm

Tom wrote:Customers would expect bug fixes, and retro fixes for breaking changes. This would be a headache to maintain. Secondly, support would become mired in difficulties with everyone running different versions.

I understand that. However it's either you don't provide these frozen versions regardless of how much users want it to feel safe for their projects or you'll put up a big warning sign that says something like "This version is no longer supported officially. We'd strongly encourage you to update to the latest version for new features, bug fixes and official support."

There will be always people who'll post topics with later versions, not understanding what that sign says. But since you constantly get questions for native exports and 3D support, I don't think that this would be such a big problem. Also, what about the offline versions? Say, an educational institute installs offline versions on their computers which don't have internet access and therefore can't be updated. When they ask for support, isn't this the same situation as someone using a frozen version?

There has been numerous examples of companies posted in different topics who do this frozen version thing. I don't think that they constantly support 100s of versions, yet they still can provide the frozen versions for their loyal subscribers. Just an idea: Make the user subscribe for a year, than only provide the frozen version when they renew their subscription. This would eliminate the problem of using old versions (since the user would update), but still would give them something to hold on. In my eyes the frozen versions' purpose would be to ease the community and give them something that can open/edit/export the projects that they made with the previous versions. The frozen version is not something that would need to be supported later on. I think anyone who is asking for such knows that, since you can't expect even a large company to support outdated versions of their software. However, providing these (at least in my eyes) would align with the open minded philosophy of Scirra.
B
S
G

Post » Tue Apr 04, 2017 1:41 pm

Limiting it to the desktop app doesn't fix anything. You still only need to find a newer version.
Scirra Founder
B
S
G

Post » Tue Apr 04, 2017 2:22 pm

They can't have an unlimited editor out in the wild. It could be copied endlessly.
Image ImageImage
B
S
G

Post » Tue Apr 04, 2017 2:32 pm

Construct 3 Is everything I hoped it would be. Can't wait to make some great games with it.
B
S
G

Post » Tue Apr 04, 2017 4:27 pm

newt wrote:They can't have an unlimited editor out in the wild. It could be copied endlessly.

I guess that's right. We saw that happen with C2.
B
S
G

Post » Tue Apr 04, 2017 4:32 pm

Salty!
B
S
G

Post » Tue Apr 04, 2017 4:34 pm

gameglaux wrote:Salty!

For anyone who missed the context, Lamar was back posting accusations that we're a scam company. Was willing to reconsider his ban at end of beta but not anymore. He's permanently banned now, account and IP address.
Image Image
Scirra Founder
B
S
G

Post » Tue Apr 04, 2017 4:54 pm

Tom wrote:

For anyone who missed the context, Lamar was back posting accusations that we're a scam company. Was willing to reconsider his ban at end of beta but not anymore. He's permanently banned now, account and IP address.

Aw man, I was hoping he was gonna send me a pathfinding example in my other thread! :lol:
B
S
G

Post » Tue Apr 04, 2017 6:08 pm

Any idea why I have post notifications in this thread but when I check nothing exists? Did some posts get deleted or something? I see Lamar got banned but the posts weren't from him.
B
S
G

Post » Tue Apr 04, 2017 9:18 pm

Tom wrote:

FINALLY. Thank you.
B
S
G

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion